Army Pilots! (APTAP) Meeting in DFW 6/15

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BIGBROWNDC8

Hope its ok to post this, I clipped this from the "Aviation Message Board (Military Section)"

Being a former Army Pilot, I know the misperceptions certain airlines had about me and my abilities as a pilot before I even showed up to my interview. This is going to be a great event that will allow Army pilots the opportunity to get their message out. Its long, but if your an Army pilot, either currently or formerly, this is important. It looks like a good time, not to mention an opportunity to see and meet some really cool mentors and see some of your buds... Ill be there... Heres the clipped message:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In an attempt to publicize one of the soon to be greatest conferences ever, I want everyone to know about the upcoming APTAP (Army Pilot to Airline Pilot) Conference in Dallas on June 15th. Several dedicated individuals have spent a lot of time and energy putting this together. For those of you not familiar with APTAP, the website (www.aptap.org) is the result of former Army Pilots who made the airline transition with the frustrations of limited help and networking. It has been put together to assist Army Pilots who are thinking of leaving the Army in hopes of getting a professional flying job. Information provided is based on several personal experiences and observations, which should serve as guidance, not a guarantee. Although it is Army focussed, we have members from all services and invite all who are willing to participate and contribute. There are no fees, although YOUR ONLY DUES TO THIS FREE ORGANIZATION ARE TO HELP ANOTHER APTAPer OUT.

Back to the conference.....The purpose of this meeting is to educate and raise the awareness of what today's Army Aviation and the Army Aviator is all about, in particular, how the skills we have as Army Aviators and leaders should be recognized and given due respect when looking at civilian flying careers.

HERE IS WHAT WE ARE DOING

We are bringing Army Aviation to the forefront of the aviation world. We are going to do away with the occasionally held stigma and stereotype of the Army helicopter pilot by setting a new standard in the airline industry.

Over the past two years APTAP has held meetings throughout the world and has been able to attract participation from many Airlines. In fact, Captain Plato Rhyne, Manager of Pilot Recruitment at Delta Airlines, has been an avid supporter of APTAP and has spoken at many of our meetings. The next meeting will be held at the American Airlines Conference Center and we are pleased to have the commitments from these individuals and airlines:

Major General Curran, Army Aviation Branch Chief

Retired Lieutenant General Gus Cianciolo (Master Army Aviator)

CW5 Jim Morgan Chief of Warrant Officer Assignments or CW5 Carl Jenkins

CW3 Mark Meyer U.S. Army Warrant Officer Recruiting Command

Captain Bob Kudwa, current Vice President of Operations for American Airlines

Captain Cecil Ewell, former Vice President of Operations for American Airlines

Captain Plato Rhyne, Manager of Pilot Recruitment at Delta Airlines (tentative)

Rob Brantner and Stephanie Heron’Weeber Directors of Training Pan Am Flight Academy

Captain Steve Briner Chief Pilot Comair Airlines

Claudette Carrol Pilot Recruiter American Eagle Airlines

Judy Tarver Pilot Counselor for J.A. Tarver Associates

Pat Freeze Owner of Arrow Films (Currently producing and directing the Huey documentary, In The Shadow Of The Blade and will be filming at the DFW APTAP meeting)

ATTENDING AIRLINES : American, Delta, Northwest, Southwest, American Eagle, Comair, ASA, Northwest Airlink, Transtates, ACA

Several other carriers who have showed an interest and we are currently trying to confirm their attendance are:
Alaska, UPS, Fed Ex, Mesa, Chicago Express, Vanguard, EJA, Flex Jet, Mesaba, Air net, Frontier, Air Tran)

We are currently working on additional guest speakers including a NASA Astronaut, and a Medal of Honor winner who are former Army Aviators.

EVENTS:
There will be numerous events all throughout the day. Several airlines will be accepting resumes. We will be conducting mock interviews and debriefings, resume critiquing, counseling and mentoring, technical presentations, guest speakers and guided tours of the C.R. Smith museum and maybe the American Airlines Flight Academy. We are trying to schedule the recruiting command’s New Aviation Van. This is an 18 wheeler that travels the country for recruiting purposes and contains 2 non motion simulators of the Kiowa Warrior and an Apache Longbow.

Several other Commercial Airlines, General Officers of the United States Army as well as the support of many American Airlines pilots that are proud to have worn the Uniform of the Armed Forces will be attending. We have also invited the participation of The American Airlines Pilot Mentor Program to facilitate their exposure to the opportunities of military flying and it's applicability to the Commercial Airline business. We are still looking to round out our agenda and are excited about the possibility of having speakers from American’s flight department as well as static displays of Rotary Wing aircraft from Bell Helicopter and The United States Army.

This meeting is going to encompass every aspect of the Army Aviation career beginning with your entry into flight school and ending with your transition into the Civilian aviation market.

PRE ARMY:

We are going to have recruiters for the Warrant Officer Flight Program and several university ROTC programs. There will also be other Universities promoting their aviation programs and civilian flight training schools promoting there academies. We have also invited the participation of The American Airlines Pilot Mentor Program to facilitate their exposure to the opportunities of military flying and it’s applicability to the Commercial Airline business. Many of these young folks could really use your perspective and mentoring.

Did you know there are ROTC programs like the one at the University of North Dakota that will completely pay for your school and helicopter ratings and offer you a flight slot in the Army upon successful completion? Also the 200 hundred flight hours you receive in this program will go toward your total time for your master aviator wings.

ACTIVE ARMY:

Chief of Warrant Officer Assignments CW5 Jim Morgan or CW5 Carl Jenkins will be there to answer all of your questions. Find out all you can about assignments, schools, career tracking, promotion and yes stop loss. Find the tools to steer or guide your Army career whether you complete only your initial obligation or you continue to a full retirement.

There will be flight schools such as Pan Am academy who will be offering a transition program for the Army helicopter pilot to the fixed wing community. They have several partner airlines that they work with directly for future employment opportunities. There will be additional schools there to answer your questions about fixed wing training and ratings.

If you have not completed college we will have several universities there to discuss their degree completion programs.

POST ARMY:

If you are curious about the guard and reserve there will be several pilots to answer your questions about how to get in, how to get out, aircraft, pay, schools, flying, commitment, promotion, deployment, etc.
Maybe make the contacts you need to get that guard or reserve slot.
Freeze Owner of Arrow Films (Currently producing and directing the Huey documentary, In The Shadow Of The Blade and will be filming at the DFW APTAP meeting)

WHAT WE WANT TO SEE FROM YOU
Current Airline Pilots who have benefited from this website to attend and offer support and mentorship to their fellow soldiers and aspiring airline pilots. Those of you with extra buddy passes, offer them up to some of your friends. Contact Gabe and get on the website and post that you will be trying to attend or you will be attending the meeting. We want to see some serious activity on the message board. Those current active duty pilots we want to see the same thing from you. I know there is a stop loss but now is the time you should be preparing and networking because when the flood gates open up you are the first one through. I wished I would have known this sooner I would probably be 2000 numbers senior. Let me put that in a term you all understand. Those 2000 seniority numbers will probably cost me over a million dollars through out my career.

SO, AS YOU CAN SEE, THIS WILL BE A TERRIFIC GET TOGETHER FOR PROSPECTIVE MILITARY AVIATORS OR TRANSITIONING MILITARY TO CIVILIAN AVIATORS. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE POST ON THIS THREAD AND I WILL TRY TO ANSWER THEM ALL. THANK YOU.

Latest resources

Back