Area 51...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cosmotheassman

Is there an identifier for the groom lake outfit? or any VOR's on the field? I've been told there was a VOR(117.5???) or an NDB "PYD" pyramid?? I hear the ol Janet planes being cleared to pyramid.

We flew right over the top of groom lake at about 3AM one night(based on my estimates). Only could see few lights etc.. I thought this area was forbidden to fly over or is that only daytime?

Is there an identifier? Yes, but you don't have the clearance to know it.
Any VOR's on the field? Sure! Published? No way.
Thanks for admitting to flying over the other day. We'll send "the coats" over to visit you.
You sure you were over the right lake? I'd be surprised if you didn't have folks yelling at you on 121.5.

I really doubt you flew over the top of it. I think you can occasionally see it from an airliner depending how close to the airspace they can get. It might be possible to fly over Tonapah in an airliner if the range is cold, and that was a classified location for a while.

Used to be MCY, 117.5 Dont know if it still is.

cosmotheassman said:
Is there an identifier for the groom lake outfit? or any VOR's on the field? I've been told there was a VOR(117.5???) or an NDB "PYD" pyramid?? I hear the ol Janet planes being cleared to pyramid.

We flew right over the top of groom lake at about 3AM one night(based on my estimates). Only could see few lights etc.. I thought this area was forbidden to fly over or is that only daytime?

Did you see any ufo's?

When I used to fly air-ambulence we would get cleared alot closer to it in the middle of the night than in the day but NEVER over Groom Lake.

Sheesh! Just turn your transponder off and fly over it all you want!

Oh, and lemme know how that goes.... :)

I'm fairly sure the lights I was seeing was groom lake, based on our position from OAL etc... I mean 3AM on a Sunday night, we were the only peeps out there and, may have been a little off course :) ....

who cares

who gives a rats a** about super secret flights over Groom Lake

daytime shots are on Google Earth for all to see, from your favorite chair

zoom in on the hangars and count the Blackhawks parked on the ramp

Groom Lake indentifier: KBUM (kaboom)
Groom lake intersection: URDED
Groom Lake NDB: OOPs
Groom Lake VOR: CYA

If you see any of these in your FMS, check six!! HEE HEE

cosmotheassman said:

on a clear day you can see it while on the airway headed south from the Beatty VOR. Best time of day is AM right after sunrise as the buildings are reflecting the sun. Worst time is in the late afternoon sun as a ridgeline next to the lake casts a shadow on the buildings and runway and its almost impossible to see. Flew past it and all over the Southwest desert plenty of times but never seen any UFOs.

One night we heard some "F-16's" on center come up out of the Groom Lake restricted area and get cleared to cross behind us. They came up on or "6" indeed (greater than 5 miles) and checked us out (TCAS) before flying off.

Latest resources

Back