• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Arrested - No Chance of a Job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your career is not over nor unachievable by any means. Time that has passed since, circumstances surrounding the conviction and current conduct in the last 5 years will be most determining in their decisions. I myself have been convicted of simple misdemeanors when I was young and have been employed by 3 121 Carriers. Disclose all your information, what you have learned from it and constructivly sell yourself and your lifes current character. However if you fail to disclose you "WILL" be terminated if hired and you will destroy your reputation in this indusrty and label yourself as an un-trustworthy employee to any potential employer.

It is really no big deal, in fact once you disclose your information you will be placed in the CEO application file.

I think the advice to confess all may be very bad.

You need to talk to an attorney who knows about labor law.

I don't have time to look it up now, but there are very specific laws about what a company can and can't ask, and what they can and can't consider when evaluating applicants

In particular I'm almost certain it is illegal to ask about arrests, or to deny employment on the basis of arrests without convictions.

It is, I'm pretty sure, legal to ask in an interview if have ever been convicted of a specific crime directly related to the job you are applying for. I think there are time limits even on directly related convictions. Remember, felons are a protected class for employment.

There are strict rules about background checks, there are many 'no-nos' that employers must follow when using them.

Before you take the interviewer down memory lane talk to a qualified HR lawyer about your concerns. It will cost you a hundred bucks or so, and it will be worth it.

This may be just rumor, but I've heard 'JO the Clown' loves to hire anyone jailed (or convicted) on SEC violations...

I've never seen an airline application or FAA form that asked about arrests. Convictions, yes, but not arrests. You are not hiding anything by not coming forward with them. If they ask, then yes you should give the details and be honest. But if they only ask about convictions (inculding pleas and deferred ajudication) then you are being completely honest when you say no.

on a somewhat related note. lets say you got a speeding ticket or two and you know a lawyer who took them to court and got them thrown out. technically you were found not guilty of those speeding tickets. so should you reveal them on an interview that you got them when asked?

The background check only goes back 10 years. If your arrests occured PRIOR to this period, there is no need to mention it. Period. Besides which, if its a juvenile offense, in many states it won't even show on a standard background check. And even if it did, I doubt anyone would care. We all did dumb things as kids. Unless you were tried/convicted as an adult or something drastic like that... I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the support.

Right now I just want the opportunity to live out my aspirations and have worked very hard since my late teens to get through college on the deans list and acquire all of the certificates to fly professionally. Now that I've finally gotten to a point where I'm competitive, its casuing a lot of anxiety.

One thing no one has mentioned was whether once you are called for the interview if they ask anything further about convictions. Is there a paper application that needs to be filled out which readdresses the convictions and whether you were convicted of a misdemeanor or violation which is what one of them amounted to, albeit, beyond 10 years ago. Basically, how much more do they delve into this topic at the typical regional interview.

also, is there actually a legal statute of limitations for convictons beyond ten years?

Thanks again for the responses and for those who PM'ed.

These days stuff can be found out about that happened more than 10 yrs ago. Be honest. Period. Good luck. Most airlines understand that boys will be boys. They just wanna see that we grew out of that stage.

Only tell them what they can find out. If its been expunged then you dont have to disclose it. They wont find out. Trust me. You are applying to some crappy airline, not the CIA

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back