ASA 4 Days

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IFLYASA

The ASA CRJ200 lines have very few 3 day trips anymore. 79 hours or less. I know SH says they are less efficient than 4 days but can someone prove to me how an 19 hour 3 day is less efficient than a 19 hour 4 day? Considering that's an extra 24 hours per diem that's paid out for all crew members on each trip.

I hear Southwest does alot of 3 days. Maybe they know something ASA doesn't.

I held 3 days about 3-4 years ago and can't even touch them unless I've been here like 18 years. What a joke.

I'm sure since the company is really pushing PBS, they would tend to make hard lines not so desirable to pursuade us to go to PBS. If this were the case, I would vote "NO" just because of what they are doing, regardless how good PBS is talked up.

Not defending the practice but Southwest controls all of their flying, we're at the whim of Delta's schedule.

This sounds like a great question for SH himself. Why not ask the Scheduling Committee to answer that too. They're the ones who should be enforcing a "mix of trips" per the contract, correct?

Someone explained it to me one time and said that it's due to the 3.75 min day and 75 min month guaruntees that 4 days over 3 days save the company money. Don't ask me to explain it because I can't. I'll say that when it was explained to me it made sense. Just another unintended consequence.

This sounds like a great question for SH himself. Why not ask the Scheduling Committee to answer that too. They're the ones who should be enforcing a "mix of trips" per the contract, correct?

I'm sure they'll just say "we've filed a grievance."

The ASA CRJ200 lines have very few 3 day trips anymore. 79 hours or less. I know SH says they are less efficient than 4 days but can someone prove to me how an 19 hour 3 day is less efficient than a 19 hour 4 day? Considering that's an extra 24 hours per diem that's paid out for all crew members on each trip.

I hear Southwest does alot of 3 days. Maybe they know something ASA doesn't.

I held 3 days about 3-4 years ago and can't even touch them unless I've been here like 18 years. What a joke.

I'm sure since the company is really pushing PBS, they would tend to make hard lines not so desirable to pursuade us to go to PBS. If this were the case, I would vote "NO" just because of what they are doing, regardless how good PBS is talked up.

Well, your example is easy. A 19 hour 3 day is less efficient than a 19 hour 4 day because an extra overnight is covered with the 4 day trip, so it takes fewer pilots to fly a 19 hour 4 day, on average for the whole schedule. The more overnights there are per trip, the fewer distinct crews you need to cover them.

Remember, it all depends on what you mean by "efficient." Scott means, "Trips that require the fewest crews to operate the entire month's schedule." What you mean is, "Trips that utilize ME the most possible hours per day." Those are fundamentally two different points of view, and I think it is the main disconnect when crews hear that 4 days are more efficient than 3 days.

I agree that if they are making the lines bad for the purposes of "selling" PBS, it will backfire.

To have more three days you need to have more naps. The company feels that nap lines are not cost effective and want to limit them. Hence, no 3 days.

Law of unintended consequences.

To have more three days you need to have more naps. The company feels that nap lines are not cost effective and want to limit them. Hence, no 3 days.

Law of unintended consequences.

I feel like everyone on this site learned this phrase last month. Now you all want yo use it like kids want the hot toy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back