ASA Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AMEN! VeeOne is right on here.....

99.9% of the hard core whiners are on this board....

Keep up the good attitude and welcome aboard. After two other failed airlines and gigs in 135 flying, this still beats working for a living (my thoughts). This industry is soo cyclical that you'll never know if you made the right choice until you've been here a couple of years.

Remember, its what YOU decide to make of it and WHO you decide to hang around with that will decide where your attitude goes. Have a clear focus as to what your goals are and if you are not moving ahead with them within a year or two, make a decision to either stick with it or move on to "greener" pastures. FYI, the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

People are leaving here in multitudes which "could" mean that ATL openings will be available for this class.

Best wishes!

Well said Great View and Vee One!

Why don't you go and try out Mesa or TSA? Go see what a real dive is like. Then go get a real job throwing sod or driving a truck. Maybe then you can quit complaining about how horrible your life is at ASA.

What's wrong with telling someone to manage their career a little better? Maybe you should open your eyes and see that we are being replaced, one route a time, one pilot at a time and one union at a time. What is a real dive like, I have worked for them, we had the feds on property each week and the place went Chapter 11. Will reality sink in when you're replaced by a skywest coolaid drinker? Still think we're getting 705's or that we'll have any 700's left when this is all over? Send me a postcard and tell me about it I'm waiting for a class with my new employer right now. Why would someone come here, and depend on a paycheck etc from an airline who is on the verge of a strike, currently having its routes/aircraft taken, and quite honestly one where the managment absolutly hates it's pilots. Answer those questions and I'll happily admit that I'm wrong. Oh and I almsot forgot, zero upgrade potential. All you can really do right now is get a lot of sic jet time so if you're goal is a fractional this could be a good place to tough out for a few months.

What's wrong with telling someone to manage their career a little better? Maybe you should open your eyes and see that we are being replaced, one route a time, one pilot at a time and one union at a time. What is a real dive like, I have worked for them, we had the feds on property each week and the place went Chapter 11. Will reality sink in when you're replaced by a skywest coolaid drinker? Still think we're getting 705's or that we'll have any 700's left when this is all over? Send me a postcard and tell me about it I'm waiting for a class with my new employer right now. Why would someone come here, and depend on a paycheck etc from an airline who is on the verge of a strike, currently having its routes/aircraft taken, and quite honestly one where the managment absolutly hates it's pilots. Answer those questions and I'll happily admit that I'm wrong. Oh and I almsot forgot, zero upgrade potential. All you can really do right now is get a lot of sic jet time so if you're goal is a fractional this could be a good place to tough out for a few months.

It boils down to scope or lack thereof and the failures since de-regulation to control the flying thru scope. Your correct that we are being replaced "one route at a time and one pilot at a time". It doesn't really matter if you are union or not however, as union pilots are replacing union pilots. The only reason we have 1700 pilots at ASA is because we have replaced Delta pilots. That isn't our fault, however it really isn't any different than what is happening to us now.

Skywest joining ALPA won't necessarily stop this cycle. DAL/CMR/ASA couldn't stop it or unify even though we were all ALPA. The USAir family has been suffering this even longer with ALPA on most of the properties.

Things have a way of coming full circle, and now the ASA and CMR pilots are on the receiving end of that circle. Can we reverse the cycle... only time will tell....

Last edited:
Yeah, I read that LA bit in my packet as well. Oh well, you gotta roll with the punches I guess. Anyone have any ideas about how long it might take to come back to ATL??? With the madness going on around there right now, what would make them open up a slot back in ATL when they are supposedly so short anyways? Wouldnt it make more sense just to hire a ton of guys to cover it?? I mean, we all get chicken feed anyways.

Just finished recurrent and LA is the predominant base for new hires. With the attrition and future hiring at majors next year it might be quick to get back to ATL. We lost 47 last month and 32 the month before. I hope to be moving on soon, have an interview friday and another on the 6th.

Morale is pretty low right now but don't let it get to you. Things will get better and no the company is not going anywhere any time soon.

Welcome to a great bunch of pilots.

I'll give it a shot ......

Like you guys said, the worst they can say is "NO."

I also agree that minimums may have to come down at ASA, here's why:

If ASA is asking for 1200tt and 200 multi, I think 90% of the pilots with these hours would take Skywest instead of ASA just because it is the preffered carrier for pilots out here in the westside.
But if someone with 700-800 TT can get a break from ASA and be based in LAX, that would make pilots out here in the west more willing to take the interview, and hopefully the job. I know I would take it.

I can also see how people who aren't native to LA fear the cost of living. (It isn't cheap!)
So the solution "could be" to lower minimums and look for people who are already established here in LA. (And willing to do day trips to Torreon!!)

