Arizona DPS Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lucky Strike said:
OK...I called today and talked to somone in HR trying to find out if your fixed wing, if they would qualify you in rotors, or vice-versa. He didn't know, so I guess I'll have to ask in the interview.

I think it's probably a good, stable gig...but I don't know if it's worth it for me to go fly King Air's again for the rest of my career. I'd do it in a heart-beat if they'd send me to get rotor qualified.

I guess I'll find out.

DPS will absolutely NOT train you to become a helicopter pilot. You are either a fixed wing pilot (flying King Air's and single engine Cessna's [on law enforcement missions]) or a rotary wing pilot flying 407's.

If you want to be trained by somone to fly a helicopter, join the military. You will be dissapointed if you are hired by DPS as a fixed wing pilot, expecting anything else.

I applied 4 months ago...got the letter of disapproval...said I didn't meet their qualifications. Musta been something I ate as my time was more than enough for their mins.

Good luck and let us know how the interview goes!

Eric

bentpilot said:
DPS will absolutely NOT train you to become a helicopter pilot. You are either a fixed wing pilot (flying King Air's and single engine Cessna's [on law enforcement missions]) or a rotary wing pilot flying 407's.

And you 'absolutely' know this HOW? I feel you are correct, but back up your statement...otherwise, I'll verify in interview.

If you want to be trained by somone to fly a helicopter, join the military.

Already did the military thing.

You will be dissapointed if you are hired by DPS as a fixed wing pilot, expecting anything else.

I won't be expecting anything I don't already know as fact...I'm not that naive.

Lostdog65 said:
I applied 4 months ago...got the letter of disapproval...said I didn't meet their qualifications. Musta been something I ate as my time was more than enough for their mins.

Good luck and let us know how the interview goes!

Eric

After a few months of not hearing anything, I called them and the lady I talked to was very nice. She said she knew they were looking for guys with at least 1500 hrs in King Airs. I barely met those mins, though I had lots of other turbine time.

For those involved in this discussion...here's the scoop. I was interviewed by 3 pilots...2 fixed wing, and 1 rotor. They asked several technical questions which were all based on Part 91 ops. It is my understanding that all applicants were graded on these same questions. At the end, you were given an opportunity to expound on your experience and were graded on this also. The interviewers did not have your application to review. After the interview, I was informed by the HR guy that I had passed the interview portion and was invited for the flt eval the next day. I expected this much, but was surprised when he told me that they had over 2000 applications for this position...out of these, about 12 were invited for the interview portion over a 2 day period. Out of these, only 2 were selected for the flt eval...me and another guy. I was not expecting this.

During the interview, I was allowed to ask questions. Of course, as I stated earlier, my main question was whether the pilots were dual qualified. The answer, as I expected and was told by someone on this forum, was 'No'. The two divisions are totally separate. As a matter of fact, I had the opportunity to talk to one of the rotor guys at the flt eval, and he desired to move over to the fixed-wing side, but was not allowed. Also, the position does not require you to be a sworn officer. It used to be required, but not anymore for the fixed-wing guys. The rotor guys are required to be sworn. Anyway, after learning this, my mind was made to not take the position...it just wasn't the right situation for me. With the cut in pay I'd have to take , plus the outrageous housing prices in PHX...I couldn't justify it.

Everyone I met was very professional, and it looked like a first class operation. For someone already established in PHX, it would be a great job. Whoever gets the position will be getting a great job.

Lucky Strike said:
Everyone I met was very professional, and it looked like a first class operation. For someone already established in PHX, it would be a great job. Whoever gets the position will be getting a great job.

Thanks for the report, Lucky Strike.

I applied about a month ago, and last week I got a packet in the mail to expand on my flying experience and flight times.

I only have about 400 hrs in the King Air 200, with another 2000 hrs or so in the BE1900. If they are looking specifically for 200 time I will not be very competitive. If they consider a B1900 a big King Air...

Were the previous posts accurate re: pay, schedule, benefits, etc?

Also, did you do the flight eval, or hear what it was like?

Appreciate the good intel - this job sounds like a gem.

Last edited:
PHX767 said:
Thanks for the report, Lucky Strike.

I applied about a month ago, and last week I got a packet in the mail to expand on my flying experience and flight times.

I only have about 400 hrs in the King Air 200, with another 2000 hrs or so in the BE1900. If they are looking specifically for 200 time I will not be very competitive. If they consider a B1900 a big King Air...

I think they would consider your B1900 time...when I told them I'd also flown the B1900 and BE99, they nodded approvingly.

Were the previous posts accurate re: pay, schedule, benefits, etc?

Yes...you also get a take-home car as a fixed-wing guy...rotor guys , no. I was told this is because the fixed wing guys are on call more so. They have King Air 200 & E90, C210, and C182. Plans are to replace B200 with B350, and C210/182 with Caravan and C206. These are not firm plans, but hopes.

Also, did you do the flight eval, or hear what it was like?

Flt eval was standard inst/multi stuff. I told him it'd been about 15 yrs since I'd last flown a King Air, and he understood...really cool about it. Talked me thru the start up. Took off and went under the hood. Did some air work to get the feel back then simulated engine failure. Simulated securing engine and said I'd run the engine securing checklist. Went to some po-dunk airport around there and shot a single engine ILS to a miss. Then returned to PHX and got in line with everyone else to a normal ILS to full stop. No brainer in any airplane really. They realize they going to have to send you to FlightSafety anyway.

Appreciate the good intel - this job sounds like a gem.

aaaaa

Thanks again Lucky Strike!

I appreciate the intel. I hope they will call me in soon.

One last thing: Did they say how many fixed wing pilots they are hiring?

PHX767 said:
Thanks again Lucky Strike!

I appreciate the intel. I hope they will call me in soon.

One last thing: Did they say how many fixed wing pilots they are hiring?

Only one position for now. If you make the cut, but are not hired, you'll be put in a pool for 18 months for any future hiring.

Lucky Strike...

Thanks for the info...it was the King Air time that must have killed me...plenty of turbine but not enough KA time.

Sounds like a great job and I probably would have taken it if offered...just me tho...

Good luck in the great job search!

Eric

Latest resources

Back