• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Insurance Plan debacle!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, i figure between the three kids and myself (wife never gets sick), we probably go to the Dr. about 12-15 times per year. Right now the copay is $20.00 for the Dr visit, and $10 for each drug. Without the ppo, the Dr will probably be around $140, and each drug around $50. Just about every year on the CDHP, I would hit my deductable. Seems the PPO would be cheaper for me.

Thanks for all the info. One more question. Is our dental ins on this same plan? In other words, will the cost of dental visits come out of pocket and count towards the $2400 deductible or is that plan separate?

Dental and vision are still under the PPO, but you can use the HSA for the copays rather than the FSA.

Last edited:
Well, i figure between the three kids and myself (wife never gets sick), we probably go to the Dr. about 12-15 times per year. Right now the copay is $20.00 for the Dr visit, and $10 for each drug. Without the ppo, the Dr will probably be around $140, and each drug around $50. Just about every year on the CDHP, I would hit my deductable. Seems the PPO would be cheaper for me.

Using 15 doctor visits, and 10 drugs, the HSA comes out better with the numbers you provided during the first two years with the $1000 dollars. That comes to about $2600 out of pocket. You have to break $3000 for the PPO to beat it.

You guys are only discussing the family plan. I agree for that the HSA makes a little bit of sense.

For the single or two party plan, unless you're extremely healthy, moving away from the PPO is a step backward.

If ASA/SkyWest was serious about moving us to this plan, they should have given us yearly contributions into our HSA. If ASA paid my deductible every year into my HSA I would switch in a heartbeat!

You guys are only discussing the family plan. I agree for that the HSA makes a little bit of sense.

For the single or two party plan, unless you're extremely healthy, moving away from the PPO is a step backward.

If ASA/SkyWest was serious about moving us to this plan, they should have given us yearly contributions into our HSA. If ASA paid my deductible every year into my HSA I would switch in a heartbeat!

Agreed. Even if they had to pay it would still save them money over the PPO. So maybe that will actually happen.

I only used the family plan because kids generate more trips to the doctor. You are correct that the numbers are less favorable for the single plan, but generally speaking, younger single folks don't go to the doctor much. If you don't use the doctor much, the HSA is much better than the PPO.

With the single plan, the most you can be out of pocket the next two years is about $2000 dollars each year....That's if something bad happens. If you don't go to the doctor, you have about $6100 in your HSA at the end of the two years.

It's not just about going to the doctor that much. Prescription medication would be the big killer.

Some people could easily spend $100/mo on meds if they had to pay retail prices and not the co-pays.

I only used the family plan because kids generate more trips to the doctor. You are correct that the numbers are less favorable for the single plan, but generally speaking, younger single folks don't go to the doctor much. If you don't use the doctor much, the HSA is much better than the PPO.

With the single plan, the most you can be out of pocket the next two years is about $2000 dollars each year....That's if something bad happens. If you don't go to the doctor, you have about $6100 in your HSA at the end of the two years.
Bingo-The money becomes yours to store up now and spend when you really need it. It rewards those who don't have kids and take better care of themselves.

It's not just about going to the doctor that much. Prescription medication would be the big killer.

Some people could easily spend $100/mo on meds if they had to pay retail prices and not the co-pays.

If you are on those meds, then you do need to crunch the numbers....A single person who ends up with $100 a month in health care costs ends up about spending about the same either way....PPO or HSA.....

Bingo-The money becomes yours to store up now and spend when you really need it. It rewards those who don't have kids and take better care of themselves.

Exactly. I have about $9000 in my HSA now and don't need to rely on "Obama care"....It's growing tax free and provides a nice safety net....

Latest resources

Back