• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Nap Reduction....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate when people make the argument that naps are unsafe.

I believe it has more to do with the individual.

I love naps. They fit "me" and my sleep habits. I realize that they are not for everyone. If you don't like them...fine - don't bid for them. But don't say they are unsafe because you don't like them.

To me, 4 days are dangerous. By day four, I am so home-sick that my mind is on being at home more than flying the airplane...and that can be just as unsafe!

I wish we had not asked for rigs to apply to naps. Seems it messed up the whole order of things. Now the most senior guys (not always the ones best suited for naps) are bidding naps because of line credit. They sing the "unsafe" song...but they love the money...and they keep on bidding them.

This is a late post in this thread so it will probably never be read, but...

Scott came into our recurrent and said that naps are not going away because he knows that they are necessary.

I like the long ones that pay over 7 hours and give me over 8 hours of sleep. There were a ton of those lines fall/winter.

I wonder if they'll still be like that.

What's so bad about a 4 day trip? Those are cake here.

What's so bad!? My time is worth more than that. I have a 2nd job and a wife. Why sit on my duff for 17hour overnights, 2 legs a day and 17 hours of block when I could be working a 3-day, get 19 hours of block, work my butt off and go home, sleep in my own bed with my wife on the 3rd night instead of LAW or SHV.

Work me or don't. but I can sit around at home thnx... (or work my 2nd job at home). 4-6 leg days are rough, but get it over with, go home and enjoy not being at work. More days off = more better.

4-days are a waste of my time and my life... I'd take 3-day weekends over 4-day weekdays any time.(even though I can hold 3-day partial weekends off most months)

P.S. if I wasn't a commuter I'd bid day lines or 2-days but 3-days are a better use of my time as a commuter.

Let me see if I have this straight. Some of you think naps are unsafe and some of you think 4 days are unsafe. Oh yeah, and some of you think Scott is a "tool" for recognizing that the pay credit for actual flight time on a nap is inefficient.

If you can't recognize that naps are a great deal for those pilots that want to fly them, then you probably do think Scott is clueless. I happen to fly both long trips and naps at the same time. I do a 6 day pattern and from time to time, one of the legs is in the middle of the night. I get 3 hours to sleep in the bunk. Same as a nap as I fly before and after. I guess I am in horribly unsafe!

Bottom line is that we pilots do a perceived easy job that is tough on your body no matter what type of schedule you operate.

What's so bad!? My time is worth more than that. I have a 2nd job and a wife. Why sit on my duff for 17hour overnights, 2 legs a day and 17 hours of block when I could be working a 3-day, get 19 hours of block, work my butt off and go home, sleep in my own bed with my wife on the 3rd night instead of LAW or SHV.

Work me or don't. but I can sit around at home thnx... (or work my 2nd job at home). 4-6 leg days are rough, but get it over with, go home and enjoy not being at work. More days off = more better.

4-days are a waste of my time and my life... I'd take 3-day weekends over 4-day weekdays any time.(even though I can hold 3-day partial weekends off most months)

P.S. if I wasn't a commuter I'd bid day lines or 2-days but 3-days are a better use of my time as a commuter.

Just curious as to why you have a second job? Doesn't your pay as an airline pilot (already above almost everyone else in the country) bring home enough for you? Sounds like you are living beyond your means and should downsize your lifestyle and expenses.

Just curious as to why you have a second job? Doesn't your pay as an airline pilot (already above almost everyone else in the country) bring home enough for you? Sounds like you are living beyond your means and should downsize your lifestyle and expenses.

I love naps. I plan to fly nothing but naps as long as I'm at this job. I hate 3-day and 4-day trips, but you don't see me running around trying to reduce the number of those we fly! If you don't like naps, don't bid them. If you are junior, then you are just going to have to suck it up like the rest of us did we were junior.

I have a 2nd job because the airline job doesn't pay as great as the old days, plus I don't want to work until I'm 65. I'm shooting for the ability to retire at 50, if I so desire. I could care less what the person next to me is making; their job is to take care of themselves.

Last edited:
Great news!

I broke up with a flight attendant on naps, but now with more 4-days, she told me her legs will be more spread-out.

We're getting back together.

This sucks!! As a lifelong napper am I gonna get a noshow for the remainder of the trip when I head for the parking lot after evry ATL landing?

Latest resources

Back