• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are runway lights mandatory at night?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a CFI, I would leave the landing light off to help students judge their altitude without fixating on the landing light, but never the runway lights.

The lights at my airport turned off at 1am automatically. Night cross countries lasted longer than that, and many times I landed without runway lights.

The lights at my airport turned off at 1am automatically. Night cross countries lasted longer than that, and many times I landed without runway lights.

I hope you were teaching part 61, if not you were in violation of part 141.

§ 141.38 Airports.
(a) An applicant for a pilot school certificate or a provisional pilot school certificate must show that he or she has continuous use of each airport at which training flights originate.
(b) Each airport used for airplanes and gliders must have at least one runway or takeoff area that allows training aircraft to make a normal takeoff or landing under the following conditions at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff gross weight:
(1) Under wind conditions of not more than 5 miles per hour;
(2) At temperatures in the operating area equal to the mean high temperature for the hottest month of the year;
(3) If applicable, with the powerplant operation, and landing gear and flap operation recommended by the manufacturer; and
(4) In the case of a takeoff -
(i) With smooth transition from liftoff to the best rate of climb speed without exceptional piloting skills or techniques; and
(ii) Clearing all obstacles in the takeoff flight path by at least 50 feet.
(c) Each airport must have a wind direction indicator that is visible from the end of each runway at ground level;
(d) Each airport must have a traffic direction indicator when:
(1) The airport does not have an operating control tower; and
(2) UNICOM advisories are not available.
(e) Except as provided in paragraph (f) of this section, each airport used for night training flights must have permanent runway lights;
(f) An airport or seaplane base used for night training flights in seaplanes is permitted to use adequate nonpermanent lighting or shoreline lighting, if approved by the Administrator.

I have to throw the ol' 91.3 and 91.13 card out there as well as some examples of where landing without runway edge lighting has gotten people is trouble before. There are more accidents in the NTSB achieves than one might think.

§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.
(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.
(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b) of this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a written report of that deviation to the Administrator.

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.
(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft, other than for the purpose of air navigation, on any part of the surface of an airport used by aircraft for air commerce (including areas used by those aircraft for receiving or discharging persons or cargo), in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

NTSB Identification: CHI07CA025.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, November 16, 2006 in Ankeny, IA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 2/26/2007
Aircraft: Cessna 172G, registration: N1374F
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.The airplane was substantially damaged when it encountered a ditch after over running the runway pavement during a night landing. The pilot reported that the runway lights did not come on when she attempted to activate them via the airplane radio prior to landing. She attempted to activate them a total of 3 times. She subsequently overflew the airport in order to identify the runway. She stated that she "flew downwind to where [she] estimated the end of the runway would be [and] turned to final." She noted that she flew over the runway "low" to see the centerline and decided to land. She then realized that the airplane had touched down "well down [the] runway." She was unable to stop before the end of the pavement and the airplane rolled into the grass. She stated that as the airplane slowed she attempted to turn back; however, she encountered a drainage ditch causing the nose landing gear to collapse and damaging the firewall. The pilot reported that after the accident she realized that the radio was set to the incorrect frequency. The radio was set to 120.9 instead of the correct Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) for the destination airport of 122.9. The airport manager reported that the runway lights functioned properly when activated after the accident. He also noted that the lights are normally off until activated by a pilot via the CTAF.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's improper decision to land on an unlighted runway at night, and her resulting failure to attain a proper touchdown point leading to the landing over run. Contributing factors were the night (low light) condition and the ditch encountered during the overrun.

NTSB Identification: BFO94LA050 .
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, February 24, 1994 in CLEVELAND, OH
Probable Cause Approval Date: 4/12/1995
Aircraft: BEECH 400, registration: N8279G
Injuries: 6 Uninjured.During the approach, the copilot attempted to turn on the runway lights by keying his microphone, but could not get the lights to activate. They further reported that they continued the approach and had the VASI lights in sight. The runway did not have VASI lights. About one minute before touchdown, the copilot said he did know where the runway was, but for the pilot '...to hold what he had.' About 45 seconds before touchdown the pilot said he had the '...runway now.' The copilot said he had the runway in sight also. They continued the approach until the airplane collided with terrain between the runway and a taxiway. The runway lights did not activate. Examination revealed that none of the communications radios were tuned to the proper frequency to activate the lights.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilots failure to use the proper radio frequency to activate the airport runway lights, and the pilot's improper decision to continue his approach and land without the runway lights being on.

Last edited:
Correction...the first time was with my instructor...part 61. I'm glad I got that experience...but I dont go out of my way to land without lights. Especially 8A6.

I guess in the part 61/91 world you really don't get in trouble until something happens. I know it probably only happened a handful of times, but I seriously doubt I would have done it. I consider a runway without Runway Edge Lights unusable at night. You did it and obviously didn't ding the plane, but I think the risk factor is simply to high for me to feel comfortable doing it. Bottom line is that its your airplane and your well being. In the part 91 world I guess thats all that matters. I bet it was a adrenaline rush the first time you did that alone hu?

Very much an adrenaline rush, much like most of the times pilots try something new...flying a new aircraft, a new approach, IMC etc.

Local knowledge is definitely required. I had the luxury of growing up around the area for 18 years before this, so I could identify the surrounding area pretty reliably.

Even so, one time I was not comfortable with the approach and went around. I didnt know where I was, or where exactly the runway was, even after overflying it...crossed the comfort line and went around. Turns out I was set up to touch down halfway down a 2800 foot runway...probably doable in a 140, but not smart. Next approach was fine, so I chalk that experience up to...well, experience for the next time I cross the comfort zone.

Most things are safe as long as certain limits are set and adhered to.

For most if not all 135 ops, the company's OPS manual will mandate lights on the runway. The FAA will most likely not allow anyone operating a fixed wing aircraft to land without lights. If you fly helos, and are approved for NVGs, then you are likely to be allowed to land without lights.

It is amazing, however, what you can see if you truly allow your night vision to adapt...I flew a couple of nights with the local DNR pilot a few...er, well, more than a few...years ago looking for poachers. We turned all of the interior lights WAAAAY down in the airplane, and after a few hours it was almost like flying in daylight.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back