ASA In Five Years? Or Even 2.5 Years?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every airline has a Gen. Lee....

-Apologies, folks-our is acting up again.

Thanks man, I guess Joe and I are brothers....

Joe is actually right on one point, this isn't only a problem at Delta, it is a problem due to high oil prices and the inefficiencies of 50 seat RJs, and also now 70 seat RJs. Also, Regionals tend to go for pay instead of scope in contracts because of the lower pay associated with that job.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Nobody should be furloughed. XJT needs to stop hiring immediately and start flowing excess ASA pilots that way. ASA Downgrades will probably happen because now XJT has a damn good reason to put fences up. SLI will be very interesting....

Most of you guys have been screaming for fences to be put up to shield your 700/900s from us. I wanted no fences from the beginning with all open positions available the day after the SLI comes out. Now some of you are worried about downgrades and reserve and all of the sudden want no fences at all, funny how that happens. XJT will continue to upgrade and hire while ASA becomes stagnant. SLI and JCBA are atleast 12 months away if not more than that. I don't expect to see any cross pollination for years which is too bad for us that want ATL. I will probably hold XJT CA before I could bid ATL FO. 500 new hires this year for XJT, so which is it fences or no fences?

ASA can't flush excess pilots over to XJT unless they want to be new hires at the bottom.

Last edited:
I am not a lifer at ASA (hopefully), but I have been there for 11 years. As much as mainline pilots want growth at mainline and it looks like it is headed back in that direction which is good, they should be paying attention to the fact that 10 year regional pilots who have not been hired because of age 65, 9-11, economic meltdowns, etc are getting bypassed for FO's with no pic!! I know of many, many examples of this first hand. For no other reason than it makes the mainline job that much cheaper (for lack of a better word). This doesn't even bring into account that there are how many Compass kids going to Delta now? Those backpacks are going to look really good with those double breasted jackets this winter!!!

Losing those 8 CRJ700s, wouldn't that just take us back to the original number of CRJ7s that we had, since we got 8 from Horizon?

Now, losing 6 CRJ2s, that might create some issues...

I just don't want to see anyone get displaced, downgraded, pushed back on reserve, etc.

You are correct that once the 8 CRJ700s leave we will be back to our orig number of CRJ7s. The only shimmer of hope is that we can find work for our CRJ2s even if they are doing at risk flying. I don't see Brad just letting them sit at the A Tech doing nothing.

You are correct that once the 8 CRJ700s leave we will be back to our orig number of CRJ7s. The only shimmer of hope is that we can find work for our CRJ2s even if they are doing at risk flying. I don't see Brad just letting them sit at the A Tech doing nothing.

I dont think they would be sitting at A-Tech unless A-Tech has moved to Victorville or somewhere in AZ where all the aircraft boneyards are.

Guys calm down. ASA lost 8 airplanes....not really a big deal .Don't let them scare you into voting on a POS contract. Been there done that with XJT and most guys here are not afraid of the musings of the clown that runs this place. Keep your head up and fight on

I dont think they would be sitting at A-Tech unless A-Tech has moved to Victorville or somewhere in AZ where all the aircraft boneyards are.

My pt is that Skywest has been doing at risk flying for a long tx now and making money at it. This is still a fall back option if Brad can't find other work for these airframes. I don't see them making that long flight west any time soon.

Guys calm down. ASA lost 8 airplanes....not really a big deal .Don't let them scare you into voting on a POS contract. Been there done that with XJT and most guys here are not afraid of the musings of the clown that runs this place. Keep your head up and fight on

ASA lost 8 700s, SKW 4 700s, and ASA highly likely to lose 6 200s as well. Its a big deal. We will never be able to compete with Gojet or Compass even if we took a significant paycut. They are just too junior with newer, less maintenance hog planes.

The writing is on the wall. SKW bid below cost for us airways flying. ASA got the IAD flying only because SKW loaned money to UAL and TSA couldn't. ASA got 900s only because we agreed to get rid of 20 200s.

Latest resources

Back