Are runway lights mandatory at night?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Duke of Ale

I have tried to find the answer in the regs but haven't yet.
At a non-towered airport where you key the mic to turn on the runway lights that procedure turned on only one of the two runway's lights. (not counting both direction of same piece of cement). I was not sure I could land on the runway where the lights did not come on (my preferred choice) so I landed on the other runway. My question is could I have legally landed on the runway that the lights did not turn on? It was a well lit moonlight night and I could see the unlit runway very well.

Part 91 contains no requirements for having a lit runway at night. (probably why you couldn't find them ;))

Fly safe!

David

Aww, one of my favorite 135 regs. Flare pots or lanterns anyone?

§ 135.229 Airport requirements.
(a) No certificate holder may use any airport unless it is adequate for the proposed operation, considering such items as size, surface, obstructions, and lighting.
(b) No pilot of an aircraft carrying passengers at night may takeoff from, or land on, an airport unless -
(1) That pilot has determined the wind direction from an illuminated wind direction indicator or local ground communications or, in the case of takeoff, that pilot's personal observations; and
(2) The limits of the area to be used for landing or takeoff are clearly shown -
(i) For airplanes, by boundary or runway marker lights;
(ii) For helicopters, by boundary or runway marker lights or reflective material.
(c) For the purpose of paragraph (b) of this section, if the area to be used for takeoff or landing is marked by flare pots or lanterns, their use must be approved by the Administrator.

(c) For the purpose of paragraph (b) of this section, if the area to be used for takeoff or landing is marked by flare pots or lanterns, their use must be approved by the Administrator.

Suddenly I am getting this mental picture of a DC-3 landing on a grass strip at night marked by a bunch of small pot fires...

Suddenly I am getting this mental picture of a DC-3 landing on a grass strip at night marked by a bunch of small pot fires...

That would be the little publicized "Part 4:20" flying.

I've seen a CFI request the lights be turned off so the student could land withouth them. After verifying with the CFI several times the tower turned off the lights.

I didn't think it was the best idea.

I've seen a CFI request the lights be turned off so the student could land withouth them. After verifying with the CFI several times the tower turned off the lights.

I didn't think it was the best idea.

Curiosity is the cure for boredom.....

Curiosity killed the cat.......

Latest resources

Back