• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AS Recalls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My guess is that LAX won't fly any more ETOPS trips once SEA is trained, especially now that LAX-CUN is going away.

The next question I have is, will this bid really happen? Why do they need all those crews up in ANC?

Yes the bid will happen. They need the crews in ANC to fly the ETOPS stuff until SEA is fully trained in 2011. Remember SEA won't start being trained until September, then it's training for 750 guys for ETOPS. That's going to take a while. After that, ANC will fly all of the State of Alaska flying, including SE, so the base will be roughly the same size anyway when this all shakes out.

It will be very interesting to see how they think they're going to accomplish all this training. Even in the fall, it still ain't gonna be a picnic in regards to scheduling.

I was curious to see the bid results on Friday. I was hoping for a deer in the headlights moment like, "oops, we screwed up again and we needed to recall 30 pilots last month". Since they sent out this "no recall for 2 years" letter, they seem pretty confident that they don't need to recall anyone this year.

But, this is AS management we're talking about, and we all know what that means....

Nah, I don't think this letter indicates anything about when they think they are going to recall. I think it's more to do with technical compliance to the contract. That being said, for the guys on the bottom even if they started recalling tomorrow I think it would still be 12 months before the very bottom of the list had any hope of recall.

That being said it seems that their are some rumblings that we may be in for another down turn. There are rumors that box sales at Weyerhaeurser was off in February after solid signs of improvement through the fall and winter. (box sales are thought to be a leading indicator of economic activity as their sales cut through a broad swath of different industries...if you own a factory and you don't expect to sell much in the coming months you don't order very many boxes.) If that turns out to be true we are all screwed no matter where we are on the furlough list.

I was curious to see the bid results on Friday. I was hoping for a deer in the headlights moment like, "oops, we screwed up again and we needed to recall 30 pilots last month". Since they sent out this "no recall for 2 years" letter, they seem pretty confident that they don't need to recall anyone this year.

But, this is AS management we're talking about, and we all know what that means....

You're close, but cut it in half!

16 vacancies in ANC! TK says "possible recalls"! Better than the other option. Good luck to part of the 106.

Note: This bid award has sixteen First Officer Vacancies in Anchorage. At this time, the impact of these
vacancies is under review. A number of pilots are scheduled to return from leaves of absences, military
duty and approved employment contracts in April which will determine whether a recall is necessary.
The decision should be made in early April. In the interim a reduction bid, 2010-06b has been posted
reducing the 16 Anchorage vacancies to 14 Anchorage vacancies.
Thanks.​
T K, Chief Pilot

Last edited:
It's really 14 vacancies...for now. I guess they didn't want to keep the sixteen even though two were caused by the two retirements. They just decided to make staffing even tighter, by simpling reducing the two retired pilots' positions.

And I just got my certified FU from Alaska. . . only one year late.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back