• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Arbitrator Rules Furloughed US Airways Pilots Will Lose Seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
4) Any AA pilot who says that the APA should have "stapled the TWA pilots like they did the OZ pilots" would have done just fine by me. Staple me "like the OZ pilots".....with DOH and fences.

stlflyguy

that is news to me... OZ got DOH, not a staple. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

HOWEVER, one fact must be mentioned with the TWA/OZ deal: TWA had not hired from 1979 all the way through 1985, whereas OZ hired every year to 1986. Therefore, despite getting a DOH integration, in reality 80% of OZ pilots went to the bottom of the TWA list. In other words, had TWA stapled 80% of the OZ pilots, it would've been the same as DOH. Similarily (inversely) Reno got a full staple at AA... but Reno started up around '92 and AA stopped hiring in '93... so Reno really got almost a full DOH integration.

...those RJs didn't steal mainline flying, IT WAS GIVEN TO THEM BY MAINLINE. .

He said that:

Originally Posted by nwaredtail
As I watched RJ after RJ take off last week from PHL and LGA, THATS where the AAA Captain jobs are, given away in an effort to save their pension. THATS who the junior AAA guys should be angry at......

that is news to me... OZ got DOH, not a staple. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

HOWEVER, one fact must be mentioned with the TWA/OZ deal: TWA had not hired from 1979 all the way through 1985, whereas OZ hired every year to 1986. Therefore, despite getting a DOH integration, in reality 80% of OZ pilots went to the bottom of the TWA list. In other words, had TWA stapled 80% of the OZ pilots, it would've been the same as DOH. Similarily (inversely) Reno got a full staple at AA... but Reno started up around '92 and AA stopped hiring in '93... so Reno really got almost a full DOH integration.

And TWA had hired in '94 or '95 all the way into '01. AA didn't resume hiring until, what, '98?

Your statement also says nothing about the OZ pilots hired prior to '80, who were slotted in DOH. My point was the APA/AA spinmeisters tried to justify their actions to the pilots. It didn't help that APA's legal counsel was the one that represented the OZ pilots during the TWA merger.

stlflyguy

And TWA had hired in '94 or '95 all the way into '01. AA didn't resume hiring until, what, '98?

Your statement also says nothing about the OZ pilots hired prior to '80, who were slotted in DOH. My point was the APA/AA spinmeisters tried to justify their actions to the pilots. It didn't help that APA's legal counsel was the one that represented the OZ pilots during the TWA merger.

stlflyguy

stl, i'm on your side man. relax. what i'm trying to say is: in the grand scheme of things, OZ was an 80% staple. the other 20% was true DOH (including the pre-1980 guys.) This was due to the different hiring between the two airlines. my point is, DOH can sometimes be the same thing as a staple. In other words, the OZ/TWA deal was a back room deal between the TWA MEC and Icahn, and NOT ALPA merger policy. But they used the magic "DOH" words to smooth things over and make it a sell. I've flown with enough OZ guys to know the story.

Our integration has nothing to do with this, it was totally different. I'm not trying to justify anything, just pointing out some facts as they relate to the US/AWA integration. Nobody is trying to justify our deal.

Latest resources

Back