• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA: "Call sign only" in ATL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When talking about ATRs going out the noise track, I would have to say I personally would prefer the speed rather than the altitude. ATRs get an initial altitude of 4000, where all the jets get 10,000, so altitude isn't really as beneficial in that scenario.
Now having said that, your training department does a really good job forcing the speed issue, which is pinnacle in the jets departing to make the system work. When I depart a second jet, I am betting my seperation that the first one is accelerating as quickly as possible; otherwise I will not get the needed separation. When there's not 3 miles between the two departures, I can use visual separtion (you tell me that you can see the guy ahead and will maintain vis), or I use 1000 (hopefully since acft # 1 has not sped up, he will be higher than 1000 feet above your altituide), or as a very last resort I can turn you 15 degrees off his assigned heading. The training department is doing the right thing, as the SID states to accelerate as rapidly as possible. But this is a one size fits all document. There's only 12 ATRs operating out of ATL, we cannot write a book just for you guys.
The very best solution is that if you're able to accept 11,000 as a final altitude, that you request it with CD before you get your clearance. If you opted out of that at the time you picked up your clearance, and end up in a long line waiting for departure, tell the Tower controller you would like 11K as a final (do this when you're at least a few planes back from #1, so we have time to change your strip), and we can still shout over to CD to make the computer change, and by the time you're #1 to go, we can get you turned out into satellite radars airspace (rather than north departures - on the noise track) eliminating the wait for the remaining jets behind you. This ability to turn you out simply takes you out of the picture entirely.
Just remember that we only need this when we have a long line waiting to go and we are not in triple departures. When we are in trips, you're gonna get turned out regardless of your requested final altitude.

It would be cool if there were a regular way for this kind of info to be passed directly to the folks flying the line. It's not necessarily regulatory, but mighty helpful stuff to both pilots and controllers.

There will be captains that I fly with that will be aghast that we might possibly do something different than what was filed, regadless of the benefit to the controller or the flight. A little bit of direct communication between the ATC guys (not on the radio, but stuff like this) and the line-flying pilots would go a long way.

What an amusing thread (except for a select few posts). You people need to relax, lighten up, and have a few beers. Why take work home with you??

Here's one for all RJers @ATL, get your (or Delta's) rampers there to park you! You burn fuel sitting there and we do the same wanting to run you over!

So that's what's been missing from the equation, an effort from us to get the rampers to park us!

Since we're on rant mode in this thread...

Seriously people, why is that, on the CRJ, every time we make any sort of heading change be it only 2 degrees, that one must center the heading bug EVERY TIME. Some people are addicted to that, I think there's nicotine hidden in that heading select knob somewhere...

I had a Captain a few months ago do this when we were flying in HDG mode...it was pretty funny.

So that's what's been missing from the equation, an effort from us to get the rampers to park us!

Yeah, it is. Not too hard to get management to throw a bone up their collective arses and be there when you guys arrive. It was crappy at Citrus a few years back, now they're almost always waiting for us, even when we have to park on the E concourse.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back