• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Mgmt cannot staff properly; wants new hire pay raises

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the company paid their existing pilots a reasonable rate, and treated them properly they wouldn't have a staffing problem. This "cry for help" from ASA management says nothing more than "While we don't value your contribution, we need your help to attract people who will work cheaper than you. Our problem is these people are beginning to expect a higher wage, so we need to adjust to that expectation. Don't forget there are still people out there willing to do your job for less."

A pilot considering a position with any airline should take the time to review the pay and lifestyle before committing to work for the company. New hires are not being "held hostage". The information about labor relations, current contract, quality of life, and contract negotiations is all available for the prospective new-hire to consult before agreeing to the situation.

The can't be that desperate. I have 2350 TT 260 ME ATP CFI-I-MEI 135 experience etc. Current part time instructor. I faxed my resume on Friday no call.

They could bypass this all by simply saying, "hey newhires, we will give you 10K bonus once you complete training".

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this does not violate any CBA's.

Incorrect. Any bonus to a specific segment of the pilot group that isn't allowed in the CBA is disparity of treatment and a violation of the status quo.

The MEC acted correctly, and management has shown their hand now. Now they've admitted that they have a staffing crisis. Leverage is shifting towards labor. Finally.

The can't be that desperate. I have 2350 TT 260 ME ATP CFI-I-MEI 135 experience etc. Current part time instructor. I faxed my resume on Friday no call.

Jeez, don't expect instant gratification, especially at this airline. Also, it's the week before July 4th, I would expect most in the GO are on a much deserved vacation!

interesting, the union does not want to give the more junior people a raise. It has been that way since airline unions were in place. Unions take advantage of people at the bottom of the list. Always has and always will be. I think it is the I had to work for that amount and everyone else should too theory. Of course anyone with a brain knows that is a bad theory to operate by.

Jeez, don't expect instant gratification, especially at this airline.

Yeah really. I waited two months for a call and six months for a class date and was well over the required mins., so cry me a river bud.

interesting, the union does not want to give the more junior people a raise. It has been that way since airline unions were in place. Unions take advantage of people at the bottom of the list. Always has and always will be. I think it is the I had to work for that amount and everyone else should too theory. Of course anyone with a brain knows that is a bad theory to operate by.

You are extremely uninformed sir. Do you know how many times in the past negotiations the Union has tried to provide protection to "new hires?" The Company's past position has always been, "We cannot provide protections for those pilots that are not here or have not been hired yet." This is a slippery slope and we all need to be on one page. This is not a Jr. vs. Sr. thing. This is about the ASA pilot group.

Trojan

You'll get a call soon. I don't think resumes are sitting around gathering dust...

Latest resources

Back