• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are GPS systems allowed on in carryons?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually cell phones were banned on airplanes in flight not because of the FAA but because of the FCC. If you could remember back to the 80's and early 90's you will remember the old analog phones. Well the billing was more dependent on your physical location. The FCC and cell phone companies ended having people who were in airplanes making phones calls that would skip towers. Some people would be charge long distance while other who should be charged for long distance were not. Well you can see the problem with the only industry that has worse customer service than airlines.

Secondly, I know Midwest Airlines will allow GPS to be used inflight between the 10's.

For the Non Believers

Tell ya what. In some planes cell phones do mess with the electronics. I have asked passengers to take their phones out of their purses and answer them, then turn them off. How in the world did I know their phone was ringing from behind a closed cockpit door? Because it caused distortion on both left side EFIS displays. This has happened in two different airframes.

Electrons can do weird things. I would guess that the more "electric" your plane is, the higher the probability of trouble with interference. Be safe.

I was on a Delta flight about 3 weeks ago with a Garmin handheld, and the when I was holding it up to the window the FA asked if it was a GPS, and I said yes, and she said it was ok to use. I used it from pushback till we blocked in. everything worked great. I only lost the signal once or twice, but got it back within a few min. I was on a 767.

I use my Garmin 295 on all flights, if the FA tells me to shut it off I do but never understood why. It's an aviation GPS for gods sake! I think it's out of ignorance, I don't ask anymore, I just keep it on under a book next to the window. I really don't care what the airline policy is, I'll use it anyway.

Re: Trip was GREAT

DenverDude2002 said:
I hate the TrAAin. could be be any crappier?

DFW sucked as always.
Thread creep alert!

What is the deal with the people that sit on the luggage rack on the TrAAin?

For those of you who have never had the pleAAsure of riding it....

The two sliding doors are located on the side-center of the car. Right across from the doors is a carpeted luggage rack, with a red placard that says "LUGGAGE RACK" right on it. You are supposed to walk in, drop your bag, and walk to one end of the train or the other and sit on the PADDED SEATS.

What happens, is the first 3 or 4 people get on the TrAAin, sit on the luggage rack, put their bags at their feet in front of them, effectively blocking the entrance for all further passengers.

AGGGGGGHHHHH!

LAXSaabdude.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back