• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA, Air Willy or CoEx????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Come to ZW, Philly is *************************in Great. Everyday, ask somebody to kick you in the nuts once or twice real hard, thats about where moral is right now. If you can deal with that, Air Wiskey is for you. Did I mention the schedules......

So ~~~^~~~ - why are you still there?

I have been looking at CHQ pretty hard, but lately, SkyWest, ASA, XJet and Pinnacle have gotten a glance or two..

I'm not really worried about the plane I get put in.. QOL is a big deal to me... I'm also trying to decide if I want to try and commute or not.. I could commute to ATL with zero problems and it's a 30 minute hop.. I could do the same to MEM...

I may even be able to pull off a commute to Xjet, if I was based in Houston, eventually..

For a guy trying to get into the Regionals, this stuff is very hard to chose.. Upgrade times - do they matter? Of course, but they always change it seems like, also like everyone says one day your airline is top-o-da-heap and then the next it's getting drug around on the ground...

Seems like people at CHQ and Xjet are very happy where they are at.. who knows.. I guess we'll see.. :)

I work at XJT and am enjoying it for the most part. I have some of the same gripes as everyone else, but overall I think the quality of life here is pretty good. I'm starting to get some decent schedules and rarely have to deal with scheduling and have never been juniormanned. I also commute out of ATL to EWR by choice and haven't had too much problems. Its tough at times during the summer, but once the CASS systems gets implemented it should help out alot. Good luck

Don't gamble with you're career man, come to AWAC. I believe we are in the running for the best airline on the planet. We have 70 jet powered 1900's getting ready to DOMINATE the east coast, and we're currently buying as many 146's as we can find to open a large west coast market. With all this growth about to occur, upgrades will surely run around the 6 month mark. Come join our little party bud.

Don't listen to Fins, he always thinks the world is caving in. ASA is by no means the best regional. But most regionals are all the same, they are and always will be regionals. Our pay is below Comairs, but our contract has also been expired three years. Sheduling sucks, no way around it. But once you get off first year pay and off reserve, life isnt too bad for a new hire. I love how the guys that have been here ten years complain about how crappy it is, yet their the guys you talk to in the crew lounge who don't have any apps out anywhere and dont want to leave because it would be a paycut initially. They make 70 grand and don't look any further down the road. The most important factor would be an airline with a base you want to live at. Right now CHQ and COEX look the best, but who knows down the road. ASA will be a pretty good job once we get a new contract with better work rules. I've worked at other crappy airlines with no contract and work rules and find it amusing when people who dont know any better compalin about regionals. It is what it is.

Last edited:
146guy said:
Don't gamble with you're career man, come to AWAC. I believe we are in the running for the best airline on the planet. We have 70 jet powered 1900's getting ready to DOMINATE the east coast, and we're currently buying as many 146's as we can find to open a large west coast market. With all this growth about to occur, upgrades will surely run around the 6 month mark. Come join our little party bud.

Have you ever worked at Air Wisconsin............?

yea man....but that's nuthin...

Have you ever worked at Air Wisconsin........ON WEED!!

Jungle Prop said:
Don't listen to Fins, he always thinks the world is caving in. ASA is by no means the best regional. But most regionals are all the same, they are and always will be regionals. Our pay is below Comairs, but our contract has also been expired three years. Sheduling sucks, no way around it. But once you get off first year pay and off reserve, life isnt too bad for a new hire. I love how the guys that have been here ten years complain about how shootty it is, yet their the guys you talk to who don't have any apps out anywhere and dont want to leave because it would be a paycut initially. They make 70 grand and don't look any further down the road. The most important factor would be an airline with a base you want to live at. Right now CHQ and COEX look the best, but who knows down the road. ASA will be a pretty good job once we get a new contract with better work rukes. Ive worked at other shoottier airlines with no contract and work rules and find it amusing when people who dont know any better compalin about regionals. It is what it is.

That is very true. Most of the people that are vocal about complaining about their particular airline have not worked for others in the regional industry. Those that have worked for multiple airlines know that the crap happens at every airiline and not just the one they're presently at.

It also seems the same people complain about the same stuff, over and over and over..

~~~^~~~ said:
It all depends on your expectations. The first year I was here I got transferred to DFW against my will, was paying for two houses, sitting around bored on reserve, flying naps in the E120, getting junior manned when I was 1,000 miles away from base for .98 hours of block time and made $12,200 for the year. The strange thing is - I was happy because I was flying airplanes. Those are the shoes Doo Doo Brown and FS World (short for Flight Simulator?) are apparently in. They are happy because they are "airline pilots."

Now I make 5 times that amount and hold schedules as a CA in my chosen domicile. But I get mad when the phone rings at 02:30 several times a month on my off days (plus every holiday) to junior man me. I get mad that Crew Scheduling uses a calling card and tells my children "it is one of your daddy's friends," tricking them on the phone. I get mad that our Company has an ASAP program to report pilots to the FAA (which starts certificate action) while denying pilots an ASAP program without negotiating it into the contract. I get mad that crew scheduling can run you up to 02: 00 into your off day and not compensate you and can junior man you without regard for seniority (ever day off is a day of reserve at time and a half at this airline) You think you can drink a beer on your day off - think again. They junior manned a friend of mine and assigned him a trip while he was int he middle of a lake in a Bass boat holding a beer in one hand and a pole in the other. And yes he got a trip failure / occurrence when he no show'd despite the fact he was physiologically incapable of operating the airplane.

A slave is someone who has no control of their schedule or their life. We are slaves.

Another friend of mine was driving home to be with his dying mother. He was junior manned and threatened. He turned down the assignment. His mother died. ASA fired him. That is the sort of airline this is.

A professional pilot is someone who asks how much a job pays before asking what kind of airpane they will be flying. Over the years you realize that this is a profession and you begin to want to be treated like a professional. ASA would prefer that you left the Company when you reach that point in your professional life. Our current president put the number at 5 and 1/2 years, which is about right.

In balance some corporate / 135 jobs are like ASA. You have an boss who holds your Certificate out to the FAA every time he screws up and you have no control over your schedule. If you like that sort of thing, could use the excercise picketing, and like to stand around a barrell burning wood with your union buddies this winter - welcome aboard. Just don't expect much.

Dude, do we work at the same airline? That really sucks if this stuff has happened to you and I would assume that the union got your buddy his job back, if not then their may have been some other circumstances with him that you may not know about, two sides to every story. Screw scheduling is definitely guilty of doing some ridiculous things, that is what our union is for, to resolve occurences and wrongful terminations. Personally anytime I have been jr manned, it was because I was the most junior person available, and I did the research to make sure. I am sure that there have been instances where the company went out of senoirity order, but what is to say the did not try contacting that person and they did not answer the phone, so they move to the next person. there have been quite a few changes in management over the past several days, and it has been ALL for the better. I personally have not experienced any of these scenarios mentioned above and it is unfortunate if that is exactly how things went down, but like I said two sides to every story. I think that Skywest is going to try and make us a better airline both operationally and with the employee groups. ASA has the potential to be a great company, hopefully the steps taken in recent days are in the right direction, only time will tell. As for which airline to go too, it's a crapshoot, who knows, upgrades at airlines change like the wind, unfortunately right now we are all at the mercy of our mainline partners, and everyone is in panic mode, so which airline to go too, I would stay close to home. One more thing, why get mad when crew scheduling calls at those hours, I would laugh and not answer the phone.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back