Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are You An Asa Pilot Or A Ramp Instructor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course SWA and Frontier have both done "A Day In My Shoes" type programs and have a far better "teamwork" attitude than a lot of othe airlines out there.

Personally, I think pilots should have to work a day or two on the ramp, a day or two in the cabin, and a day or two doing Customer Service things to see what else happens first hand. I think that those groups should get involved or (to the extent possible) or observe duties that other co-workers have to do (while not having to do their own duties) to learn the "other sides."

Maybe, just maybe, if we could get the elitist "I'm flight crew. I'm better and more important than you" chip off our shoulders and realize that we ARE NOT the glue that holds the fabric together, we might start getting somewhere.

The other day, the skipper and I had all our stuff done. The inflight crew was all buckled up in the back, the tug driver and the bag guys were all done. Ya' know what? We couldn't go anywhere. Why? Because the jetway was frozen (it was -18°) and wouldn't go in gear. Even if it wasn't faulty, we still would have NEEDED that jetway driver in order to make the operation run. In fact, we NEEDED the facilities mechanics who came and fixed the jetway in order to make the operation run.

Well said bro.

4. In regard to your dispatch story, we were better off when we were 135 and controlled all those things ourself. Then you didn't have to worry about calling your dispatcher; either not getting an answer at all, or someone other than your dispatcher answering the phone to inform you the dispatcher has stepped away from the desk! We can do it better--it's our tush sitting in the seat!

Exactly the attitude that will KEEP ASA at "Number 19". I love the God complex some of you guys have...;)

(Note I said SOME...not all.)

Of course SWA and Frontier have both done "A Day In My Shoes" type programs and have a far better "teamwork" attitude than a lot of othe airlines out there.

Personally, I think pilots should have to work a day or two on the ramp, a day or two in the cabin, and a day or two doing Customer Service things to see what else happens first hand. I think that those groups should get involved or (to the extent possible) or observe duties that other co-workers have to do (while not having to do their own duties) to learn the "other sides."

Maybe, just maybe, if we could get the elitist "I'm flight crew. I'm better and more important than you" chip off our shoulders and realize that we ARE NOT the glue that holds the fabric together, we might start getting somewhere.

The other day, the skipper and I had all our stuff done. The inflight crew was all buckled up in the back, the tug driver and the bag guys were all done. Ya' know what? We couldn't go anywhere. Why? Because the jetway was frozen (it was -18°) and wouldn't go in gear. Even if it wasn't faulty, we still would have NEEDED that jetway driver in order to make the operation run. In fact, we NEEDED the facilities mechanics who came and fixed the jetway in order to make the operation run.

Replies to:

Paragraph 1. Team work starts with the Coach or Leadership Team. Southwest and Frontier have a Leadership Team with a proven record. That's why, when they turn and say "Charge!", their people are already half way up the hill!

Paragraph 2. Your opinion has some merit but would not solve the root problem. However, it certainly would be beneficial to those whose first real job was sitting in a flight deck, and we have plenty of those. Most pilots simply want the support and resources to do our jobs safely and properly. And yes, that means to accomplish that goal, involves depending on others to provide those resources and support.

Paragraph 3. Most people I fly with don't have a chip on their shoulder or possess an elitist attitude. That must be another airline. But, we do expect that the same standards that we have to conform to in performing our job, should be applied to the other work groups.

Paragraph 4. You left out the ATC controllers who have to give you a clearance and maintain your separation. You left out the passengers who buy the tickets, that make it possible for us to live the dream. You left out our Mommas who brought us into this world and raised us to be the fine people that we are today. You left out the Pappas who had a major part in us getting here too, and then providing for us. It goes on and on! You could even include the airport employee who cuts the grass around the taxi way signs and the one who changes the bulbs in the burned out lights along the runway. Pilots as well as Pilot haters, do not live by bread alone!

Exactly the attitude that will KEEP ASA at "Number 19". I love the God complex some of you guys have...;)

(Note I said SOME...not all.)

First, I can assure you a few things! No pilot wants to be anything other than #1 at anything he/she does! At least that's my observation. We aren't perfect, but we will strive for perfection, even when conditions are not ideal! You can call that elitist or anything you want, but that is the normal profile of most pilots I know! There are many things I cannot control--being number 19 is one of them! Give us a Management team that gives us the tools and processes to do our jobs better, and I can guarantee we will not be 19!

Maybe you should close out the internet on your ASD monitor and get back to flight following! :)

Last edited:
1. Spend the money and give them proper training, and retraining, and they could do the job for which they were hired. Instead of the flight deck, they could stand in the Concourse window, at any given time, and learn everything they needed to know about the operation.
"

Send them over to AirTran or DAL to observe. A world of difference. Better yet, let our folks work Freedom, CMR and SKYW and give us those Delta rampers! :)

Release Us Mr MediatorMan!

hmm. 8 yrs. ASA, 4.5 yrs. NWA, 3 yrs. Valujet/Airtran, 2 yrs. corp., 11 yrs. Coca-Cola...been there, done all that you're not as awesome as you think.

You went from Coke to corporate to Valujet to NWA to ASA? Your resume seems to be going BACKWARDS, SPORT! :laugh:

I heard there's a story about you on the bathroom wall. Something about you and a male FA on an overnight...

Latest resources

Back