• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Arbitrator Rules Furloughed US Airways Pilots Will Lose Seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is similar to the American/TWA acquisition except the unions were different (APA/ALPA).

The APA was under no obligation to arbitrate seniority integration with TWA. APA's CBA is very simple - to the bottom of the list you go.

Even if TWA/ALPA arbitration survived the negotiating process with AMR, the APA did not have to agree to enter arbitration with TWA. The arbitration would have been between APA and AMR not APA pilots and TWA pilots.

Not that it matted, the APA went against their own agreement and agreed to integrate TWA pilots – instead of stapling all of them.

But some will still say TWA pilots were screwed.

This is similar to the American/TWA aquisition except the unions were different (APA/ALPA).

No, respectfully.

AA/TWA was settled by AA pilots of APA without regard to ALPA merger policy. The transaction was completed in BK as an asset transfer.

AAA/AWA's Nicolau award supposedly used ALPA merger policy and is being contested by the AAA pilots. The transaction was a merger that neither airline could afford on it's own and effectively crutched each up on the other to avoid mutual collapse.

IMHO, this particular transaction is a hint of things to come with future consolidation??

I think the moral of the story, (repeated again from history) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let an "nuetral" arbitrator decide senority integration. Can someone point out a good merger that went to arbitration and settled with happy results? It always seems to be a landslide victory for one side or the other.

Last edited:
I think the moral of the story, (repeated again from history) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let an "nuetral" arbitrator decide senority integration. Can someone point out a good merger that went to arbitration and settled with happy results? It always seems to be a landslide victory for one side or the other.

I dont think happy results are possible... both pilot groups wanted to completely hose the other... no matter what happened someone will be pissed.

I won't say too much about the overall integration, other than I think the USAir pilots got a bit of a raw deal. Not a total screw job, but I certainly think they should have done better.

However, on the issue of a furloughed USAir pilot vs an active AWA pilots, I agree 100% with the arbitrator. Sorry folks, but a furloughed pilot is an umemployed pilot. There is no way an unemployed pilot should go ahead of a pilot with a job in a seniority integration.

What happens if the MidAtlantic pilots win their lawsuit proving that they were actually recalled, and MDA was not separate from mainline? That means that as of May 2005 the most junior CEL pilot was ACTIVE at AAA. Will they have to reintegrate the lists?

4lowed

Wasn't the other 18 page thread sufficient to cover this ad-nauseum? There's nothing new here. Sure, this will be debated until we all retire, but I think just about everything to be said was said last week. If you keep picking at the scab, it isn't going to heal.

What happens if the MidAtlantic pilots win their lawsuit proving that they were actually recalled, and MDA was not separate from mainline? That means that as of May 2005 the most junior CEL pilot was ACTIVE at AAA. Will they have to reintegrate the lists?

Seniority integration is a matter for collective agreements not the courts. There has never been an integration that was overturned or modified by a court.

Will this be the first? No, integration is decided by collective bargaining just like the AWA and U integration.

Without the West, you would have been liquidated. It doesn't matter that right now your side has the better yields or whatever, the point of all of this is that you would have shut down and someone else would have taken your Shuttle flying and your slots at LGA, DCA, etc. Gone. It is time for you cry babies to wake up and not be so snotty. You both accepted arbitration, and it didn't go your way. That is your fault.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Moron, as stated I am not for here or there. I don't work for either of those companies. You seemed to have missed the point. Once again the WEST did nothing. If it wasn't for the investors...you too may be working for Mesa.

Moron, as stated I am not for here or there. I don't work for either of those companies. You seemed to have missed the point. Once again the WEST did nothing. If it wasn't for the investors...you too may be working for Mesa.

So whose good credit did the investors believe in-AWA's or USAirways?

Latest resources

Back