• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA's response to AA's union busting tactics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those of you who say "APA will eventually bend over and take it like everyone else" are already defeated. We need to promote the profession, one carrier at a time, not negotiate with such a defeatist mindset.

For the record, we have had an unprecedented number of pilots simply quit. Guys with 15+ years, not new hires, are simply saying "Adios MF" and moving on. That's the sort of attitude many of us have. It is entirely conceivable that we will burn the house down.

I'm still burning over management's latest proposal.

"No pay raise. Work harder and longer for more money."

Those of you who say "APA will eventually bend over and take it like everyone else" are already defeated. We need to promote the profession, one carrier at a time, not negotiate with such a defeatist mindset.

For the record, we have had an unprecedented number of pilots simply quit. Guys with 15+ years, not new hires, are simply saying "Adios MF" and moving on. That's the sort of attitude many of us have. It is entirely conceivable that we will burn the house down.

I'm still burning over management's latest proposal.

"No pay raise. Work harder and longer for more money."
Gorilla, I'm not being a defeatist, just realistic. If, and it's a big if, this negotiation ends in the APA trying to strike, see how long it lasts. George W. will force you back to work so fast it will make your head spin. AMR knows this, so they are in Centreport just laughing at any tough talk from Lloyd. As a former AMR employee, I know how bad employee relations are over there. Good luck to you all...

Gorilla, I'm not being a defeatist, just realistic. If, and it's a big if, this negotiation ends in the APA trying to strike, see how long it lasts. George W. will force you back to work so fast it will make your head spin. AMR knows this, so they are in Centreport just laughing at any tough talk from Lloyd. As a former AMR employee, I know how bad employee relations are over there. Good luck to you all...

Then the airline will be in the same death spiral as EAL under Lorenzo and TWA under Icahn.

Might as well see where everyone stands now so we can get on with our lives if AMR pulls the plug over an improved contract.

If they let it go to a strike and the President (Sick Hilly, maybe?) doesn't act to stop it, then the fix is in and AA will go to Ch. 11.

Oh well, I've been out of work before... ;) Gotta run, there's a beer in the vending machine downstairs with my name on it. :D TC

George W. will force you back to work so fast it will make your head spin. AMR knows this, so they are in Centreport just laughing at any tough talk from Lloyd.

The President doesn't have the ability to stop a strike permanently. He can force the workers back to work temporarily with a PEB, but that only lasts for 30 days. After 30 days, if the workers or the company refuses the terms recommended by the PEB, then they can again engage in self help.

I'm not a big fan of Captain Hill, but even I have to admit that I got a kick out of that letter. Well done.

Not to get too much into politics but wasn't it Clinton who ordered the AMR pilots back to work in 97 but Bush who did nothing to stop the nearly 3 month Comair strike in 2001.

NWA did not get 150% pay over 80 hours with a strike.

NWA got it the new way. Labor still has a hammer and hard ball negotiations can be done, should be done, and will be done by those willing to make this profession worth doing.

UAL also got a great contract in 2000 without striking.

I hope Lloyd does more than talk. He needs to walk the walk and show ALPA who the unions work to serve.

Exactly. The You will hear tough talk from the APA over the next few months, but in the end they will bend over and say thank you just like the rest. I hope I'm wrong, time will tell...

You’re wrong. Except for a couple of management apologists, the vast majority of our group is focused like never before. AMR management is trying to lock-in the 2003 pay cuts for the long-term and to also get additional productivity gives this contract. Management’s strategy is to continually compare us against the wages and productivity of the carriers emerging from bankruptcy while not mentioning a peep about the pay scales at LUV, UPS or FedEx. They will do everything in their power to delay, delay and delay.

No doubt this is an uphill battle, but it’s one we can win if we stick together. Now’s the time to take back the profession.

In my estimation, you will see this go very deep into a cooling off period and very likely end up in a strike and/or PEB. Right now the company and the union are miles apart.

AA767AV8TOR

This is a good example of what can be done when you combine a pissed-off crewforce with an in-house union.

You'd never see such rhetoric from ALPA and their "takin a nap" strategy.

Good luck guys and gals.

It was briefed at our LGA domicile meeting that AA pilot suicides are up 600% over normal annual occurrences this year.

AA767AV8TOR

Marrying 60 year old FAs will have this effect.

Latest resources

Back