Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HA pilot

Aloha update?

In general terms, whats the mood at AQ? From the outside it seems that survival is not the big issue. Any update?

Last edited:
Well if you didn't see the papers yet, the company said they plan to send our pensions to the PBGC. No word what the PBGC says about that. I heard the retirees already have a group together and are going to fight it. The pilot's pension fund is well funded so it will be intersting to see what the judge and the PBGC have to say.

The company also said it needs more concessions to be able to exit BK. We are currently in negotiations. and like HAL they have threaten to file 1113C.

The judge granted the company exclusivity so any other bidders are shut out.

I wonder if the HA and AQ MEC's are talking to each other being we just went through all of this. It seems that HAL could maybe help as to not reinvent the wheel. Timing is everything.

The PBGC is in serious debt (23.3 Billion to be exact). Do they have the authority to tell Aloha to go to hell, or do they have to take over the pensions if AQ get's it's way?

Best of luck guys. A neighbor of mine is an AQ captain that retires soon.

HA pilot said:
I wonder if the HA and AQ MEC's are talking to each other being we just went through all of this. It seems that HAL could maybe help as to not reinvent the wheel. Timing is everything.

I hope so, I'm certain our MEC stands ready willing and able if the AQ MEC ask's.
It's my understanding their pension was pretty well funded. That would be criminal to dump it on the PBGC and use their pension to fund their screw-ups.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051008/BUSINESS03/510080329

I bet the Chings and Ings will have their okole's covered via holding companies and they won't be feeling much pain. They will lose equity in the airline, but my guess is that dumping THEIR obligation on the PBGC will be done to save themselves cash.
Hang in there guys.

Last edited:
Thanks you HAL guys! We appreciate the support. The feeling over here is that we have a couple options to look at. The worst would be Chapter 7. The next worst would be a full on judge imposed contract. The good thing about that is we do get to look at what happened in your situation. So that could be a good thing and a bad thing. If he doesn't adjust our wages to match yours, it's ugly. If he does, well we have set a new bar. Our two managements will have then lowered the 'standards' of living for a pilot in Hawaii.

Funniest thing of all is that this Yucaipa is coming into this saying that they are labor friendly. They have Bill Clinton and Jesse Jackson on their board of directors. I can just see Slick Willy saying, "what does 'friendly' really mean?.....I mean, what is, 'is'...truthfully now, I never had relations....." oh you get the picture. Labor friendly to them is not friendly to you and I. Their opening line was, "we are here to save you, we are labor friendly, and we aint paying for your pensions you blue collar schmucks!"

The Republican in me says way to go guys! The blue collar laborer in me says, damn....I wonder what kinda handouts the liberals are giving in the People's Republic of Hawaii nowadays....

And yeah, our A fund was FULLY funded until the end of Sept. Good luck getting the PGBC to roll over on that one...idiots...(management I mean)

AQ pilot, would it be a good thing or a bad thing if Judge Farris adjusted AQ pay to match HA pay? I'm not sure I understood you post. Our pay is not that bad, at least for today anyway.

Thanks for the support HAL guys. Having a judge impose your pay would truly be a wet dream for us. Latest rumor is a special committee has found a dress shared by both the Chings and Ings with a very large stain on it.

StrangeBrew said:
Thanks for the support HAL guys. Having a judge impose your pay would truly be a wet dream for us. Latest rumor is a special committee has found a dress shared by both the Chings and Ings with a very large stain on it.

Hope the rumor is true. Your strong point was your well funded retirement, to allow the Chings/Ings to work whatever deal they can at the expense of the retirement savings of the employee's and the PBGC is almost unbelivable.
It's one thing to take concessions to "live to fight another day" it's a whole neither deal to use your retirement savings to benefit the Chings and Ings.

HA pilot said:
AQ pilot, would it be a good thing or a bad thing if Judge Farris adjusted AQ pay to match HA pay? I'm not sure I understood you post. Our pay is not that bad, at least for today anyway.

That's the problem with us now..."our pay is not THAT bad, at least for TODAY anyway." We all sound like beat dogs around here you know that....(and I know what you meant!)

I was in no way trying to be insulting towards the HAL contract at all. The way the AQ contract is now (and I say now as in not for long) is a thing of beauty for labor. I don't think anyone could argue that. What I wast trying to say is that if we got stuck with a lessor contract (as we undoubtably will) that we would like to have wages as nice as Hawaiian's. Does that sound any better?

Before you jump on me, yeah, I mean to say that our current contract is better than your current contract. But your pay is better than our pay hands down. When you combine the two they kinda even out, sorta, in a way, maybe, uh so-so.....

Flicker, behave...I'm not saying anything here! Be nice now! ;-)

Latest resources

Back