• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA is staffted well.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DAL HR has already told Asa mgmt not to expect the same help. The relationship isn't what it used to be.

SH did brag that he "asked", but did DAL actually do it? IIRC the majority of pilots hired then came from ASA (myself included) and ASA still lost 30 a month. I seriously doubt DAL and UAL care about ASA's staffing problems. In fact, it's insanely idiotic to think that they would hire a less qualified candidate just so that the better candidate can stay at ASA and solve ASA's staffing issues. DAL knows that if ASA doesn't meet its goals, they can be replaced with someone else.

You really aren't understanding the issue. UAL and DAL, and AMR do care if we have a staffing issue. We fill their planes. There is no possibility that we get replaced by someone else. Why you ask? Because the pilot shortage has arrived at the regional level. There are no pilots with ATP's that want to come work in this industry for $22/hr. Ok, so maybe none is an overstatement, but the real number is nowhere near the upcoming retirements. Laws of supply and demand are in work here. Labor is insisting wages go up to increase demand. Management is aggressively lobbying Capitol Hill for relief of ATP requirement, thereby increasing supply. As it stands today, Delta would be screwed if they transferred flying from one supplier to another. We can't fill our classes now. Neither can GoJet.

If wages at the regional get raised enough to attract the applicants required to cover all attrition, then the cost advantage of sub-contracting erodes. Think about it. It would probably require a 25+% increase in wages and the elimination of first year poverty to effectively alter supply. If you are going to pay that, then you might as well bring the flying in house.

There is no easy way out of this mess.

SH did brag that he "asked", but did DAL actually do it? IIRC the majority of pilots hired then came from ASA (myself included) and ASA still lost 30 a month. I seriously doubt DAL and UAL care about ASA's staffing problems. In fact, it's insanely idiotic to think that they would hire a less qualified candidate just so that the better candidate can stay at ASA and solve ASA's staffing issues. DAL knows that if ASA doesn't meet its goals, they can be replaced with someone else.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe the ASA attrition would've been even higher had they not asked? I agree that once they interview someone, they aren't going to turn them down because they are from ASA, but they may spread around the interviews a bit.

No matter what, people are going to be leaving as fast as they can in this next round. People who can't interview at Delta will interview at United, AA/ USAir, JetBlue, Virgin, Spirit, etc. If only one airline were hiring, maybe they could stem the tide a bit, but once hiring begins at all Majors, that's not possible.

You really aren't understanding the issue. UAL and DAL, and AMR do care if we have a staffing issue. We fill their planes. There is no possibility that we get replaced by someone else. Why you ask? Because the pilot shortage has arrived at the regional level. There are no pilots with ATP's that want to come work in this industry for $22/hr. Ok, so maybe none is an overstatement, but the real number is nowhere near the upcoming retirements. Laws of supply and demand are in work here. Labor is insisting wages go up to increase demand. Management is aggressively lobbying Capitol Hill for relief of ATP requirement, thereby increasing supply. As it stands today, Delta would be screwed if they transferred flying from one supplier to another. We can't fill our classes now. Neither can GoJet.

If wages at the regional get raised enough to attract the applicants required to cover all attrition, then the cost advantage of sub-contracting erodes. Think about it. It would probably require a 25+% increase in wages and the elimination of first year poverty to effectively alter supply. If you are going to pay that, then you might as well bring the flying in house.

There is no easy way out of this mess.

In case you haven't noticed, Airbusses and 88s/90s are now flying to places like TRI, CHA, AGS, OKC, TUL, etc. You answered your own question. No one said ASA is getting replaced by another regional. The 50 seat RJs are going away, and mainline is getting new narrow body airplanes. Yes, the economics are supporting this. Do the math.

In case you haven't noticed, Airbusses and 88s/90s are now flying to places like TRI, CHA, AGS, OKC, TUL, etc. You answered your own question. No one said ASA is getting replaced by another regional. The 50 seat RJs are going away, and mainline is getting new narrow body airplanes. Yes, the economics are supporting this. Do the math.

I hope it continues! Put us out of our misery.;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back