Arrogant/cocky first officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captains....

Don't forget the rest of the crew, FA's, groung personell, customer service etc....

Respect is earned not by the additional stripe, but how the captain treats all the other people he/she depends on.

Nobody likes people who are arrogant. But personally, I think it is far WORSE when the captain is the cocky one, over the FO. Those captains are a danger in the sky. If they yell, or say stuff like" I know what I am doing", the next time the FO sees something that might compromise safety, she/he might hesitate or think twice about saying something about it, just so the captain doesn't get on his case.

If your the Captain, and you find yourself sitting next to an arrogant FO, you can have the last laugh.

But I feel sorry for the new FO, who's sitting next to a captain who thinks he/she is gods gift to aviation.

General Lee said:
Cocky Captains are the same type of guys/girls that want to be line checkairman. What was that famous old saying? Never let a guy who wants to be a line check airman be one. Always find the guy/girl that gets along with everybody, and then ask them to be the check airman.

YAY!! I am a nice guy!! Thanks. Check Airmanship was dropped on my lap.

Thanks Lee!:D

Last edited:
Re: Captains....

greyhound said:

But I feel sorry for the new FO, who's sitting next to a captain who thinks he/she is gods gift to aviation.
True story:
I was fresh off IOE and got paired for a 4 leg local with a senior captain who for purposes of semi-anonymity we'll call Bud. Incidentally Bud left us for a major a few years ago.

Bud's briefing started something like this:

Bud: How many hours do you have in this airplane?
Me: xx, I just got off IOE last week.
Bud: Well let me tell you something. I consider you more of a liability than an asset.

That really happened. Hindsight is 20/20. What I should have done at that point is excused myself, called scheduling and had myself pulled off the flight. When they asked me why I would have told them "the Captain does not feel comfortable flying with me." and left it at that. I'm 99% sure there would have been no repercussions for me.

General Lee,
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I've flown with many check airmen and naturally had the normal share of line checks. Some of the check airmen I've flown with are exemplary captains. Obviously there may be some out there that are not enjoyable to work with but I haven't run into them. Perhaps our check airmen selection process is more refined than others.

Last edited:
I get a laugh out of a captain saying "this is my airplane". HA HA, do the shareholders know about that? Board of directors? Oh, and is if is your plane, do you get a healthy kickback per passenger? BTW, what are you charging the airline per month to use your plane?

Remember folks, the ONLY reason the person is in the left seat is because they are senior enough to hold captain!!!

Who cares anyways!! It all boils down to nailing chicks!!

SFR said:
I get a laugh out of a captain saying "this is my airplane". HA HA, do the shareholders know about that? Board of directors? Oh, and is if is your plane, do you get a healthy kickback per passenger? BTW, what are you charging the airline per month to use your plane?

Remember folks, the ONLY reason the person is in the left seat is because they are senior enough to hold captain!!!

Who cares anyways!! It all boils down to nailing chicks!!

NO COMMENT.:rolleyes:

SFR,
You just showed why this thread was started........idiot.

It's not that hard to work together and enjoy it. Like it or not, the CA is in charge, kid. A good CA will be able to make that clear without being an a$$. A good FO will show his worth without being an a$$. That's why there's two of us up there. Someone's going to screw up sooner or later.

Last edited:
acaTerry- To quote the famous Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up Francis"

Having spent time in both seats, I've seen my fair share of a-holes in either seat. Most of the FO's I fly with that I can't stand will someday be the Captains I use to hate flying with. Although that is the beauty of the left seat, it's a lot easier to deal with an arrogant FO than an arrogant Captain. While it's not easy to deal with an arrogant Captain, I've found the best way is to not accept any of their crap. If you're a competent FO, you can repect the Captain's authority without having to take his/her crap. Do things by the book, and you'll have no problem. If the captain doesn't like that, tell them you'd be more than happy to discuss it with a Chief Pilot.

I agree with SFR, the only reason the guy in the left seat is there is seniority. Some retards have enough seniority to hold left seat, while others don't. Like it or not, every company's got 'em.

Personally, as soon as I think there may be a personality conflict or overbearingness it is time to find some common ground.. Remember when you interviewed for that precious job.. All you wanted to do is connect with the interviewer, strike a common ground without being overzealous or goofy. I talk about cars, golf, family, politics.. just find your fellow crewmembers buttons. Find out what interests him/her and chat. I don't mean be a motormouth, but connect and start a friendship even with the hardest of people and you won't find yourself dreading flying with them, b/c you won't find yourself only talking/critiquing the flying, and risk finding yourself in a rut with a specific capt or fo. That is what I do.. just be nice.. I prefer turning a cheek, even after I am talked down to, and act like it wasn't said which is easier than building a wall and seeing CRM break down. Maybe it all just boils down to tact. Maybe then the criticism/help (however you want to view it) will be tactful and professional, no kid gloves or yelling required.

Re: Geting off the subject sorry...

Thunderchief said:
My question is for MetroSheriff and Trainer Jet.

No offense, BUT

Do you guys ever fly?

With that number of posts I don't know how its possible unless your wireless laptop works at FL310?

All in good fun-
-TC
:cool:

Yep. But as little as possible.:)

Currently I do turns, day trips (actually night trips), or whatever you want to call it, on Wed, Thur, and Fri nights, off the rest of the week, and home every day.

acaTerry- To quote the famous Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up Francis" While it's not easy to deal with an arrogant Captain, I've found the best way is to not accept any of their crap.

I am lightened up (I just like to be humorously loudmouthed).
Anyway, I can only agree with you on the grounds that what the CA is doing is ....crap. Too often though, the problem is that the FO is a young hotshot who thinks he's awesome or something. You know the type: 20 or so years old, less than 1000 hours and got a job that he is no way mature or developed enough to handle. He read the interview gouge, put on a good show at the interview, had a good training partner and so got into an airliner. Now he goes around telling everyone that he is in the jet because is was too good to waste on a prop....all that junk. And having a CA coach him is always taken as a personal attack. So they go around saying that this CA is mean, that CA is bossy, etc.
When I was an FO, I found that 90% or more of the "bad" CA's that other FO's warned me about were just fine. The only thing was that they wanted you to know your job and follow the standards. You do your job well and everything turns out fine. You blow everything you do because you are stuck on the thrill of polyester, or act like a hot shot, and you are not going to have a good time. It's almost always that simple. Perhaps if more of the kids getting into airliners ever had to work a real job, with someone over them, they'd accept the CA and FO roles a little less personally and a little more professionally. The fact is, CA is the boss. FO is what keeps the boss from killing everyone. This does not mean that you mouth off when he corrects you for being ref-10, or for sounding like an idiot on the radio. The CA has a job to do and that is to get the FO ready to be a CA. Until you pin on the CA stripes, be a good FO and learn from the CA. Yes, it's all about seniority, but if he was there first, he was there longer. Does the 38 year old SSGT blow off a 26 year old Major? No. Should the FO tell the CA to go to hell, my approach is fine, it's just 8 little knots? No.
You Captains: a good FO is great. Do you think that a newly upgraded CA in a new plane is better than that high time FO? Hell no. He will likely fly it better. But he will still accept your position of authority. So take some tips from them. But do not let them think for one second that they can usurp your position as CA. This thread has alot of these types by the sounds of things. Grow up everyone, before your little pissing match kills someone.

Latest resources

Back