Army cancells Comanche

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not Ready For Prime Time

I'm not sorry to see it go. It was originally designed for aerial recon but has been eclipsed by UAV technolgy. Probably only a matter of time before either the F-22, JSF, and Osprey gets severely cut or cancelled as well as they continue to bloat also.

With UAV technology growing exponentially compared to manned systems, I wonder how long it will be before we see the first Part 121 UAV? Would you get in it? I would before I'd ever set foot in a V-22.

Re: Not Ready For Prime Time

Birdstrike said:
I would before I'd ever set foot in a V-22.

Yeah, sure looks like they haven't got all the kinks worked out of the good ol' Osprey yet, have they?

The Osprey is just like any new technology, they have to work out the kinks. I would like to know the accident rate of the ch-46/47 when they first came out back in the day....I'm sure it was pretty high!

getonit said:
That is what is wrong with the military. I saw an article that said they started development in 1983 and was expected to be online in 2006. A mere 23 years to develop a new weapons system!!!Ridiculous. Anybody who says the military needs more money is full of scheise.

This is what happens with multiple administrations and changing priorities. Also, many of the weapons systems are simply jobs programs. Witness the V-22 Osprey (which is piece of junk that also needs to be killed) has parts built in 47 different states. No congressman wants to lose jobs in his district.

However, the miltary does need more money because there was very limited procurement during the Clinton years. If you really want to save money, cut back on the d@mn entitlement programs.

46driver,
let me start off by saying I am not a liberal tree hugging pacifist. I am a right leaning fiscal conservative, which is not what we have in the White House right now. I am in the highest tax bracket for single people, for reasons not related to being a pilot, obviously.

I still stand by my statement that the military spends too much money and when it is spent, it is spent on local projects/systems/policies that do nothing for our national security. Have you ever heard a local politician say how critical a military base is when they are trying to close it in his district? V22 are costing 80 mil apiece, F22's are 100 mil apiece, B2's were what $2 billion? We spend more money than the next 25 countries combined to fight what threat? No other country in the world can even think about competing with us, with our existing equipment, ie F-15, apaches, etc. 9/11 probably cost the towelheads a million dollars maybe? I have been to too many base ops, which are brand new and only supporting 2-3 missions a day.

And I agree that entitlements are too much but unfortunately the more goverment spends the more important they think they are. It is a vicious circle and most of those programs can't be cut anyway, and most politicians don't have the balls to really do anything.

Agreed, lads. The brass have done a masterful of spreading out the bases, shipyards, contractors across nearly every Congressional district, and especially those with committee chairmen, a strategy first deployed by either John Warner or John Lehman as Navy Secretary.

Tieing jobs in the district to Defense procurement was the best way to ensure these projects were nearly impossible to kill off. Kudos to Rumsfeld for having the balls to kill off Crusader and Comanche.

Hey, a few years ago, the guys at the Lockheed Skunk Works tested a stealth cruise missile platform for the Navy that could sneak into enemy waters virtually undetected. The only problem was it only needed a crew of twelve. Cruiser and battleship commanders threw a fit and got the project killed. Where's the prestige in commanding a tugboat of twelve???

Geez, why do you need a battleship command of 300 and a whole frickin' battle group just to lob cruise missiles from offshore? How absurd...Meanwhile grunts continue to have to put up with lousy pay, substandard housing and god knows what else.

Meanwhile grunts continue to have to put up with lousy pay, substandard housing and god knows what else.
Hey ... if it weren't so, we grunts would have nothing to complain about, and as you know, Grunts, just like pilots, aren't happy unless we're bitching.

:D

Minh

In theory couldnt you just launch cruise missiles from transport planes? Or a barge anyway? I remember that early cruise missiles were launched from B52's.

urflyingme?! said:
In theory couldnt you just launch cruise missiles from transport planes?

The military floated an idea to do just that 10-15 years ago. They wanted to develop a 747 cruise missile carrier. It was going to fire the missiles from a side-mounted door, using the rotary launchers from the B-1, and it would be able to carry far more missiles than any bomber. They decided against the project because the plane would have been so vulnerable.

They're talking about taking the off-the-shelf approach for Homeland Security right now. I've heard the DHS wants to field a domestic squadron of Learjets that are equipped with fire control radar and AMRAAM missiles. Cost = peanuts.

Latest resources

Back