Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Connection.....(Or should I say "Concession?")

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being at a legacy does not mean that you are a great pilot, more intelligent, or any other self-ordained claim.

Many of us know plenty of our former peers that were hired early on in the last hiring that not only did not meet any of those criteria, but because of their "body of work," our Company was glad to see them go anywhere.

Next argument, please?

I know there is a few here that have been problem children here too.

I know there is a few here that have been problem children here too.

Ahhh- it happens at every outfit. However, what Brown doesn't realize is that prior to 9/11, UPS was where those that were washed up went, or waited to move on to DAL, UAL, etc.

Frankly, I'm suprised Brown hasn't been banned yet. Not a single post has been put up by this guy that bears any sort of constructive criticism or relevent thought processes. Frankly, everything I've read from this guy has been flaming trash.............

Since admin won't make this guy go away, I'll aid in the process myself via the ignore function........

Senior people love it because you do not have to pattern bid, though that is an option, and junior people do not like it.

It is efficient. No training, month to month and vacation conflicts. The system schedules you around it. It is very efficient. I have not been able to see anyone turn a week of vacation in to three, maybe 10 days or so but that is about it.

Our Navtec software lets you have about 75 or so preferences in it. It really takes some work to get good at it. A lot of people get nailed by the denial mode which reverts to reserve if they are not careful.

You get to see a greater variety of flying though.

You said, "Senior people love it." By Senior, you mean Senior within a position (position as you knew it at ASA?) as opposed to just the top people on the Seniority List?

So, on the assumption of seniority within a position, in your case, as you move up the list within your position of 767 F/O, your satisfaction will continue to increase bidding with PBS?

In hours, what credit value is a vacation day worth at Delta?

Last edited:
Yes, I am a pilot. I am a pilot who loves his job and wants to keep it. Unfortunately, PBS is a necessary evil and based on our competition within DCI, but more importantly within the Skywest, INC., we are at a cost disadvantage because we don't have it. It is a concession for our pilot group, but it may be better than taking pay cuts and losing other benefits. Having stated that, PBS can be a better way of bidding if done right.

I am not an expert on PBS. I have done as much research as I can online, talked to many friends at other airlines that have it, and tried to pick the brains of those who are involved researching it. There are some good resources online to get a general idea of the concepts.

You are right. There has not been much specific information come from either the Company or our Union on the subject matter. I can only assume that neither party wants to show their hand to the other--a necessary position in business.

I would recommend that every pilot try to do his/her own research to at least get your arms around it. I am sure, if it goes forward on our property, that there will be information that will be forthcoming. However, if you can get some education first on the matter, at least you can ask intelligent questions when that day comes. From what I understand, our PBS pilot group has done their homework and is well equiped to protect our interests. We will have to have confidence in those involved.

I have confidence in this MEC. On any major issue over the last few years, they have a good track record of doing their home work and delivering to our pilot group. One example is ASAP. They did their homework, consulted with other airline pilot groups, learned what was needed to have a good program, made protecting pilot participants a number one priority, and held out until the Company would agree to the protections that we needed to make the system work and protect our pilots. It is the best ASAP program in the industry with those protections, and is being used as a model at some other pilot groups that are trying to improve their programs and some that are trying to bring it onboard.

I believe, that when and if PBS is presented to our pilot group, that the same diligence, patience, and knowlege will be demonstrated. If we have to get PBS, it will be well researched and many of the needed controls will be in place. I think it can be a better system than line bidding. However, to some degree it will still be a concession. Given our competitive environment, and the efficiencies that it can deliver for our Company, it may be a necessary dose of medicine we have to take. Like most pilots, if we have to get it, and like our ASAP accomplishments, I want the best system available and with the protections that can make it beneficial to some degree. I believe that is possible and once again, I think that is what will be delivered at some point by our own peers.

Thanks for your time.

Very well said Speedtape...I find that we agree more now than we used to...What has changed? I'm curious as to the reason some of the more "hard line" folks are now beginning to acknowledge the unfortunate need to "compete" within the portfolio...What has caused this change?

Very well said Speedtape...I find that we agree more now than we used to...What has changed? I'm curious as to the reason some of the more "hard line" folks are now beginning to acknowledge the unfortunate need to "compete" within the portfolio...What has caused this change?

I had a Dream!

Latest resources

Back