• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA HF radios and First Class Meals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HF's needed for Class II navigation approval. They are illegal to use in CONUS on aviation bands. To go to Bermuda you have to have rafts since it is greater than 157 miles from land. DL is getting it's 900's equipped the same so they can whipsaw them between carriers. They will also swap routes so after doing ELP for a few months it will move to another carrier. No more eggs in one basket.

HF can be used in receive mode, "listen" in USA, all day long. Its the same thing as having a shortwave receiver on your coffee table, inside the US.

you cannot TRANSMIT domestically, technically, per FCC regs. FAA could care less, they dont regulate airwaves

HF can be used in receive mode, "listen" in USA, all day long. Its the same thing as having a shortwave receiver on your coffee table, inside the US.

you cannot TRANSMIT domestically, technically, per FCC regs. FAA could care less, they dont regulate airwaves

You can transmit for a ground HF SELCAL check. Those are done every day...just can't be fueling when you do the check.

Last edited:
There's nothing mystical about an HF radio-it's not like it has 15,000 watts of power and will give you cancer-it just operates on a lower frequency. You shouldn't need to use the HF in the US, but I don't understand why it's banned for transmission. There are tons of HF transmissions originating from the CONUS all the time and have been for decades.

You can transmit for a ground HF SELCAL check. Those are done every day...just can't be fueling when you do the check.

ok well there you go. I guess my point was that everybody was saying the world's orbit around the sun would stop if you transmitted inside USA.

please

Do we have to post every company memo on here? I swear, this is like Embry Riddle Grad School or something.

Seriously....I agree with you there...
Why can't everybody just shut the flock up about all those things that no one gives a rat bottom about???
I didn't go to Embry Riddle but is it like that other there??? scary man!!

Latest resources

Back