ASA Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Speedtape said:
Alpa at ASA, are the pilots at ASA--no one else!

You are correct - and also very critical of ALPA.

Is ALPA a national union, or are we just the pilots at ASA? I happen to really like and support the efforts of the great volunteer staff, LEC Members and MEC Members at ASA.

I suspect you were not here for much of the fight from 1999 to 2001 but our MEC has had to become quite a bit more "politically correct" to keep ALPA National's support flowing. I understand what they are doing and appreciate the fact they walk a real tightrope. If you were at our last LEC meeting, you heard the reason that a resolution asking National not to allow bidding on phantom airplanes was pulled because of fear the Delta pilots might feel it was a "Kick in their nuts."

The correct decision was made in my opinion, but let us look at the issue. Airline Management has used phantom negotiations to cap pay rates. As you know Delta negotiated pay rates for RJ's that undercut ASA's current book. These negotiations were made with data that showed how much money Delta would save at DCI carriers with the concessionary RJ rates imposed across the board. So management is using whipsaw by basing pay rates at on competitive pay rates (ratified by ALPA) at airlines which do not operate those airplanes. Obviously it would be better for our profession if the pilots union did not ratify concessionary pay rates at airlines which have no plans to operate the aircraft. Such a resolution was made.

However, even resolving to stop phantom whipsaw bidding is a problem when you plan on taking an idea to ALPA National. Why? Why isn't ALPA National all about common sense solutions to raise our profession?

Could it be that the ruling members of ALPA National see a benefit to concessionary bargaining at DCI carriers? Could they see Delta's cost savings as a good thing for the Delta pilots?

Until ALPA deals with its conflict of interest and brings pilots together it is going to be an ineffective union. My interest is not to "bash" ALPA, but to try and save it. We need an effective union.

I do not see a pot of growth at the end of our negotiations - unless we undercut SkyWest. But, that is not an acceptable option - we will not do it.

Again, the reason for that problem rests with ALPA National. We have no scope. The reason we have no scope is because ALPA National stopped us from even trying when Bob Arnold asked to negotiate with Delta Airlines. Delta said yes, ALPA said no. Today we have 6 DCI carriers and our negotiating ability has eroded since the days when we were the only game in town.

In the past a resolved contract would be a prescription for growth. But now there are plenty of alter ego replacements. The E170's and CRJ900's you will see are "our growth" which has already got out of the barn. Aircraft orders take a lot of lead time. Delta's restructuring is mostly complete. There may be small variations in the execution, but this stuff is getting done now. Unfortunately almost all of this flying is going to non ALPA carriers. This is probably by design and again indicates our union's failure to deal with what they see as a conflict of interest which they are fixing by attacking our representational base.

Your attempt at a personal attack is based on incorrect information - resorting to personal attacks and trying to "out" people on FlightInfo has generally been considered pretty low. If you support the pilots at ASA, I encourage you to not attack them.

You ask what I'm for; I'm for the promotion of the Piloting Profession in general and the pilots of ASA in particular - join in, it is a worthy cause.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
You are correct - and also very critical of ALPA.

Is ALPA a national union, or are we just the pilots at ASA? I happen to really like and support the efforts of the great volunteer staff, LEC Members and MEC Members at ASA.

I suspect you were not here for much of the fight from 1999 to 2001 but our MEC has had to become quite a bit more "politically correct" to keep ALPA National's support flowing. I understand what they are doing and appreciate the fact they walk a real tightrope. If you were at our last LEC meeting, you heard the reason that a resolution asking National not to allow bidding on phantom airplanes was pulled because of fear the Delta pilots might feel it was a "Kick in their nuts."

The correct decision was made in my opinion, but let us look at the issue. Airline Management has used phantom negotiations to cap pay rates. As you know Delta negotiated pay rates for RJ's that undercut ASA's current book. These negotiations were made with data that showed how much money Delta would save at DCI carriers with the concessionary RJ rates imposed across the board. So management is using whipsaw by basing pay rates at on competitive pay rates (ratified by ALPA) at airlines which do not operate those airplanes. Obviously it would be better for our profession if the pilots union did not ratify concessionary pay rates at airlines which have no plans to operate the aircraft. Such a resolution was made.

However, even resolving to stop phantom whipsaw bidding is a problem when you plan on taking an idea to ALPA National. Why? Why isn't ALPA National all about common sense solutions to raise our profession?

Could it be that the ruling members of ALPA National see a benefit to concessionary bargaining at DCI carriers? Could they see Delta's cost savings as a good thing for the Delta pilots?

Until ALPA deals with its conflict of interest and brings pilots together it is going to be an ineffective union. My interest is not to "bash" ALPA, but to try and save it. We need an effective union.

