• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA JCBA: Longterm reserve pilot relief provision

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never been through a merge JCBA before. But I agree with all your previous points. Or, the new JCBA will be an average of the two. XJT's brought down, ASA's brought up to meet in the middle. Example, I believe ASA's ready reserve is 8 hours? Correct me if I'm wrong. XJT's is 4 hours. New JCBA will be 6 hours.

I hope that XJT pilots would veto any TA that is an average of the two contracts by voting it down. In other words, I hope we vote down anything that isn't an improvement to our current contract. In fact, I hope the JNC doesn't even reach an agreement like that or that our MEC would approve it to begin with.

Yeah, I know, there is a lot of hope in that statement.

I hope that XJT pilots would veto any TA that is an average of the two contracts by voting it down. In other words, I hope we vote down anything that isn't an improvement to our current contract. In fact, I hope the JNC doesn't even reach an agreement like that or that our MEC would approve it to begin with.

Yeah, I know, there is a lot of hope in that statement.

I "hope" so too. I '"hope" they can take the BEST of both contracts, and up EVERY section to a truly "industry leading" CBA. But you can sh1t in one hand and hope in the other and see which one fills up first. After the crap fest we've seen at XJT with BOTH management AND our MEC since, oh, I don't know, early Sept 2008, who knows?

Without a resolution to the "portfolio" issue and some meaningful brand scope, I don't want to have an "industry leading" contract....Do we really want to become the next Comair?

Now if ALPA wants to get real about meaningful brand scope, then we can work on really raising the bar...absent that, I'm content with middle of the pack....

Also you are wrong about your bucket comment. If you are on reserve for more than 4 days in a row you are put into the 4 day bucket so yes you can pick up a 4 day trip.

How do you interpret this part of LOA 8?

e. A reserve pilot may only pick up a trip that has the same number of duty days as the available duty days left in the pilot’s current block of duty days. For example, a pilot with a block of 4 days of reserve availability may only pick up a 4-day trip.

My gosh, did you get displaced to the left seat? Otherwise, bid back to the right seat and enjoy the 3 day trips or your choice of 4 days.

That's not the point, and you know it. Again, someone bashing someone that wants to improve conditions in the future. My gosh, why do we bother with new contracts? Aren't we hoping to improve things? Maybe the issues you are concerned about we should just gloss over, because, after all, nobody is making you work here, right?

Improving the reserve system should be a top priority, I agree. However, I won't listen to a captain on reserve say to people in the crew lounge how bad things are.
The reserve system should work exactly as its written in the contract, and when it doesn't, speak up! Our reserve rules are crap, it affords way too much flexibility on the part of the company.

However, want what you bid, bid what you want.

Right! So in discussing it, we are hoping to bring to light the short comings and attempt to brainstorm some possible solutions. So, the lecture on how 'well, you bid it so don't complain' is ridiculous! If that is the case, nobody has any right to complain about ANY pay, work rules or QOL issues!

No, it's all about expectations. I'm guessing you upgraded in the midst of a large hiring wave and you didn't get enough people under you in your seat at your base; so now you're looking for more.

ASA and XJet are negotiating a contract now, and the EXPECTATION is significant improvements for both premerger pilot groups. Whether it be best practice or reforming each group's collective bargaining agreement, I think each group owes it to themselves to receive significant improvements. Jerry Atkins is no fool, and he knows it will not be a concessionary contract for either group. Pilots absolutely have the right to complain about falling short of their expectations or their written contract if it is not upheld, I quite agree. Don't sit there though and say "Well I've been on reserve for X years and I think I'm entitled to a line." Sorry, your complaint will fall on deaf ears...

Wait just a second!! I never said I'm entitled to anything. In fact, I said I agree with Joe M, but that guys who never sat reserve for practically a day have no right to tell guys stuck on it for years to suck it up, cause it used to be so much worse!

Now if ALPA wants to get real about meaningful brand scope, then we can work on really raising the bar...absent that, I'm content with middle of the pack....

I can understand your point about being "middle of the pack", as well as the COMAIR correlation. But I can't agree that that's whats best.

But if that's what happens, it can mean that the majority of the pilots on the new list will have gone through a concession.

I don't know about anybody else, but after going through 2 concessionary contracts and a total of 4 pay cuts, I'm just not up for that Joe, YMMV.

Latest resources

Back