Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fins,

I love this statement of yours:

1. ALPA National is responsible for allowing this whipsaw to happen in the first place. Ref. PID and no, I will not get over it until it is fixed.

No, it started with the SkyWest guys voting to fly up to 99 seats for 50 seat rates, and they don't belong to ALPA. Mesa was an anomoly. SkyWest was not. Wrong again.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I can understand Bob's frustration. ASA pilots have been trying to get a decent contract for over two years now, then along come the Comair pilots ready to take concessions (yes, that is what a pay freeze is) for the "chance" that they might get to fly some bigger airplanes. There isn't much of a chance that ASA pilots will be able to get more than the Comair pay freeze contract if this happens.

I still remember the giddy Comair pilots running around our crew lounge after they came into ATL to take our flying. They were oh so glad to be there. Now they are gone, but they have found a new way to whore themselves out and screw the ASA pilots (and what is left of the profession).

sleepy said:
I can understand Bob's frustration. ASA pilots have been trying to get a decent contract for over two years now, then along come the Comair pilots ready to take concessions (yes, that is what a pay freeze is) for the "chance" that they might get to fly some bigger airplanes. There isn't much of a chance that ASA pilots will be able to get more than the Comair pay freeze contract if this happens.

I still remember the giddy Comair pilots running around our crew lounge after they came into ATL to take our flying. They were oh so glad to be there. Now they are gone, but they have found a new way to whore themselves out and screw the ASA pilots (and what is left of the profession).

Sleepy,

I still remember giddy ASA pilots running around our crew lounge talking about the CMR airplanes we got during their strike. These ASA pilots were excited over the "new" airplanes.

Bob's frustration is misplaced. I've said a hundred times and I'll say it again. Either prevent management from putting flying out for bid, or participate in the bidding. It does no good to allow bidding and simultaneously criticize it when it happens.

This public disagreement that Bob has started will only put a smile on the face of Delta management. ALPA's failure to prevent bidding should be the focus of his frustration.

InclusiveScope said:
Sleepy,

I still remember giddy ASA pilots running around our crew lounge talking about the CMR airplanes we got during their strike. These ASA pilots were excited over the "new" airplanes.

Bob's frustration is misplaced. I've said a hundred times and I'll say it again. Either prevent management from putting flying out for bid, or participate in the bidding. It does no good to allow bidding and simultaneously criticize it when it happens.

This public disagreement that Bob has started will only put a smile on the face of Delta management. ALPA's failure to prevent bidding should be the focus of his frustration.

Sorry, but I believe that the two aircraft DCI sent ASA during your 89 day strike never left the maintenance facility in MCN. I can't imagine that any ASA pilots were excited about sitting in a parked Comair aircraft down in MCN.

sleepy said:
Sorry, but I believe that the two aircraft DCI sent ASA during your 89 day strike never left the maintenance facility in MCN. I can't imagine that any ASA pilots were excited about sitting in a parked Comair aircraft down in MCN.

I'm not so sure about that. I wasn't excited about it, but I remember flying some -100 series RJs for a bit here at ASA. They were later returned.

America West was the first airline to dramatically cut unrestricted, walkup and first class fares. They started this almost two years ago now if my memory serves correctly. There may have been a 40-70% decrease in fares but the result was a solid increase in the number of bookings and business travelers and a return to profitability. Sure it took time, but it has worked in the past as indicated above.

On a second note, why is it that many pilots at small-jet feeder carriers get this idea in their head that the flying they do is THEIR flying. There is no such thing. The parent, mainline company owns that flying and they determine who it is farmed out to. Yes, it stinks that flying that has traditionally been flown by a DCI carrier, an Eagle or a Continental Express all of a sudden gets moved over to another DCI carrier, American Connection or a Skywest. However, we are all under "contract" to fly for the mainline carrier as they see fit. To get all pissy with each other's pilot group only serves to create discourse and lower the professional stature for us all.

sleepy said:

How did we take your flying? Did you lose any airplanes? I think not. Using your logic, you are taking our flying with all those ASA planes at Concourse A.

And giddy about flying out of ATL? You must be joking....

JetPilot_Mike said:
And giddy about flying out of ATL? You must be joking....

He's kinda got a point there. ATL was the last place any one of us wanted to be. I highly doubt anybody was gloating in ops. It took us a year just to find the door.

It can be just as easily said that ASA pilots were gloating in Dallas, where several of our pilots had already bought houses in preparation for our new base, and in CVG with the ATR's and now 50's and 70's. Did it happen? I didn't see any ungrateful ASA pilots, although I can't say the same for the CHQ guys when they were in concourse C.

InclusiveScope said:

I flew those airplanes - I don't think anyone was excited about it, and we weren't under any illusion that they were "new" airplanes. We knew they were Comair's, and we knew they were complete pieces of crap. Management "bought" them, so we had to fly them.

Anyone who was excited about those things is a fool.

Stop it children. This is pointless. Our goal should be to keep as much Delta Connection flying with ASA and Comair as possible. I saw a pretty cool sticker on a flight bag today that said "Comair pilots support ASA pilots". No matter what our MECs do or say, I think this rings true for our majority as it does vice versa.

Latest resources

Back