• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA 200/25? Nice!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Landing on centerline? Crosswind correction? Those are words of a bygone era. I can't remember the last time that happened while on FD2.

Landing on centerline? Crosswind correction? Those are words of a bygone era. I can't remember the last time that happened while on FD2.

The lower standards have reached all levels. I never know what kind of co-pilot I'm getting from one day to the next. Most are good, but once in awhile I just know the work load will be tripled....and of course, they feel they've earned it because of their extensive 5 years experience in aviation.
5 years to get to a major....can you believe it!

I still don't grasp the whole idea of flight time with most people on this board.......Truth be told there's probably some 22 year-old kid in Iraq with the same amount of flightime flying F-16's or F-22's and nobody on this board is having an ass wiping hissy-fit over that....Military Pilots leave UPT with barely 300 Hrs if that....My point is it's all about ability not flightime....Do you seriously mean to tell me a year or two of extra chandelles and lazy eights, (or my personal favorite Slow Flight) will make someone that much better for line flying a CRJ...GET REAL!!!

Oh and the European students leave the US with a wet Comm-Muti and head back to their Country and Fly an Airbus....Once again ABILITY not FLIGHTIME is what is significant!!!!!!

Um how about a no on that one. Most guys who are flying in Iraq are between 28 and 33. At 22 in the military you are just finishing college and heading off to OCS. Once you get done with that you usually fly a desk for 2 more years before you get to go train in C172. If you are lucky you are a fighter jock by the time you are 27.
The people who are sent over here to train for the European airlines go home and fly right seat with very SENIOR Capts for a long time. Also they rarely fly the plane.
So the problem is 1) you get a kid with 400 hours and is paired with a Capt who barely met mins and we get another Dude Lets go to 410! 2) Some of us here paid our freakin dues taking loans out, flying freight, flight instructing for YEARS to get where we are while the new kids come out of flight school and EXPECT it. 3) Flight time=EXPERIENCE! Ability is nothing more then luck and sooner or later that ability runs out while Experience keeps you alive.

Bailey

Regardless of your side in the "250 hour qualified pilot" debate, ASA for years depended on the professionalism and stick skills of their line pilots to keep the entire Company going for years. At ASA pilots do not have the kind of support from dispatch, maintenance, or Sr. management, that allows them the luxury of distracting their attention for even a second when out flying the line.

ASA has had an ace up its sleeve in the form of an excellent training department who has successfully transformed the 250 hour wonders into pretty good line pilots. The rest of the process has been completed by experienced Captains who knew when to say "No" and bring things to a stop until safety was ensured.

The low time pilots do expose the airline and passengers to risk. It is a simple matter of experience. At best inexperience slows down the operation and makes it impossible to maintain schedule integrity. At its worst, you have a pilot learning on the job, with passengers along for the ride. LaGuardia with a 25 knot crosswind and 145 knot Vref is not a good place to get a person's first experience with braking action reports in the winter.

Bailey is correct. Flying frieght is probably the best preparation for flying passengers that there is. ASA actually has more going for it than most frieght operators and the pressures are the same. When you get a jet with passengers it should be a sort of graduation to a higher standard.

This is where ALPA should get involved in raising the standard or at least reminding pilots that THEY are responsible for the safety of the passengers.

I still don't grasp the whole idea of flight time with most people on this board.......Truth be told there's probably some 22 year-old kid in Iraq with the same amount of flightime flying F-16's or F-22's and nobody on this board is having an ass wiping hissy-fit over that....Military Pilots leave UPT with barely 300 Hrs if that....My point is it's all about ability not flightime....Do you seriously mean to tell me a year or two of extra chandelles and lazy eights, (or my personal favorite Slow Flight) will make someone that much better for line flying a CRJ...GET REAL!!!

Oh and the European students leave the US with a wet Comm-Muti and head back to their Country and Fly an Airbus....Once again ABILITY not FLIGHTIME is what is significant!!!!!!

Big difference. The guy in Iraq is being shot at and the local 200 hr kid is worried when he's gonna get to sleep with a FA. It's called maturity and most but, not all, of the 200 hr local kids are lacking it.

And you talk about the European pilots. Yeah their parents kick their butt if they fail or screw up, in the states their parents just give them a new BMW and pay their rent in a bigger apt so they have some place to take the FAs.

When you get a jet with passengers it should be a sort of graduation to a higher standard.

I'm sure the pax in the back of that rj are thrilled tommy, with the haircut and sexwax bumper sticker are thrilled.

Latest resources

Back