• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APAAD regrouping to challenge age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Folks, there is an easy fix to this. The first time you fly with someone over 60, look over, and at the first sign of a little nappy-poo, BAAM, FAA phone call, certificate action, etc....... very easy.

Cruise and autoland

Cruise is the safest phase of flight. Plus putting the autopilot on at less than 500 feet after takeoff and doing an autoland at the destination helps.

Do you actually fly Boeing aircraft? I don't think so. I have been on the A330 for two years and have never seen an actual autoland in the aircraft. Yes, usually with a crew of three guys over 55 years old, sometimes all three of us over 59 we continue to fly safely back and forth to Europe where we safely manually land the aircraft week after week, month after month, year after year.

Andy,

How likely do you think that the age change provision will be added to the new Senate Transportation Treasury Housing and Urban Development Appropriations (TTHUD) Bill next year like the APAAD expects?

HR 5576 is dead, as with all bills. For some reason, the APAAD thinks that a CR keeps appropriations bills alive across sessions of Congress. It does not.

While appropriations bills will likely be rolled into a single omnibus bill, they won't be rolled into that bill until after they are scrubbed by dem controlled appropriations subcommittees. Not only will this likely be pulled out of the transportation bill, it is also likely that all appropriations bills will be scrubbed of any controversial language - and because the text of S 65 is legislative, it is highly controversial. The reason why all appropriations bills are likely to be scrubbed of any controversial language is because it will be difficult to get an omnibus appropriations bill through the Senate and they will need to remove as much contentious points as possible to get 60 votes.

Andy,

I believe you are the same Andy who posts on Airline Pilot Central also. My guess is you are using the "system" to stay on LOA with the Air Force to maybe get in "20" to get your retirement before you return to UAL so you want more age 60 attrition there to better your position before you go back. I believe that one of your "compromises" on changing age 60 is that it should only apply to new ATP's or new hires. Well by that logic when age 60 was put in place by CR Smith and Elwood Quesada there were lots of pilots over 60 who were actively flying and there was no age 60 rule when they were hired, in fact everybody who was flying at that time should not have had to retire then--it should only have applied to new hires then.
Everybody I've known who was actively flying and hit age 60 at my airline would do just fine continuing on--most have gone on to other flying employment because of their forced firing at age 60. If you are going to medical out it usually occurs well before age 60. Most pilots flying in 1960 were living in an age when they all drank like fishes, smoked like chimneys, and nobody had ever heard of aerobic excercise. I for one have never smoked, don't drink much, try to excercise and have pretty good genetics. I'm 53, on my first wife, have two kids in college, haven't lived beyond my means throughly enjoy my job and at this point I would prefer to continue beyond age 60. I may change my mind by then, I may only want to go a year or two past 60 maybe not at all. However, I want it to be my choice. I have no respect for ALPA changing their stance on age 60 in 1980. They are the only union to totally turn their backs on their most senior and longest paying members-ALPA pac will never get a dime of my money until they change their stance on age 60.

Merry ChrisKwanziKuh to all.

Airfogey

Thats ok Freight Dog, my money that could go to ALPA pac goes to APAAD, however I'm sure that lots of my dues money over the years has gone to preserve affirmative action for co-pilots.

Airfogey

Affirmative action is always better than negative action, so to speak.

Latest resources

Back