Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Grandpa +65

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

Could Delta and US Airways be engaged in a tit-for-tat battle over routes out of New York LaGuardia and Washington National airports? That's the opinion of Brett Snyder, author of The Cranky Flier aviation blog.
His column on the subject comes shortly after each airline announced new flights -- Delta at Washington and US Airways at New York -- following the collapse of a proposed slot between the airlines.
RELATED: US Airways ramps up schedule at LaGuardia
RELATED: Delta expands schedule at Washington National
Noting that "US Airways will be adding a net of 17 new flights a day at capacity-controlled LaGuardia," Snyder wonders "where exactly are these magical slots coming from? According to US Airways, the slots were on a 'short-term lease' that has now ended. Hmm, anyone want to guess to whom those were leased? If your guess isn't Delta, hang your head in shame," Snyder writes.
And, since that slot-swap deal fell through, Delta announced it would expand at Washington National and -- now -- US Airways at LaGuardia. In the fallout, Snyder concludes that in the fallout of the collapsed deal, Delta "took its slots back from US Airways at National and decided to build them up. US Airways ... then took its slots back and decided to throw down in New York as well."
Snyder says: "Nothing says summer fun like an airline brawl, right?"
Check out Snyder's Cranky Flier column on the subject for of his take on the possible Delta-US Airways spat.

Posted Aug 17 2010 2:52PM

Some may see it as a fight. I see it as both companies using all of their slots available to them. If they opt to swap again, the competitiveness will not appreciably change.

Just my take.

I always remember seeing US and Delta equally matched for market share in the nifty power point presentations Wolf and Rakesh used to put on for us.

Funny thing was that Delta always had a bigger jet at the gate compared to what we were driving.

If US had a Dash-8, they had an RJ
If US had an F100, they had an MD80
If US had a 737, they had a 757
If US has a 757, they had a 767-300
If US had an A330, they had a 777.

Brawl? I dunno. More like grumpy neighbors. Delta has a MUCH larger route network to leverage against US though... not much of a brawl. More of a nuisance.

P.S. I absolutely loved my airline on a Dash-8 yesterday from PHL-HPN. No APU, nearly saw a passenger riot as temperatures went north of 100F in the cabin with no airflow. Nice dark blue paint job. Some of the worst inflight customer service I've witnessed in a long time.

8 years of airlining to and from work and I've never had an adventure close to this one.

Last edited:
This is made up BS by a guy selling newspapers.....

Unless the fight is with the crybabies at SWA, I could care less.....

Southwest does their own flying,

Delta and USair, not so much...

Wait, Gen Lee said Westjet dumped you guys. So, Southwest tried to have someone else fly certain routes for them, and then was dumped? Is that true? An airline dumped you guys? You must feel crushed like you did on Middle School prom night with your boyfriend.

Latest resources

Back