• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Happenings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand that the hiring pool will be replenished with applicants that have a recommendation from an ASA pilot. They are also going to be more selective due to the greater availability of experienced pilots. I undrstand that the only inexperienced pilots hired will come from the intern programs. This info is from an intern that works in the GO.

GeneralTso,

It may be a generalization, then again it may be a truism.

If one is an experienced pilot, why are they working as an intern???

Generally, an intern, by definition is one who is working for low or no wages in order to GAIN experience/exposure in the industry in which they hope to someday be employed.

Define experienced pilot... one who has 5000 hours? One who has done single pilot IFR at night carrying checks through freezing rain?

I private pilot I know has over 10,000 hours of VFR day flying. Is he an experinced pilot?

I've seen and heard of "experienced" pilots busting sim rides to either get a job or to pass training.

In my opinion too much emphasis is put on hours. People relate high hours with people that have good judgement. If you look at the NTSB records, many of those high hours pilots have made fatal mistakes.

I am not saying lower time pilots aren't prone to mistakes, all I am saying is that it is more about the pilots attitude then the amount of hours he/she has.

generaltso said:
Define experienced pilot... one who has 5000 hours? One who has done single pilot IFR at night carrying checks through freezing rain?

I private pilot I know has over 10,000 hours of VFR day flying. Is he an experinced pilot?

I've seen and heard of "experienced" pilots busting sim rides to either get a job or to pass training.

In my opinion too much emphasis is put on hours. People relate high hours with people that have good judgement. If you look at the NTSB records, many of those high hours pilots have made fatal mistakes.

I am not saying lower time pilots aren't prone to mistakes, all I am saying is that it is more about the pilots attitude then the amount of hours he/she has.

I don't disagree. However, we were discussing interns, not the difference between high and low time pilots. As a rule interns, by definition tend to be those with little experience hoping to gain a job by means of servitude in lieu of experience.

I am no authority on interns, but all of the ones we have hired at ASA are just out of college, were in an aviation program, and have about 300 hours TT. I don't care if you are civilian or military, at that level of experience, you are relatively inexperienced.
They seem to get through training alright (during the internship they go through ground and sim training), they are good people (I am friends with a few), but they don't have a lot of real world aviation experience. That is why they are in the intern program working for minimum wage.
I don't know what level of experience ASA is looking for, but with all of the regional pilots on furlough right now, who are already qualified in our aircraft, why should they hire some guy that is flying checks in a cessna?

It's funny how things have changed. In 1968 major airlines were hiring people off the street to work for them with no experience. Are they inexperienced people...YES. They had the minimum of commerical/instrument/multi. Of course they were going to FE positions but still working for a major airline and have a major responsibility. Don't get me wrong. Experience is a very valuable item but you have a captain/training to aid you thru your experience. IMHO, I believe most airlines look at personality more than experience.

They are going to spend around $25,000 on your training, I think they are looking for people who are likely to be successful in the training, fit the company profile, and get along with the other children.
Many European airlines hire people with no experience, then train them. Most US airlines like the already trained and experienced pilot. That is just the way it is.
There are probably many inexperienced pilots who can get through the traing and do the job, they just can't get the interview.

In response to Generaltso

Like it or not, there is no substitute for experience.
We are always learning. When you reach the point where you feel that you know it all you are probably dangerous.

Really not trying to slam you at all. I'm sure you are a fine pilot with great judgement. But as you gain experience you will understand this more clearly. Kind of like how as you get older Mom and Dad don't seem so dumb anymore.

Good luck in this tough industry. Seems we are all being taught lessons about life with all of the furloughs and such. Just consider it more experience to learn from.

Fly safe

One who has done single pilot IFR at night carrying checks through freezing rain?

No, I would call that a STUPID pilot!!

private pilot I know has over 10,000 hours of VFR day flying. Is he an experinced pilot?

No, thats an experienced weekend warrior.

How do you "bust" a sim ride to get a job??? I think you get the job if you pass!

Sorry, I was bored tonight! hehe
gump

Latest resources

Back