I do not see a pot of growth at the end of our negotiations - unless we undercut SkyWest. But, that is not an acceptable option - we will not do it.

Again, the reason for that problem rests with ALPA National. We have no scope. The reason we have no scope is because ALPA National stopped us from even trying when Bob Arnold asked to negotiate with Delta Airlines. Delta said yes, ALPA said no. Today we have 6 DCI carriers and our negotiating ability has eroded since the days when we were the only game in town.

In the past a resolved contract would be a prescription for growth. But now there are plenty of alter ego replacements. The E170's and CRJ900's you will see are "our growth" which has already got out of the barn. Aircraft orders take a lot of lead time. Delta's restructuring is mostly complete. There may be small variations in the execution, but this stuff is getting done now. Unfortunately almost all of this flying is going to non ALPA carriers. This is probably by design and again indicates our union's failure to deal with what they see as a conflict of interest which they are fixing by attacking our representational base.

Your attempt at a personal attack is based on incorrect information - resorting to personal attacks and trying to "out" people on FlightInfo has generally been considered pretty low. If you support the pilots at ASA, I encourage you to not attack them.

You ask what I'm for; I'm for the promotion of the Piloting Profession in general and the pilots of ASA in particular - join in, it is a worthy cause.

~~~^~~~

Fins,

Very well said! You and I don't agree on everything, but we can discuss our differences. The diehard "ALPA is always right" crowd usually resorts to personal attacks. That is the sign of a weak argument.

Tell us more about the resolution being retracted that would have prevent ALPA from bidding on phantom aircraft. It sounds like a good resolution to me. Why do we care what the Delta pilots think about it? They don't care about us, why should we care about them? There was a time when the ASA and CMR MECs wouldn't have worried about what the Delta pilots would think. Are those times over?

JoeMerchant said:
Fins,

Very well said! You and I don't agree on everything, but we can discuss our differences. The diehard "ALPA is always right" crowd usually resorts to personal attacks. That is the sign of a weak argument.

Tell us more about the resolution being retracted that would have prevent ALPA from bidding on phantom aircraft. It sounds like a good resolution to me. Why do we care what the Delta pilots think about it? They don't care about us, why should we care about them? There was a time when the ASA and CMR MECs wouldn't have worried about what the Delta pilots would think. Are those times over?

Why are you asking Fins for information on what happened at an LEC meeting? As LEC Sec/Treas. why weren't you there taking notes for the minutes or even returning the notes you stole from the last meeting you attended about 18 months or more ago? You were off for the last two meetings. Please share who on the MEC or LEC asked you to not attend? Please make up some fabrication (lie) so you can hide behind your own version of your revisionist history. You don't care about the ASA pilots, why should they care about you??

Why

Because they do not want him there?
They only want sheep...
not someone thats INFORMED.

fsworld said:
So if we arent hiring anytime soon why is ASA spending money on hiring a new basic indoc ground instructor? Think before you speak idiots. If this place sucks you know where the door is, stop complaining about everything. Management could say we were getting a 50% payraise make the ramp automated and 99.9% of the people on this board would still complain about the pay and ramp. I get so sick of listening to co-workers complain about this stuff for hours. And yes I know it sucks to wait for an hour to get parked but we get paid for it, it doesnt hurt us a bit. And for you people who say do whats in the contract and nothing else, thats hurting the people whos income goes to our pay check, its not hurting management. Dont take your hate for management out on our passengers.

We like complaining. If the whining bothers you so much, why don't you quit? We don't need your kind here.:D

FmrFreightDog said:
Until you fly with me, that is... then we can two-engine taxi and full-thrust takeoff to our hearts' content... That is, if we ever leave the gate after we wait for fuel for hours after our "One call, that's all."

That's fine and dandy, but our current contract as a DCI carrier has DL paying the fuel bill. Was told this in recurrent yesterday by our Program Mgr.

bailout said:
Well somethings gotta give. They are sending IPs to SLC to cover flights because we are so shorthanded. Fact.

You're right on here. The reason for this is because we are below the DCI threshold for completions in SLC. If we cancel below a certain threshold because of OUR operational problems (short-staffed), we then begin to pay penalties........

SLC is the main reason for the Premium Payout this month for open-time....

jacksjj said:
So..... about those classes at ASA.......?

You would think runnning classes would fix our short-staffing problem.

However, management in their infinite wisdom decided that airplanes should be transferred to SkyWest for them to operate. See, they already have pilots trained and ready to operate ASA 70-seat airplanes for 50-seat pay.

Im sure glad I took someone's advice and didn't stop flying once I got my "welcome aboard" letter in the mail. I was optimistic. They were...as it appears.... right.

Latest resources

Back