• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Crew food

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not sure why you would have First Officers slide their seat back and fill out paperwork when approaching your parking spot...seems a little unsafe. ;)
Ditto,
My point is there is tremendous pressure to save,save,save the company money, and we are the only ones who are the final arbitrators as to the ultimate safety of those decisions. I don't have those F/O's slide their seats back, I stop the A/C and ask them to resume the flying position until the chocks are in. They are being seduced by the smooth and less than subtle voice of the beancounters, to hurry, hurry,hurry, make us more money. If we cannot do it safely, I will not participate in any way shape or form. Congrats on no scratchys for 10 years, the next 15 are as easy as the first 10, unless the beancounters have their way. Remember we are the ones sitting between the passengers and the granite.
PBR

Who's taxiing around single engine with the APU off??? That's not even what they are wanting us to do with the Project APU. Or is it? I've been gone too long, I forget...

It's in the -700 OM, then cross-bleed #1.

As for single engine taxi, no apu, that will last only until a hydraulic failure takes the brakes and steering away and a plane enters the terminal uninvited!

Oh, I didn't think of that! From now on I'm not turning the APU off at all. You never know when your going to have a dual generator failure, and the ADG doesn't deploy. This way, I'll always have triple redundant electrical systems available. Plus, the APU will already have the 2 minute warm up period if I need to start an engine after a dual flameout.

This type of irrational reasoning does nothing but waste money, and ultimately cost people jobs. Every legacy airline leaves the APU off after landing, and single engine taxi's to the gate. It is an approved maneuver, and is well within the scope of safe operations.

Your job as the pilot in command is to operate the airplane safely and efficiently during all phases of flight. I hope your F/O gives you a hard time about your fuel usage, because if the company isn't efficient, he won't upgrade, and eventually, all of us will find the street (including you).

3 minutes of APU is 1 gallon of gas.
1 1/2 minutes of engine use at idle is 1 gallon of gas.
EVERY MINUTE COUNTS!!!

Last edited:
Every legacy airline leaves the APU off after landing, and single engine taxi's to the gate.

Every legacy airlines flies equipment that puts out more than a mouse fart's worth of air on an engine bleed.

For the sake of all of us riding in the back of your planes, turn on the airflow!

At, say, $5 a gallon (generous), that's 10 cents a passenger. Keep the bag of peanuts; I'll take the air conditioning.

1 1/2 minutes of engine use at idle is 1 gallon of gas.
EVERY MINUTE COUNTS!!!

It finally seems like more people are understanding this. Running the APU on an RJ for a 45 minute turn is equivalent to draining a large car's fuel tank.

Every legacy airlines flies equipment that puts out more than a mouse fart's worth of air on an engine bleed.

For the sake of all of us riding in the back of your planes, turn on the airflow!

At, say, $5 a gallon (generous), that's 10 cents a passenger. Keep the bag of peanuts; I'll take the air conditioning.

If the airline was able to charge what is costs to deliver the product, I'd agree with you. However the 10 cents you quoted was not a flat fee, but 10 cents per passenger every few minutes. That could easily be the difference between profit and loss, especially when you compound it over 900 flights a day. I'm not talking about unreasonably hot temperatures, but if its 65 degrees or less outside, you don't need constant airflow on your body to remain comfortable; Unless your a two seater passenger, then your probably uncomfortable at any temperature.

When the planes are full, we don't care about pax comfort. We care about having enough money to stay in business.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back