• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Insurance Plan debacle!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are on those meds, then you do need to crunch the numbers....A single person who ends up with $100 a month in health care costs ends up about spending about the same either way....PPO or HSA.....

Except that under the PPO plan you don't pay anything close to that much with the co-pays... more like $20 for a 3 month supply.

It's all a hypothetical situation anyway, but I just wanted to make the point that doctor's visits aren't the issue I have with healthcare costs.

If I'm going to spend the same either way, I'd rather be on the PPO... but like I said that would change if they kicked some money into my HSA every year (not just a one-time deal).

Except that under the PPO plan you don't pay anything close to that much with the co-pays... more like $20 for a 3 month supply.

It's all a hypothetical situation anyway, but I just wanted to make the point that doctor's visits aren't the issue I have with healthcare costs.

If I'm going to spend the same either way, I'd rather be on the PPO... but like I said that would change if they kicked some money into my HSA every year (not just a one-time deal).

Part of the reason health care costs are so high is because we use third parties to pay for things that really should be paid out of pocket....If we had the same system for our cars, we would be using car insurance for oil changes and routine car repairs...The result would be much higher auto insurance rates, and much higher costs for oil changes....

I suspect we will be able to negotiate improvements to the HSA....as long as we don't have negotiators that tow the AFLCIO line of not liking HSAs in the first place....HSA's are the best shot at meaningful health care reform...That along with allowing insurance companies to compete across state lines would do far more than this boondoggle currently working it's way through Congress.

Exactly. I have about $9000 in my HSA now and don't need to rely on "Obama care"....It's growing tax free and provides a nice safety net....

Obama care is just that, a safety net. Just as social security is a safety net. Ask any senior who lives off SS alone and I'm sure they wish that they had more to live off of.

I'm glad to see that you guys still have medical coverage at ASA. Having said that, if SkyWest ever pulls the plug on health insurance or if someone finds themselves part of a furlough, a public option is better than nothing.

Jeger

Hey Joe, are you still persona non grata with ALPA? Your views would be helpful over on that web-board.

Dental and vision are still under the PPO, but you can use the HSA for the copays rather than the FSA.

After reading the Q&A I may be wrong about this. I thought I read something different elsewhere. sorry

All the same, they said that the current deductible is not fixed, so that means that it will increase over time. Sure, the PPO premiums will increase also, but the company has a vested interest in keeping them lower because they pay 70% of those. Our out of pocket expenses they could care less about.

Hey Joe, are you still persona non grata with ALPA? Your views would be helpful over on that web-board.

I'm still not allowed there....Shouldn't be much longer though and I'll be back over on the ALPA boards...

Here's my situation. We have a PPO with 10% copay, $5000 max/yr. Baby born 2mo early, wife spends 7days in hospital, baby 10days in NICU (thats very short for 2mo early)Bill for mommy, $47,000ish, bill for baby $130,000ish. Out of pocket $5000ish. How would that work out on your plan?

$6000 max out of pocket and $165/month or $1980/year less in premiums.

Oh yeah.. that's right. The guy with a hundred personalities.

*Skywest is taking over ASA
*ASA is doing better than ever, thanks to Skywest.
*Thanks a lot ASA, you a-holes.
*No seriously, thanks a lot ASA. Keep up the good work.

Which is it today? Tomorrow will be "Wow! how awesome is this preferential bidding stuff?"

Couldn't have said it better!

Trojan

Latest resources

Back