• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Crew food

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who's taxiing around single engine with the APU off??? That's not even what they are wanting us to do with the Project APU. Or is it? I've been gone too long, I forget...

The systems training must be pretty bad over there, PBR.

Single engine taxi (number 2), no APU

#2 engine fails...one of three things occurs:

1. airplane rolls to a stop undamaged

2. pilot uses hydraulic pressure stored in the brake accumulators to safely stop the airplane

3. pilot declares an emergency as the airplane rolls into the terminal because he/she didn't know the brakes would still work well normally for several applications after the engine failure

Next time you pull into the gate and shut your engines/apu down and hydraulic pumps off, check the pressure readings on the brake system. They don't immediately go to zero.

Yeah,
And when #2 quits, that leaves how many powering the pumps? ADG will power what at 10 kts?
Thought so!
I say positive rate, gear up, you say gear up, nothing more, nothing less.
PBR
Now shut up and do as you are told!

Good luck with that ADG with weight on wheels...

Nothing in project APU says anything about taxiing with #2 and no APU, but don't we do that anyway when the APU is deferred? Taxi on #2, then cross-bleed later? Maybe I'm confused on that...

Yeah,
And when #2 quits, that leaves how many powering the pumps? ADG will power what at 10 kts?
Thought so!
I say positive rate, gear up, you say gear up, nothing more, nothing less.
PBR
Now shut up and do as you are told!

Use the brake accumulators and start up the APU to power 3A while #2 is winding down. Probably won't even need the accumulators if you're quick enough.

Oh nevermind, we are talking about YOU here... definitely not quick enough

Nothing in project APU says anything about taxiing with #2 and no APU, but don't we do that anyway when the APU is deferred? Taxi on #2, then cross-bleed later? Maybe I'm confused on that...

I think it did mention it, I forgot where though. I figure you'd only save fuel by doing that if the wait for takeoff was 15+ minutes though. Nothing wrong with it if it's cool enough out. Many other RJ operators do it.

The systems training must be pretty bad over there, PBR.

Single engine taxi (number 2), no APU

#2 engine fails...one of three things occurs:

1. airplane rolls to a stop undamaged

2. pilot uses hydraulic pressure stored in the brake accumulators to safely stop the airplane

3. pilot declares an emergency as the airplane rolls into the terminal because he/she didn't know the brakes would still work well normally for several applications after the engine failure

Next time you pull into the gate and shut your engines/apu down and hydraulic pumps off, check the pressure readings on the brake system. They don't immediately go to zero.
#1-sure, if there is nothing in the way, like another airplane,ramper,tug, ect. How many times can you use the nosewheel steering before 0psi?See #2 below.

2#- assuming the accumulators are properly pressurized with N2, we used to preflight them at SKYW, alas no more. I found more than a few with 0 N2 PSI.

#3- nothing you would know about, F/Os don't taxi, in fact I regularly have F/Os slide their seat back and try to start filling out the can prior to approaching the parking position. And if you don't think they go to 0 quickly watch #1 system after shutdown and then watch the calibrated leakdown on #2 after that. Nothing wrong with systems training, sometimes I just forget, but I have been flying commercially for 25 years and haven't even scratched a plane yet(knock on wood). You?
PBR
P.S. posting with 'ole number 7 and coke in hand leaves a bit to be desired.

Last edited:
PBRstreetgang;1574308 ... #3- nothing you would know about said:
I'm not sure why you would have First Officers slide their seat back and fill out paperwork when approaching your parking spot...seems a little unsafe. ;)

You're correct. I can't yet claim to be among the tens of thousands of pilots who have at some point in their career achieved 25 years of service in this godforsaken industry without scratching an airplane. At present time, I can only claim to be among the tens of thousands of pilots who have achieved ten years of service in this godforsaken industry without scratching an airplane...and two of those years were spent flying in an environment far more demanding than the scheduled part 121 world.

To be quite honest, I don't expect I'll see 25 years in this industry...unless there are significant changes for the better, which seem unlikely. The company I work for already can't afford to pay me what I earn in other non aviation related endeavors.

I agree that posting while drinking leaves something to be desired. That's why I'm taking it easy on you until you regain full use of your mental faculties.

I don't remember writing that I was a First Officer, but if it helps you believe your penis is bigger than mine, I'll play along.

You may have the final word. I've more important things to do.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back