• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fubijaakr

Seniority is Forever
Ok guys, just for fun...

Now that the AS pilot contract is in place let's imagine there is a merger/acquisition. Both pilot groups are ALPA, so the ALPA merger/fragmentation policy applies. The highlights? No windfalls, no DoH and preserve jobs. How would you merge the lists?

Here's my suggestion. AS has 1455 pilots, 60 on furlough. AAI has 1663.
AAI began flying 10/26/1993. AAI's junior Captain (July 2004) is significantly junior to our junior Captain (December 1998).

Of course, the starting point is no bump, no flush. Whatever bid position you hold prior to SLI date, you continue to hold. However, AFTER SLI date, all vacancies would be filled from the merged system seniority list.

The list starts with all AS Captains hired prior to 10/26/1993. That accounts for 427 AS pilots. Any AS/AAI pilots on furlough at SLI date would go to the bottom of the list (sorted by original date of hire) since they do not hold a current bid postion.

That leaves 968 AS and 1663 AAI pilots. Since that ratio is about 1:1.7 the remaining pilots should be ratioed together using 2 AAI pilots for each AS pilot.

No base/equipment fences.

Let the games begin!

Ok guys, just for fun...

Now that the AS pilot contract is in place let's imagine there is a merger/acquisition. Both pilot groups are ALPA, so the ALPA merger/fragmentation policy applies. The highlights? No windfalls, no DoH and preserve jobs. How would you merge the lists?

Here's my suggestion. AS has 1455 pilots, 60 on furlough. AAI has 1663.
AAI began flying 10/26/1993. AAI's junior Captain (July 2004) is significantly junior to our junior Captain (December 1998).

Of course, the starting point is no bump, no flush. Whatever bid position you hold prior to SLI date, you continue to hold. However, AFTER SLI date, all vacancies would be filled from the merged system seniority list.

The list starts with all AS Captains hired prior to 10/26/1993. That accounts for 427 AS pilots. Any AS/AAI pilots on furlough at SLI date would go to the bottom of the list (sorted by original date of hire) since they do not hold a current bid postion.

That leaves 968 AS and 1663 AAI pilots. Since that ratio is about 1:1.7 the remaining pilots should be ratioed together using 2 AAI pilots for each AS pilot.

No base/equipment fences.

Let the games begin!

Well, looking at the last two mergers with ALPA (USAir and DL/NW), I would have to guess you WON'T get DOH. That is bad for you senior AK pilots. I would say that would be a windfall for the AAI guys, and they would love it. Your furloughed AK guys would also be put below all of the AAI pilots (like at USAir) since they are not on the property currently. Go for it! (Can I still jumpseat to Sitka? Can't wait....) Relative seniority rules the day, and trying to prove who brings in more money etc just doesn't work. So, blend in some ex Eastern Scabs at the top of your combined list, and everyone will be happy. Some AK guys will GET TO move to ATL, when senior AAI guys push West. Sounds like a win win for somebody...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I thought I was bored, but you must have absolutely nothing to do.

You got that right!

Well, looking at the last two mergers with ALPA (USAir and DL/NW), I would have to guess you WON'T get DOH.

No kidding, Gen'l. That's because DoH is not a component of the ALPA merger/frag policy (thank-you, UAL pilots!).

That is bad for you senior AK pilots. I would say that would be a windfall for the AAI guys, and they would love it.

Thus the suggestion of protection for the Pre-1993 hires. That was the way the AS/JA SLI merger went. 250 (or so) premerger AS pilots went on top with a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio after that. Granted, some JA pilots got a seniority windfall, but by the time you got to the middle of the list, it was pretty even.

Your furloughed AK guys would also be put below all of the AAI pilots (like at USAir) since they are not on the property currently. Go for it!

I believe I said that.

(Can I still jumpseat to Sitka? Can't wait....)

Absolutely. DAL pilots are always welcome on AS jumpseats.

Relative seniority rules the day, and trying to prove who brings in more money etc just doesn't work. So, blend in some ex Eastern Scabs at the top of your combined list, and everyone will be happy.

True and true. The Eastern scabs part sucks, but you have to take the good with the bad.

And you think this is a fun discussion... WHY?

Because even hypothetical SLI discussions bring out the best in everybody!

JJR your and idiot ALK is not buying or merging with AAI... GS doesn't have a clue what is going on at ALK anymore but I can only imagine He likes to pretend for his ego sake.

JJR your and idiot ALK is not buying or merging with AAI... GS doesn't have a clue what is going on at ALK anymore but I can only imagine He likes to pretend for his ego sake.

Fubi=JJR... is this the same guy who likes to jack with non-union jumpseaters?

Some flight attendant claims that an intoxicated GS chatted her up and leaked a major business deal...now that is a credible source. (Please note sarcasm) JJ, I mean Fubijaakr, get a life.

Latest resources

Back