• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Contract List

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To get my signature I must see 100% retro pay, commuter clause, trip/duty rig and at least Comair rates!

Observations on my first post here:

Our company has not been negotiating in good faith, but willing to spend untold amounts on lawyers. Hence, we are obligated to stand firm on the issues listed in prior posts including; retro pay, scheduling reform, Comair pay rates at a minimum, and trip/duty rigs. Additionally, ambiguous contract language must be eliminated. Others have stated that we will have to give up something to get retro pay. I fail to understand this reasoning. This seems to indicate we may have to give up something to receive what we are owed by our company.

I cannot understand our MEC's willingness to give on LOA 27. In an environment of teamwork and cooperation I might support such flexibility. We have not been operating in such an environment.

We are a huge cog in the Atlanta operation. It is required of the pilot group to indicate strike willingness, and do so if neccessary. What we gain will be of much greater value in the final analysis than what is lost during the strike. If our company attempts scare tactics to avert strike action, we must be unfazed. This is standard procedure in a situation such as this. Any threats levied by the company which are actually valid, will come to pass regardless of the contract negotiation/strike outcome.

Pardon me,

I will be starting class in a week and a half, and I am a little unsure about several of the agendas pilots are pushing for. Being that this will be my first experience in a union environment, I am unsure about what a few things mean. I do indeed expect some replys from my fellow cohorts to be full of sarcasm, jest, and other random forms of entertainment, but that being said, here goes:

1) what is meant by trip/duty rigs?

2) how does retro pay work, and as a new hire will I get lots of easy cash?

Looking forward to the respone(s)

C-I-H.

1 trip/duty rigs....
Currently we have a 20+ hour overnights in CVG and DCA. When you are on them, you get paid ONLY 1.50$ per hour for per diem.

With duty rigs, Taken fron another post....

Trip rigs = guaranteed pay for a given length of trip. Say you have a trip that takes you away from base for 70 hours. If you have a trip rig of 3.5:1 you would be guaranteed one hour of pay for every 3.5 hours on a trip. That 70 hour trip would pay a minimum of 20 hours.

Duty rigs= guaranteed pay for a duty period. Say you have a 12 hour duty period and you have a 2:1 duty rig. You are guaranteed 1 hour pay for every 2 hours on duty. You would be paid a minimum of 6 hours for that 12 hour duty period.

Last edited:
Retro Pay,
Lets say you get paid 25$ per hour for the last year (1 year) (since the contract ended). Now your NEW contract says you make 35$ per hour.

The company will pay you $10 per each hour that you flew over the last year. This basically makes it like you were getting $35 per hour since your last contract expired.

Nice new mandatory reading memo about CAT II approaches.
Question, maybe we should be paid 0.25 or 0.50 hr per one we turn in.
This is helping out the company, but makes our lives and ATC's more difficult.

Comin-In-Hot said:
1) what is meant by trip/duty rigs?

2) how does retro pay work, and as a new hire will I get lots of easy cash?

Looking forward to the respone(s)

C-I-H.

Trip and duty rigs are a way to ensure the company schedules their pilots productively. For example, as a junior loser Captain ( you will be an even more junior loser FO ) you will get trips that take you to places like Columbus for 72 hours over Christmas. During those 72 hours, I got paid $1.50 per hour per diem.

At a real airline, like Fed Ex, each 24 hour period you are away from home the Company has to pay you 4.5 hours. So you see the difference:

ASA - three day round trip to CSG - 1.46 hours pay
Fed Ex - three day round trip to CSG - 13.5 hours pay

In my view it is a win / win since the Company should want to use your services while you are on duty and most of us would rather be home than watching a 25 inch TV in a moldy hotel room, or sitting in a bar paying $4.50 for a Bud Light. Notice that there is another thread about ASA cancelling flight due to lack of crews. It isn't that they have a lack of crews, it is because crews are sitting in hotels in DCA and ICT bored out of their freakin minds, getting the $1.50 per diem. Believe me, we pilots would rather be flying....

As far as retro pay, don't get your hopes up skippy. Chautauqua-Republic-Mid Atlantic-Rodham-Clinton is flying E170's for more than $10 less an hour than ASA pays ATR pilots. The E170 is a nice jet and will kick the livin crap out of CRJ200's on revenue, cost per seat mile and customer satisfaction. In case you have been in a deep hole with Osama, those E170's are not coming to ASA.

ASA has the choice in this alter ego love fest of either pulling a Comair, or being like the US Air Wholly Owned Airlines and ceasing to be relevant. Nothing about our contract is looking pretty - if there is a retro check, you might be writing it to Delta.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back