• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are GPS systems allowed on in carryons?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I need it with me since she doesnt know where the hotel is and since at dia they still hand snoop through everyones bags, I dont trust them to not take it. It cost me over 350 bucks, and I'd feel safer with it on me.

question:
I know a few people who use a handheld GPS in addition to their panel-mounts, neither interferring with the other. I'm curious, how could a hand-held GPS interfere with an airliner's GPS?

Personal Electronic devices, including cell phones, GPS units, CD players, and a variety of other devices, have been responsible for interference hundreds of times. This interference has ranged from communication to control interference, to nav signal interference.

Most folks who have never experienced it dismiss the idea. Those who have, don't.

DenverDude2002 said:
my gf is new down there (we actualy met online a long time ago and I'm going to see her for the first time)

She's your girlfriend and you haven't even met her yet?

Add 30 lbs to the photo.

Good luck.

Cell phones and GPS do nothing as far as interference. They should be allowed on all flights. I always leave mine on in flight...all 4000 hrs or so...and have yet to see anything happen.

Phones were banned after phone companies could not bill people when making calls from above the surface... in short the phones picked up more than one antena at once which meant they could not tell where the phone was making the call from. Thence they didn't know whether to charge local charges, long distance charges or even roaming charges. So the phone ban was put in place after much force by the phone companies, it had nothng to do with the airlines and interference.

GPS, well there is no logical reason for banning that one. If it is going to interfere with any systems, it would not only be caused by secondary receivers in the rear, but also by the main receiver atop the a/c.

To answer your question, yes you may carry it in your carry on luggage. I always carry my electronics suite with me because i do not want those "security" people touching my stuff.

starchkr said:
Cell phones and GPS do nothing as far as interference. They should be allowed on all flights.

You are mistaken.

I can't vouch for GPS, but cell phones can and will interfere with navigation equipment. As AVBUG says, when you see it, you will be a believer. I hope for the sake of your passengers, you don't learn the truth the hard way.

I'm not sure who's nuttier, the dude who's "girlfriend" he's never met, or the "captain" who makes up his own rules.

starchkr said:
Cell phones and GPS do nothing as far as interference. They should be allowed on all flights. I always leave mine on in flight...all 4000 hrs or so...and have yet to see anything happen.

I agree with you on typical GPS receiver not being a problem. However, read this about cellphones:

asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report_sets/ped.pdf

(if nothing else, there are some good stories on tossing moronic PAX off flights)

Last edited:
Hugh, I dont see how having a girl friend online is "nutty". I've known her a long time and if she wasnt in texas we would have met a long time ago. Thanks to the internet, webcams, and phones, we've developed a serious relationship. It happens all the time, so I fail to see the humor or nutiness in it.

DenverDude2002 said:
we've developed a serious relationship. It happens all the time, so I fail to see the humor or nutiness in it.

Initial contact happens via the internet all the time. It's a little unusual to cultivate that into a "serious" relationship without actually meeting in person, though. All too often, these sort of meetings have a way of disappointing. Unfortunately, people are sometimes quite deceptive when they have the protection of not being there in person. I hope this doesn't happen to you and that your "girlfriend" turns out to be in person, what you imagine her to be based on the information she has supplied you thus far. I see no humor in this situation either, just as I see no humor in making up one's own rules regarding flying passengers around. Dicey propositions, both of them. I'm sorry for the digression here, your question was about the GPS and I didn't really help answer that. Hope it works out for you.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back