• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Area 51...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been able to look right down on it when going from STL to SFO. The restricted areas must be south. Nothing to see other than a 10,000' runway surrounded by empty ramps and closed hangars.TC

AA717driver said:
Nothing to see other than a 10,000' runway surrounded by empty ramps and closed hangars.TC
That's not true. Wonder Woman's invisible jet is parked there.

You just can't see it.

117.5 works asked ATC the VOR I was picking up 80 miles away that I couldn't find on the chart. They replied that I was picking up an NDB. I didn't ask futher questions...

414Flyer said:
I really doubt you flew over the top of it. I think you can occasionally see it from an airliner depending how close to the airspace they can get. It might be possible to fly over Tonapah in an airliner if the range is cold, and that was a classified location for a while.

Used to be MCY, 117.5 Dont know if it still is.

You can see it 50 miles off your wing over Beatty VOR on J-92 at or above FL350. I use to pass by it twice a day ( very early AM and late PM) 5 days a week for years. I would point it out to the occational pax on board the airplane and ask if they saw it. They'd say "yes" and I'd say "it's a mirage because it didn't exist."

Military pilots who cut the corner of the "box" have been known to be met by people who debriefed them for hours, maybe even days, rumor has it. We would leave PHX and ABQ Ctr would clear us direct RNO. Of course, we knew as soon as we contacted LA Ctr, we'd get a reroute over BTY.

Flying over BTY in the early evening before the sun fully sets offers another interesting site, that of all the indentations around Yucca Flats where they did all those underground nuclear tests. The pock marks show up really good in the right angle of light.

Last edited:
AA717driver said:
I've been able to look right down on it when going from STL to SFO. The restricted areas must be south. Nothing to see other than a 10,000' runway surrounded by empty ramps and closed hangars.TC

The runway extends out into the middle of the lake and I think it is some 29,000 feet long or more, when all the available length is taken into account. I saw it from over BTY at FL410 one night with all the runway lights on and that is one long runway.

CorpLearDriver said:
The runway extends out into the middle of the lake and I think it is some 29,000 feet long or more, when all the available length is taken into account. I saw it from over BTY at FL410 one night with all the runway lights on and that is one long runway.

Any second segment problems with that runway?:rolleyes:

I used to fly with an air force guy that flew B-1's for over 20 years. He said they don't even let military aircraft fly near it without clearance and they will shoot to kill if you enter it. wow. shoot our own military?

Looking at the Google Earth image the runway that extends into Groom Lake has some X's on it. It is a pretty interesting image.

The really long runway there has been closed for some time. I believe they built a new shorter runway, and some new taxiways.

When they have international exercises, the whole box around that base is closed off to all pilots. Sometimes when its just an exercise with just US pilots, the airspace around there will be a bit more open for them.

Latest resources

Back