• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Article on FAA Rest Rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What has worked like a CHARM for me the past 13 years of flying corporate and 121 cargo.......when asked to do something ridiculous where rest, being tired, fatigue or just simply something that will just make me miserable because its on the back side of the clock and I've already been up all day.......

I ask the DO, CP or charter person contacting me for the trip...."please email the complete itinerary." Thats where it usually stops............lol

Flying "overly" tired....I won't do it. Period. If its quick 1-2 hour deal then I'll be on the ground, no problem. But hell if I'm ever gonna except a trip after being up all day, and then someone wants me to start a 7-13 hour duty cycle.

Last charter company I worked for had a rule....no charter flights were accepted if they started at 11pm or 1am if they were more than just a couple hour deal....... UNLESS....the crew knew about it in the morning and purposely made it a point to sleep during that day in preparation....and it was up to us pilots. They actually asked us if we could do it.

Regulations or no regulations.....thats not the deciding factor, its the pilots who cause this problem. But unfortunately most pilots allow people to use them like slaves. Too bad for them I guess........

Last edited:
I don't have to; it is a reg, I don't make'em I just live by them

and life is good for you as a management pilot.... cause those "Regs" are nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

and life is good for you as a management pilot.... cause those "Regs" are nothing more than lipstick on a pig.
There is no comparison of our jobs, I believe you fly Int'l wide bodies on a schedule, you have a F/E or load master handle your cargo. I fly beat up old DA-20's in North American without a schedule, I push the cargo in and out of the airplane. Life is very good for you and you makes ton more money than I do. BTW I have no idea what this has to do with the discussion of the regs we have to live by, and the changes that may make it easier to manage fatigue. But back to my assertation that there are no rules that will remove all fatigue from the cockpit, well except drugs like the military does in special cases.

Last edited:
for those that don't get ALPA emails...
-----------------------------

Dear Fellow ALPA Pilots:

As you know, ALPA has been fighting hard for One Level of Safety for our pilots and actively engaged in the debate over flight time and duty time in Washington, DC for the last 2 years.

Today, we find ourselves at the 10-yard line, as it appears a final rule on pilot fatigue is imminent. Opponents of the rule have been playing hard defense, and attempting to stop the rule at all costs, even though the draft rule is science-based and was supported by industry during the Aviation Rulemaking Committee process.

We have fought back against those who want to degrade One Level Of Safety each step of the way, and we have made giant strides down the field toward getting a draft rule that established One Level of Safety. Now, as the regulatory review process comes to a close, we are hearing that there could be a cargo exclusion cutout. As part of the final review portion of the rulemaking process, strong consideration is being given to introducing a cargo cut out which would exempt cargo carriers from having to comply with the FAR rules that non-cargo carriers would be required to follow.

This is unacceptable, and every ALPA pilot must stand up and voice your objection to anything less than One Level of Safety for all pilots.

Congress mandated a science-based rule to apply to all pilots, knowing that fatigue does not discriminate based on the type of operation a pilot is flying. Pilots are all human, and fatigue impacts us all the same way. Cargo and passenger operate in the same airspace. Everyone is affected by this unsatisfactory decision by the FAA and White House. Your voice must be heard now – demand One Level of Safety for all pilots and take part in the Call to Action now.

http://www.alpa.org/AboutALPA/tabid/1740/Default.aspx

Captain Lee Moak
President
Air Line Pilots Association, International

for those that don't get ALPA emails...
-----------------------------

Dear Fellow ALPA Pilots:
thank you; we did not have email when I was in ALPA

This is absolutely asinine, the ONLY people saying this doesn't need to be done are the trade associations. They are blatantly saying that profit outweighs safety, at least for cargo ops, the pax ops, well, now we can't touch that! So hypocritical!

The first freighter that plows into a plane load of pax due to a R/W incursion or smoking holes into a neighborhood should have them singing a different tune.

More to the point:
The ATA, etc. are saying yes to the new rules for their pax ops, no argument at all. But take that same pilot and sit them in a freighter and suddenly the argument changes...because they cannot be...wait for it... PROFITABLE? I call BS on this one.

With the coming hiring increases (age 65, new rules for regionals, new rules for fly/duty time) there is going to be a lot less experience to get people out of trouble, especially at the lower tier employers.

We cannot maintain the "push on" attitude so well displayed in several posts on this board. Professionalism breeds safety, and just because a flight is "legal" does not mean it should go, or that it is professional to do so, in fact quite the opposite.

If these rules are not needed then let's make it across the industry, not just cargo, science and fact be damned!

More to the point:
..because they cannot be...wait for it... PROFITABLE? I call BS on this one.
Yes profits are terrible, why with profits companies stay in business, employees make money, and hire new people. We just can not have this, no more of this profit stuff.

or smoking holes into a neighborhood should have them singing a different tune.
Especially if it crashes into a Human society full of new puppies waiting for adoption, that would be even more tragic.

Last edited:
Yes profits are terrible, why with profits companies stay in business, employees make money, and hire new people. We just can not have this, no more of this profit stuff.

Especially if it crashes into a Human society full of new puppies waiting for adoption, that would be even more tragic.

you are a sad individual..

Latest resources

Back