• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Try not to listen to much to the negativity because it will eventually drag you right down along with the other guys. I've had some crappy jobs in my life and ASA thus far has not been one of them. To be sure, there are issues but you just roll with it and do the best you can to fix your corner of the world.

Good luck in class, the instructors actually care about getting you through at ASA. It was a breathe of fresh air after the way the last company ran their classes.

Welcome aboard.
The vision card was not included in the packet because ASA has no vision at this time. Maybe it will improve by class date but that is highly unlikely.
Seniority in class is determined by age, with the most senior people having their first choice of airframe and domicile. The latest letter from SH said that they're expecting at least 16 people in this class (our classes can accomodate up to 24) but you can expect a few people to no-show. We are expecting a lot of hiring in the next 4 months due to attrition, so maybe you can go to LAX, pay $500 a month for a crash pad, and wait a few months until you can hold the "ATL."

Yup, I am.

I got my 'welcome aboard' packet from Tamiko yesterday. It contained a form letter that mentioned that there would be a strong possibility that a good portion of the class would be assigned the CRJ200 based in LAX. When I spoke with her on the phone, she also mentioned that it was probable that there would be ATR's out of the 8 Nov. class, as well.

There was also a letter from Mr. Bryan LaBrecque referencing some sort of 'vision' card which was not in the packet. I'm not certain what he was talking about; perhaps an eye test?

More seriously, though, where am I going to find a place to live on first year FO wages if I get LAX? I'm a little worried about this...

How are assignments and domiciles determined in the class? How many people are in the class?

After MANY months of wasting a lot of time on Flightinfo, I'm looking forward to the training and the long days.

Yup, I know a lot of folks on this board are negative towards ASA. Am I going to let it dissuade me from going to work with ASA? Nope.

Yeah, I read that LA bit in my packet as well. Oh well, you gotta roll with the punches I guess. Anyone have any ideas about how long it might take to come back to ATL??? With the madness going on around there right now, what would make them open up a slot back in ATL when they are supposedly so short anyways? Wouldnt it make more sense just to hire a ton of guys to cover it?? I mean, we all get chicken feed anyways.

More seriously, though, where am I going to find a place to live on first year FO wages if I get LAX? I'm a little worried about this...

You should be. I hope you got friends in LAX that you can crash with for that first year.

SiuDude said:
...so maybe you can go to LAX, pay $500 a month for a crash pad...

$500/month x 12 = $6000
First Year FO = $17,100 before taxes

I hope you don't have any loan payments. And where can you find a crash pad in LAX for $500 that doesn't involve the cities of Compton and Englewood?

Why don't you go and try out Mesa or TSA? Go see what a real dive is like. Then go get a real job throwing sod or driving a truck. Maybe then you can quit complaining about how horrible your life is at ASA.

So you're saying that compared to throwing sod, ASA isn't that bad. Well this company will do well to hire more like you. Those with little ambition and less education. That's what this industry wants, and that's what they're going to get.

Q..

I live in LA, I'm at 725 TT/110 multi with CFII/MEI.
I also live close to LAX (5 min) and have always wanted to fly to MEX out and back but never thought an airline would do it from LAX. I speak spanish and I can live on first year pay.

Anyone think I have a shot at ASA?

I was at Dallas before Salt lake. Now based in Atlanta. I have been back there 2 weeks and I have done nothing but appologize to passengers for being late, whether it's because of atc or asa or what ever. I cannot believe how Atlanta is run.
I know I still have the best job in the world though. I will never lose sight of that.

I live in LA, I'm at 725 TT/110 multi with CFII/MEI.
I also live close to LAX (5 min) and have always wanted to fly to MEX out and back but never thought an airline would do it from LAX. I speak spanish and I can live on first year pay.

Anyone think I have a shot at ASA?

I'd say you have a very good shot, it just depends on how hard you pursue the people doing the hiring.

All they can say is no thanks. And a good number of our pilots were hired with much less time and experience then you seem to have.

Medeco

So you're saying that compared to throwing sod, ASA isn't that bad. Well this company will do well to hire more like you. Those with little ambition and less education. That's what this industry wants, and that's what they're going to get.

While I am sure, you had it quite well throughout life, I've had a bit of a tougher time. For those snots like you that came into ASA straight out of college without holding down an actual job that required some sort of manual labor, you don't know any better. While there are things that could be better, I refuse to sit around and cry the blues about how terrible life is.

And if ASA hires more guys with my attitude, so be it. At least they won't be dragging me down into your cess pool of self pity. So why don't you take yourself over TSA or Mesa and see how bad it really can be.

Yup, I am.

Yup, I know a lot of folks on this board are negative towards ASA. Am I going to let it dissuade me from going to work with ASA? Nope.

Good attitude, CFI. Remember that most of the loud mouths on these boards are the louder of the whinners. I'm sure they're a load of fun at home too.

This job is what you make of it. If you want to be miserable, you will be. They (Bryan and friends) could obviously do alot of things better here, but it is always worse for somebody else. At work, I bitch along with the rest of them because you see the same thing day in and out. But nobody's forcing us to stay, so it obviously isn't all bad. There are some great pilots here that make alot of it worth while.

There are definately things about your new job that you will love, with or without help from the company. I hope you enjoy it, and welcome aboard.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back