Are GPS systems allowed on in carryons?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
starchkr said:
Cell phones and GPS do nothing as far as interference. They should be allowed on all flights. I always leave mine on in flight...all 4000 hrs or so...and have yet to see anything happen.

Phones were banned after phone companies could not bill people when making calls from above the surface... in short the phones picked up more than one antena at once which meant they could not tell where the phone was making the call from. Thence they didn't know whether to charge local charges, long distance charges or even roaming charges. So the phone ban was put in place after much force by the phone companies, it had nothng to do with the airlines and interference.

GPS, well there is no logical reason for banning that one. If it is going to interfere with any systems, it would not only be caused by secondary receivers in the rear, but also by the main receiver atop the a/c.

To answer your question, yes you may carry it in your carry on luggage. I always carry my electronics suite with me because i do not want those "security" people touching my stuff.

Every AT&T cellphone I've ever been around has interfered with every intercom / comm radio I've been using at the time. Made no difference what type comm system, but the common thread was whatever technology AT&T used. (TDMA?) Most CDMA phones simply don't work over about 1500' AGL. Their towers propagate the signal in a horizontal plane so that no energy is wasted sending signals off into space.

As for GPS interference, some handheld devices are not sheilded very well and the oscillators operate on a harmonic of VHF DME frequencies. I've seen this only a few times in my old Twin Commander with Collins microline equipment. I used to use my Garmin 295 in the ATR cockpit with the antenna in the unheated side window. In the CRJ 700, it's completely useless because it can't acquire a signal through the heated windows.

DenverDude2002 said:
Hugh, I dont see how having a girl friend online is "nutty". I've known her a long time and if she wasnt in texas we would have met a long time ago. Thanks to the internet, webcams, and phones, we've developed a serious relationship. It happens all the time, so I fail to see the humor or nutiness in it.

Good luck, man.
Met my woman the same way, and have been married for four years. Wish I was a pilot back then though....drove 4 days from SEA to ROA many, many times...

As for the GPS, I wanted to use it once on an American flight, but the FA said nothing that pulls an outside signal is allowed; although the Captain did tell me the flight plan.
I didnt know that was just AA, or I would have tried on Delta recently...

Thanks for the encouragement HerrJeremy. We both realize this is a rare and special thing thats happened between us, so hopefully it all goes well :D . So far it has.

Captains and FO's like myself always forget to turn off our cell phones before take off and never once has it interfered with NAV/COMMS.
The reason for prohibiting cell phones and GPS devices on the gound is because it creates a distraction during the critical phases of flight and also creates extra flying debris if an incident occurs. In flight, cell phones are usually worthless because they don't recieve signals at altitude. As for GPS, it's probably for security reasons.

My cellphone receives signals in flight. I've received text messages up to 31,000 feet before, after having discovered I accidently left the thing on after takeoff. So, cell phones are not worthless in flight.

logolight said:
Captains and FO's like myself always forget to turn off our cell phones before take off and never once has it interfered with NAV/COMMS.

There's some solid reasoning! "It's never happened to me, therefore it never will."

The reason for prohibiting cell phones and GPS devices on the gound is because it creates a distraction during the critical phases of flight and also creates extra flying debris if an incident occurs. [/B]

your source?

logolight said:
The reason for prohibiting cell phones and GPS devices on the gound is because it creates a distraction during the critical phases of flight and also creates extra flying debris if an incident occurs. In flight, cell phones are usually worthless because they don't recieve signals at altitude. As for GPS, it's probably for security reasons.

Actually I believe the FCC, not the FAA bans the use of cell phones for none IFR aircraft. And the FCC's reasoning is because of the older phones will tower hop causing the transmission to be received by more towers than it was meant to causing interference (similar thing supposedly happens to VOR's at the upper altitudes).

Hugh Jorgan said:
Initial contact happens via the internet all the time. It's a little unusual to cultivate that into a "serious" relationship without actually meeting in person, though. All too often, these sort of meetings have a way of disappointing. Unfortunately, people are sometimes quite deceptive when they have the protection of not being there in person. I hope this doesn't happen to you and that your "girlfriend" turns out to be in person, what you imagine her to be based on the information she has supplied you thus far.
Sorry to digress here too, but I met my future wife on an aviation board (not this one, but she posts here). Our first meeting was wonderful beyond my wildest expectations, as has been each meeting since. I'll be leaving SC at the end of this week to be with her full time. A wonderful, beautiful woman, and a superb pilot too!
Good luck,
Mark

Trip was GREAT

Hey everyone,
Figured I would post a post trip report. I got back yesterday at noon from metting my now official GF in Corpus Christi Texas:

First of all a huge thanks to all you guys at American Airlines. I was able to see 3 cockpits and sit in 2. The pilots we're so cool, my thanks to all you guys for allowing student pilots like me to still imagine and refire us up for future flying!

The trip was great, it was my best vacation ever. I met Kimmy, the girl I had met for the first time online. She was great. I spent all but 15 minutes with her from thurs-monday. We had a deeper connection than either of us imagined. I've never felt so bad getting on a plane. It was the worst emotional pain I've ever felt. I miss her a lot. It wont be forever though, and we have a very good future outlook together :D . Thanks to all the support and encouragement from this board. The photo in my avatar is of us right before I went through security at KCRP heading home.

Sidenotes:

Security was nice for once, actualy felt like pre 9/11 for a change. First time I didnt set of the d**m metal detector since 3/01

I hate the TrAAin. could be be any crappier?

Our ERJ was 2200lbs overweight leaving dfw so they kicked 11 people off. Isnt this unusual for an ERJ-145LR?

The CRJ-700 seems pretty nice.

DFW sucked as always.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back