• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA commuter clause

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, and don't go to thew "normal" ASA inspectors (Curran, Shiflett, etc), go to a non-ASA fed. These guys have been in bed with ASA management ever since they ganged up with the company against the pilots over the ASAP program and, have repeatedly looked the other way over this occurance thing.

Ok, let's think this thing through, if you are absent 3 times in 6 months, or 4 times in 12 months then you get a verbal warning (read your SP's), then if you are absent 5 times in 12 months you get a "written warning", 6 times in 12 months is a "termination warning" (and suspension - I think) 7 times in 12 months is "Termination". So, if you are absent that much, then maybe you should see about another profession. That would mean you are sick almost once a month! Oh yea, and that is only if you are not approved for FMLA. FMLA is really easy to get approved for though, just go to the Dr and get put on a prescription Med (if you really are sick, you probably need it). But, anyway, the point is, if you are out sick that much seek another profession, one that would not affect the flying public if you call out sick. And if you don't sick out often, then why even bother with or worry about it.

Thanks for all the info guys, looking forward to getting started and this is definitly a QOL improvement for me. Thats sad isn't it. Doesnt sound too bad, just gotta keep on your toes. Hopefully some of these issues will get resolved with the new contract.

flutterby said:
Ok, let's think this thing through, if you are absent 3 times in 6 months, or 4 times in 12 months then you get a verbal warning (read your SP's), then if you are absent 5 times in 12 months you get a "written warning", 6 times in 12 months is a "termination warning" (and suspension - I think) 7 times in 12 months is "Termination". So, if you are absent that much, then maybe you should see about another profession. That would mean you are sick almost once a month! Oh yea, and that is only if you are not approved for FMLA. FMLA is really easy to get approved for though, just go to the Dr and get put on a prescription Med (if you really are sick, you probably need it). But, anyway, the point is, if you are out sick that much seek another profession, one that would not affect the flying public if you call out sick. And if you don't sick out often, then why even bother with or worry about it.

Flutter:

The point here is that we as pilots for ASA have been given something by the company (PAID SICK LEAVE) for use when we are not able to fly. Then they turn around and penalize us when we use it through the occurance system.

That is kind of like the company giving you a $100 dollar check, and then cancelling the check when you try to deposit it.

Now I am not stupid, I know why they do this; to keep the deadbeats that abuse the system from abusing the system without reprocussion. Remember though, this is not 3rd grade and we can negotiate our sick time into "personal time". We might get less of it, but if you need a day off and you cant get it from sched and you are too jr to bid and hold it, what are you going to do.. Right now nothing. But if we can negotiate some sort of personal days in place of "sick leave" you could.

The otherthing you need to remember is that there are otherways to get "occurances" other than being sick. The sick occurances just get you closer to getting fired. (i am NOT suggesting people violate the sp's or fars)

Last edited:
remember large amounts of sick time are often given to help you out during a major illness where you miss large amounts of time without loss of pay (all during "one" occurance). getting "sick" every single month for a different cause each time for a year is very abnormal. the ASA policy is very harsh but it seems hard to reach even their breaking point unless you have a serious medical illness which relates them (in which case i am sure you won't get nailed...right?), or ahem... you're calling in frequently for non-illness reasons.

Latest resources

Back