Here's a novel idea for ASA management......Second year F/O pay for those starting out in LA. Perhaps the additional 12k per year would offset the mass attrition that will insue after pilots complete training (at roughly 30K per FO) and figure out their not gonna be able to bid right out of LA. Geez, I'd come here and complete training, while getting paid, then punch out and go somewhere else as opposed to continuing to flight instruct.

It boils down to scope or lack thereof and the failures since de-regulation to control the flying thru scope. Your correct that we are being replaced "one route at a time and one pilot at a time". It doesn't really matter if you are union or not however, as union pilots are replacing union pilots. The only reason we have 1700 pilots at ASA is because we have replaced Delta pilots. That isn't our fault, however it really isn't any different than what is happening to us now.

Skywest joining ALPA won't necessarily stop this cycle. DAL/CMR/ASA couldn't stop it or unify even though we were all ALPA. The USAir family has been suffering this even longer with ALPA on most of the properties.

Things have a way of coming full circle, and now the ASA and CMR pilots are on the receiving end of that circle. Can we reverse the cycle... only time will tell....

JB, you're back! I heard a rumor you're set to be the next MEC and CNC chairman. Comments?

Here's a novel idea for ASA management......Second year F/O pay for those starting out in LA. Perhaps the additional 12k per year would offset the mass attrition that will insue after pilots complete training (at roughly 30K per FO) and figure out their not gonna be able to bid right out of LA. Geez, I'd come here and complete training, while getting paid, then punch out and go somewhere else as opposed to continuing to flight instruct.

Nice concept. But, it would have to apply to all that work at the base. $500/mo base allowance would go a long way. Now, for reality.... ain't ever going to happen. Our FA's tried to squeeze a few dollars from the company for the so called "International Base" and dual language qual'd. The company balked at that and told them to pound sand. The company's solution???? They are going to employ a translator on every flight to Mexico. Don't believe me? Check out travel net for the flights and you will notice there are only 49 seats available. So, instead of forking over a buck or two, the company would rather spend 10 and take away revenue capacity just to strong arm the union. Given this mentality, your idea (while great) will never happen. My fantasy is that nobody shows up for class or that they resign when assigned LAX. That will be the only way the company will ever wake up. Jerry, Bryan, Charlie, Scott, are you listening to me???? YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER CLOSED SLC!!!!! You guys need to check your ego's at the door. All of this LAX flying should be done with crews based in SLC. The operation was already established and growing it with some 50's would have been easy. Only capt's can afford to live in LA. I think the whole operation will fail due to attrition. Who in the hell is going to sign up with a company that will only pay you $1000/mo (take home)for the first year and expect you to live in LA. Don't buy the upgrade carrot. It is at 6 years and has been climbing for years.

JB, you're back! I heard a rumor you're set to be the next MEC and CNC chairman. Comments?

Apparently he shook loose LJ's muzzle. I imagine he'll be getting the rolled up newspaper to the backside when she gets home. "Bad JB! I told you! No talking until the election is over!"

Nice concept. But, it would have to apply to all that work at the base. $500/mo base allowance would go a long way. Now, for reality.... ain't ever going to happen. Our FA's tried to squeeze a few dollars from the company for the so called "International Base" and dual language qual'd. The company balked at that and told them to pound sand. The company's solution???? They are going to employ a translator on every flight to Mexico. Don't believe me? Check out travel net for the flights and you will notice there are only 49 seats available. So, instead of forking over a buck or two, the company would rather spend 10 and take away revenue capacity just to strong arm the union. Given this mentality, your idea (while great) will never happen. My fantasy is that nobody shows up for class or that they resign when assigned LAX. That will be the only way the company will ever wake up. Jerry, Bryan, Charlie, Scott, are you listening to me???? YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER CLOSED SLC!!!!! You guys need to check your ego's at the door. All of this LAX flying should be done with crews based in SLC. The operation was already established and growing it with some 50's would have been easy. Only capt's can afford to live in LA. I think the whole operation will fail due to attrition. Who in the hell is going to sign up with a company that will only pay you $1000/mo (take home)for the first year and expect you to live in LA. Don't buy the upgrade carrot. It is at 6 years and has been climbing for years.
I see a potentially good deal for SOME FO's. If the scenario you've laid out happens with the LAX FO's, and I think you might just be right, they'll have to TDY and or JR MAN FO's to cover. Free housing and 24hr. per diem for the lucky few that are sent to cover. Then if they get in touch with the FO's based there and split rooms (having the based FO's pay a small fee, of course :) ) they'll pocket even more $ while saving the FO's based there some $ and everyone gets to fly the west coast and have a little fun for a while.

I intend to pick up some trips out there just to look at some different scenary and of course stay out of the ATL as much as possible, for all the obvious reasons.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back