ASA ALPA message makes me wonder?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ke4akj1976

I just read the MEC message and it sounds a little depressing. Does anyone have additional info on what was behind this message?

This one:

MEC EYES MERGER IMPACT
Now that Delta and Northwest have officially announced plans to merge the two companies, we’re all
wondering what will happen next. Knowing that the possibility of such a move has been clearly
contemplated for the past several months, our MEC has been watching this situation closely. Our union
leadership will continue to monitor and evaluate the move to consolidate these carriers, with special
attention given to the short and long term effects on ASA pilots. Additionally, we will continue to
communicate with our brothers and sisters at other carriers so that we can help each other through
whatever challenges we may all be facing.

Prior to the merger, Delta announced system wide capacity reductions, mainly due to the high price of oil.
With no foreseen drop in oil prices any time soon, we suspect those reductions and similar streamlining
efforts will continue.

With mergers also come consolidation and change. We don't know whether those changes will have a direct
impact upon us or what that impact might be; it's simply too early to tell. At this point it is crucial that we
keep a level head as we consider this merger and the trickle down influence it may eventually have on all of
us as ASA pilots.

As a strong, unified pilot group we need to stay focused on the immediate tasks of contract implementation
and simply doing our job. In this rapidly-changing environment, it's easy to see that the carriers
demonstrating performance and strength stand the greatest chance of continued vitality and are at the least
risk of dissolution. Our airline’s performance has steadily been on the increase over the past few months,
and we should all take pride in our role as pilots in that improvement. Our greatest strength is our
professionalism. The same level of professionalism that served us well through five years of contract
negotiations will see us through this metamorphosis.

I just read the MEC message and it sounds a little depressing. Does anyone have additional info on what was behind this message?
This whole industry is depressing right now...why would their tone be all "sunshine and rainbows" when that is clearly not the case?

I think JA has shown a clear commitment to seeing both ASA and SkyWest emerge as the strongest regional airline alliance in the country. Until proven otherwise, I would have to say that history shows you have little to worry about.

Don't want to rain on the growth parade, but with Delta wanting to cut 200 RJ's (they've mentioned already that they have too many 50's) I see some storm clouds on the horizon for ASA. We are losing the ATR's this fall, oil is at $117 a barrell and climbing, little opportunity to get outside flying, and well over a 100 reserve captains on the 200 for just over 300 hard lines.

Is it the end of the world for us? Absolutely not! Does it mean upgrades climbing well above the two year mark? You bet. Also you can probably count on much longer reserve times for junior CA/FO's.

The union is just giving a reality check for those of us with our head in the sand. For example.. those who aren't on board with fuel conservation and operational perfomance.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeger

For some reason OH has a huge jump of flying in ATL come June?
I wouldn't get to excited, ASA is taking over the Freedum flying down in MCO so a little shift in flying down to MCO and OH probably filling in the gap in ATL.

I wouldn't get to excited, ASA is taking over the Freedum flying down in MCO so a little shift in flying down to MCO and OH probably filling in the gap in ATL.
Where was my excitement? the last thing I want is others flying (except getting our flying back from Freedum). Its actually a lot more than Freedum was doing.

the ev june sched shows us doing a lot more 200 flying from cvg and a bunch more in mco. considering a month ago our 200 flying was getting chopped i consider that good news.

delta cant be happy with peanucles performance so far - no excuse for their completion factor when they have a spare parked every day.

the summer will be much tougher when we dont have as many spares as we have now, but spreading our operation around cvg and mco will help when those daily atl summer irops hit.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back