• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA, DAL almost collide in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure, but turning on the taxi and/or landing lights while in position aren't going to do much to stop a plane approaching you from behind.

And it's directly contrary to the guidance provided in AC 120-74A.

This practice may have had nothing to do with this incident, but one day it will. Who else besides Alaska still has this as SOP?

And it's directly contrary to the guidance provided in AC 120-74A.

This practice may have had nothing to do with this incident, but one day it will. Who else besides Alaska still has this as SOP?

Seems pretty standard in ATL. Everyone seems to do it.

Sure it does. At nighttime, which is when that LAX incident happened I believe. Daytime, not so much!

The airplane landing on you, approaching from behind, is going to see your taxi light? Which shines forward. How?

Not sure, but turning on the taxi and/or landing lights while in position aren't going to do much to stop a plane approaching you from behind.

but maybe strobes will, and that is an ASA SOP. Even though some people may not like it, it is an attention getter!!!!!!!

The airplane landing on you, approaching from behind, is going to see your taxi light? Which shines forward. How?

Um, it lights up the runway in front of you so the airplane behind you will see the bright spot and wonder why the runway is lit up like that. Kind of like pointing a flashlight forward to see in front of you when you're walking? Big bright spot.

Um, it lights up the runway in front of you so the airplane behind you will see the bright spot and wonder why the runway is lit up like that. Kind of like pointing a flashlight forward to see in front of you when you're walking? Big bright spot.

I love it when the obvious is stated.

Nah....I think it makes the runway numbers appear to self-illuminate, prompting the copilot to say "kewl....glow-in-the-dark paint!"

As a controller, I actually appreciate the value of the old lights on, lights off practice. Many of us (espicially the oldtimers) watch (even during the day) what you have illuminated as you approach a runway with a hold short instruction. If you're all lit up, and have been told to hold short, I am going to say something....again...just to be sure.

I will say in this case, that given the particulars, that lights being off or on was proabbly not a contributing factor. However, just maybe, it will prevent the next one!! Just a thought.

BTW, today was really nice. I would like to thank everyone for the improved hold short readbacks! I do not think I had to ask anyone (except maybe 2 total out of my whole day - which is a true record) to read back their hold short instructions correctly! Almost 100% gave me correct and complete readbacks almost all day! Please keep up the great work. It makes my job infinitely easier, and will keep you a whole lot safer!!

Last edited:

Good point. I'll give you that one... hadn't thought of it. But during the day... not so much. Yet many still do it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back