Are you a cocky pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B
If you are okay with doing something that would take a one-in-a-million type situation to kill you, consider that Expressjet flies almost a million flights per year.

Expressjet flies 2,700 flights per day? Over 100 flights per hour, every hour?

Guess you don t read the paper in flight?
That's not what I'm talking about, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

I'm talking about guys who, if the FAA or a standards guy happened to be their incognito captain (so they didn't know they were being checked), would be immediately thrown off the line and back into training. Guys who, if left unchecked, could possibly turn into Mr. "410 dude." Guys who intentionally shortcut or omit procedure because it's too much trouble or something just doesn't seem necessary to them. Guys who don't even KNOW certain limitations or requirements, let alone why they exist. Guys you wouldn't want to put your wives, mothers, or daughters in their "capable" hands.

I'm talking about guys who, if the FAA or a standards guy happened to be their incognito captain (so they didn't know they were being checked), would be immediately thrown off the line and back into training. Guys who, if left unchecked, could possibly turn into Mr. "410 dude." Guys who intentionally shortcut or omit procedure because it's too much trouble or something just doesn't seem necessary to them. Guys who don't even KNOW certain limitations or requirements, let alone why they exist. Guys you wouldn't want to put your wives, mothers, or daughters in their "capable" hands.

I don't see how people like this get past PCs.

But then again I would be fine with a release brief that went like, "don't wreck it, any questions." Then the silent game.

Could be, if you're referring to FO's, that you are over controlling and a micro-manager so they think you've obviously "got this $ht" alllll under control, so they check-out and shutdown. Just a thought cowboy.

Could be, if you're referring to FO's, that you are over controlling and a micro-manager so they think you've obviously "got this $ht" alllll under control, so they check-out and shutdown. Just a thought cowboy.
I really try to be friendly, I have a very relaxed atmosphere in the cockpit, and beyond my initial brief about how I try to do things right, I just about never say anything about their flying, unless to offer a slight friendly suggestion if I see an extreme undesired state developing.

If that sort of atmosphere is too much for Mrtoocoolforschool to handle, and they are so immature that they "check out and shutdown" (meaning they don't bother to do a damn thing correctly), then they need to get the hell out of the cockpit before they hurt someone I care about.

I really try to be friendly, I have a very relaxed atmosphere in the cockpit, and beyond my initial brief about how I try to do things right, I just about never say anything about their flying, unless to offer a slight friendly suggestion if I see an extreme undesired state developing.

If that sort of atmosphere is too much for Mrtoocoolforschool to handle, and they are so immature that they "check out and shutdown" (meaning they don't bother to do a damn thing correctly), then they need to get the hell out of the cockpit before they hurt someone I care about.

^^^ "I'm laid back but standard"! LOLZ!!!

Best brief ever: "All I care about is the 1st and the 15th."

Latest resources

Back