• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA In Five Years? Or Even 2.5 Years?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Darn right it could happen to me. I see it taking 10 years or so to get to that point at which time I'll be ready to retire if necessary....I'm not being selfish, I'm pointing out that the junior folks will be hurt a lot more than us senior lifers at this point. If I was being selfish, I would just sit back and watch the slow sinking of the Titanic...

The ones who will get hurt the most are actually the ones who are trying to move on....Unless you can check one of the special "boxes", you need to upgrade and get PIC time...

Thanks for the condescending attitude but no need to look down your nose at me, I'm not an First Officer (I hope you don't treat your FO's like your comment might suggest) and I have more than a thousand hours PIC so I'll move on when the time comes.

My hope is that when the retirements kick in (and they will, it's only a matter of time) and the Majors start to hire away all the regional pilots who want to go, you'll be left flying for regional pay while all those First Officers you thought you were better than upgrade, move to the majors and make double the pay you do.

Makes me very happy that I did not participate in that video they were making in the lounge a few weeks ago for recruiting. On second thought, I'd like to do it now, but with my script, not theirs.

I honestly think we will continue to shrink. But, I also think other regionals will shrink too. Not enough pilots out there. I think there is supply for a year. Then there will be a network-redefining shortage for a couple of years. After that, the word will be out and the market will begin correcting. My deep down hope is that the regional industry disappears. Our inability to hire will force resources (pilots) into larger aircraft with less frequency. So long as mainline holds the line on scope and we continue to increase costs, it makes better business case to stop farming out the lift and operate the big, newest gen RJ's at mainline.

ps. According to APC, Gojet has 250 pilots currently. 12 jets will require 120 or so new pilots. Thats 50% expansion in 6 months. I would not be surprised if we hold on to a few until they get it together.

Last edited:
Thanks for the condescending attitude but no need to look down your nose at me, I'm not an First Officer (I hope you don't treat your FO's like your comment might suggest) and I have more than a thousand hours PIC so I'll move on when the time comes.

My hope is that when the retirements kick in (and they will, it's only a matter of time) and the Majors start to hire away all the regional pilots who want to go, you'll be left flying for regional pay while all those First Officers you thought you were better than upgrade, move to the majors and make double the pay you do.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it? How did I "look down my nose at you"? When did I say you are a "first officer"? Even if I did, which I didn't why is that "looking down my nose"? I simply said, that junior pilots are going to be hurt more than older "lifers"...I also said that it is FOs, which happen to be junior, that need to upgrade to be more marketable to leave.

I'm all for people leaving...I hope you leave soon...Your ability to read however is worrying me that you may be stuck here...That isn't good for either of us...

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it? How did I "look down my nose at you"? When did I say you are a "first officer"? Even if I did, which I didn't why is that "looking down my nose"? I simply said, that junior pilots are going to be hurt more than older "lifers"...I also said that it is FOs, which happen to be junior, that need to upgrade to be more marketable to leave.

I'm all for people leaving...I hope you leave soon...Your ability to read however is worrying me that you may be stuck here...That isn't good for either of us...

The TPIC requirement is bogus unless you're headed to the military flying club of FedEx. A number of our F/O's that have less that 2-3k TOTAL and the only PIC they have is on their multi engine checkride, let alone anything turbine have gotten hired at big D. The TPIC requirement will be out the window across the board if the majors continue to operate at the size they are now and cannot fill classes. That being said, if ASA shrinks so much they guys with 12-13 years are downgraded or even furloughed, what are you going to do? Start over on the bottom? Go on a pro shuffleboard tourney?? National seniority list discussions aside, the system is the way it is, and there's not a damn thing we're going to do the change it. Despite how much we may want to.

The younger group, specifically, those that were hired at DL were hired because they were not going to go anywhere else other than DL. They can give DL 20-30 years worth of flying? It would be highly doubtful that they majors desire candidates that are 50+. I'm not saying I endorse that philosophy, but it seems that the latest hires have not fit that profile.

Your argument seems to indicate that the younger group will be the most hurt. I respectfully disagree.

Darn right it could happen to me. I see it taking 10 years or so to get to that point at which time I'll be ready to retire if necessary....I'm not being selfish, I'm pointing out that the junior folks will be hurt a lot more than us senior lifers at this point. If I was being selfish, I would just sit back and watch the slow sinking of the Titanic...

The ones who will get hurt the most are actually the ones who are trying to move on....Unless you can check one of the special "boxes", you need to upgrade and get PIC time...

You don't need to worry about my reading comprehension (got that four year "box" checked and read perfectly well, thank you), it's what you imply with your tone and attitude that is condescending.

Speaking of your "special boxes" checked remark, that comment has hints of racism/sexism to it. I assume you're implying that if you're a woman or a minority, you don't need to worry about an upgrade, you're already guaranteed a spot at the Majors. What's wrong, did you watch one to many women get hired on at the Majors while you were stuck here at ASA for whatever reason?

It sounds to me like you were too afraid or just unable to get past an interview at a Major, so now you're in your mid to late forties trying to tell yourself you made the right decision by staying at the regional level. The problem is that you can see that the regionals are in trouble AGAIN and when they can't hire any more pilots to keep growing and the pilots at airlines get too old/senior/expensive like you, the regionals will shrink and die just like Comair is in the process of doing.

By the way, you don't need to worry about me being stuck here either. I'm smart enough to have more than one back up plan to this career and if ASA were to close it's doors tomorrow, I'd be perfectly fine. Can you say the same?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back