Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Resume Writer said:
Lucky,

My mother was a Pilot for them in the early 1980s. She mainly flew the King Air and Cessna aircraft for speed detail. I do not remember them having helicopters - but then again that was more than 20 years ago! :)

Kathy--Your mom flew for DPS? Did she know a guy named Dave Mundy? I flew with him at StatesWest in '87. He had just left DPS to go there. He's now at AWA.

Take care.Tim C.

Resume Writer said:
One more hint - you need to detail your experience in your resume and/or cover letter for the areas that they detail in the job posting.

When the State hires, the initial screening process happens in HR. They literally take the stack of resumes and the job posting and see if your experience matches their list. If it does, you go in the "qualified" pile. If they cannot discern whether you have that experience and/or requirements, you go into the "not qualified" pile.

From there, all the resumes are then placed in a file to be reviewed by the department that is hiring. Now, the more detailed and better formatted resume will typically get the interview - as they usually only take about 5-10 people out of the stack for the initial interview.

Make sure you address their issues and you will likely rise to the top of the stack!

Thank you, Kathy. I must of did something right, because they called me for an interview. Now, what that will consist of , I don't know. I asked, and they told me NOT to bring my logbooks. I've never had an interview where logsbooks were not reviewed?
For any one else reading, do you know if they'll send you to get rotor qualified? I doubt it, from what I've read. I live in Louisiana, and I know our DPS does dual qualify everyone.

Lucky Strike said:
Thank you, Kathy. I must of did something right, because they called me for an interview. Now, what that will consist of , I don't know. I asked, and they told me NOT to bring my logbooks. I've never had an interview where logsbooks were not reviewed?

There could be a few reasons for that. First, from your profile, it looks like you have been flying for a long time, so maybe they have determined you have the qualifications.

Second, and what I believe is the real reason, is that you will probably be having a Panel Interview. That is very common in government positions - which this is, as you will be working for the State of Arizona.

In these panel interviews, generally there are anywhere from 2-6 people. It will most likely consist of a person from HR, the Chief Pilot, and then some other people who will not have a direct relation to the flight department - but are likely people who are friends with the Chief Pilot. There might be someone from the Arizona Department of Transportation. Who knows! :)

The first interview might also be with just a person from HR, but I highly doubt that.

If you pass this interview, you will probably have an interview with the Chief Pilot and perhaps another pilot from the department.

I might be wrong on all of this - but this is what the typical process is for State jobs.

Good luck!

Last I heard it was a sworn position....ie: you get to carry a gun!

Eric

flyinlow67 said:
Is this a sworn position, or civilian?

It is civilian or sworn. Pro's and con's for both. Pay is the same. Retirement is not. Not many sworn folks meet the King Air quals ... ATP w/2000 PIC , 500 multi PIC.

Must have posted about the same time.

It's listed as a civilian position. But says something to the effect of "if qualified.." you may exercise those priveleges as a gun toter.

Luckystrike: When did you send in the app, and when did they call for the interview?

Last edited:
PHX767 said:
Must have posted about the same time.

It's listed as a civilian position. But says something to the effect of "if qualified.." you may exercise those priveleges as a gun toter.

Luckystrike: When did you send in the app, and when did they call for the interview?

I applied when the position was first posted some time ago...approximately 4-5 months ago I think. I'd given up on it actually. They sent me a letter about 5 days ago for the invite.

Lucky,

Thanks for the info.

I applied for the position just a few weeks ago. If it doesn't work out for you, tell them to call me! :)

PHX767 said:
Lucky,

Thanks for the info.

I applied for the position just a few weeks ago. If it doesn't work out for you, tell them to call me! :)

OK...I called today and talked to somone in HR trying to find out if your fixed wing, if they would qualify you in rotors, or vice-versa. He didn't know, so I guess I'll have to ask in the interview.

I think it's probably a good, stable gig...but I don't know if it's worth it for me to go fly King Air's again for the rest of my career. I'd do it in a heart-beat if they'd send me to get rotor qualified.

I guess I'll find out.

Latest resources

Back