• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA -700 Loses Engine After TO in MEM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sounds like they experienced transient compressor stalls on take off based on the memphis tv story. Or was this thread about 200hr FO's? I forget.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=114922

According to "witnesses" and emergency types, flames were "shooting out of the back of the engine". Flowboard shows it being airborne for 1 hr and 9 minutes before returning to MEM.

Sounds like Ship 720 is becoming the new "Christine". I think it's the same one that had the right thrust lever lock at idle in a descent below 10K inbound to ATL about a month ago.

Maybe, it was misreported--never happened before?

Last edited:
This thread lacks the serious Deets that I require!

How do you see flames shoot out the back of engine where your on a CRJ? That guys got awesome peripheral vision. Or maybe he was catching a ride in the aft equipment bay.

I hope it's connected to something!

It's FADEC so there's not a whole lot of mechanical stuff going on there, but as Oakum said there is a fuel shutoff latch (for lack of a better term) and a thrust reverser mechanism. I suppose one of these could have been the culprit.

no story here - fod damage to the compressor. stalled a few times and the crew shut it down. nicely done and well handled. engine will be changed per mtc.

Latest resources

Back